No announcement yet.

Thatcher Cosplay - Can't Truss It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no physician but I do wonder if Liz Truss is medicating with an amphetamine of some sort. Maybe Adderall or something like it. It would explain a good deal.

Comment

I think she's just high on her own self importance and self-estimated brilliance so when she gets asked questions that don't follow the cooing script of being adored she gets flummoxed. Basically it's cognitive dissonance where reality doesn't accord with her expectations.

Comment

Possibly. There's the body language too though. Like the blank rictus grin she ends her pronouncements with. You can almost see her eyeballs spinning.

Comment

She seems to lack media training (or to just not have absorbed any of it) and bad at thinking on her feet. The long awkward pause after every question is deadly and really stands out for a career politician, as being able to fill it confidently with meaningless waffle must be the first thing they teach on PPE courses

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

He’s a former editor of The Spectator. He fronted the appalling GB News. His political leanings are well known.

I’m just saying that tonight, in contrast to so many political interviews I’ve heard this week, Neil appropriately challenged a high ranking Tory on the current economic crisis.
            In contrast to many such interviews, no doubt. But not at all in contrast to the interviews Truss had with BBC local radio. As someone pointed out, that is no doubt because the interviewing journalists (apart from being very good) knew, unlike the national media folk, that this would be the only time they ever got to interview her, so couldn't give a toss about being denied "access" in future if they upset her too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
              She seems to lack media training (or to just not have absorbed any of it) and bad at thinking on her feet. The long awkward pause after every question is deadly and really stands out for a career politician, as being able to fill it confidently with meaningless waffle must be the first thing they teach on PPE courses
              All true of course. It's just remarkable she managed to rise to the highest political position in the country with those deficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

All true of course. It's just remarkable she managed to rise to the highest political position in the country with those deficiencies.

She was seen as a hard worker and competent in at least some of her ministerial roles. Her loyalty to Johnson went down well with many party members and her hardline ideology appealed too.

No-one voted for her for her oratorical ability or engaging personality.

Comment

You'd think they'd vote for someone whom you'd back to win a General Election.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

She was seen as a hard worker and competent in at least some of her ministerial roles. Her loyalty to Johnson went down well with many party members and her hardline ideology appealed too.

No-one voted for her for her oratorical ability or engaging personality.
                    But she must have made speeches when she was running for election, attending conferences, and the like. Communication-wise there's no way she could have been utterly naive.

Comment

There's the confidence someone has when preaching to the converted then there's the brain freeze some people have when having to persuade a neutral or skeptical audience. I still feel she could be coached into a decent speaker but it can't help that she's trying to sell a disastrous set of goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        The MPs might take that into account.

The party ultras never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

But she must have made speeches when she was running for election, attending conferences, and the like. Communication-wise there's no way she could have been utterly naive.

Oh yes, and there were some notoriously bad performances amongst them. She's long been seen as one of the worst public speakers at the top of the party, though usually a bit better at interviews. But her defence of the mini-budget, when it eventually came, has been wholly unconvincing.

To be perfectly honest, the strategy of her and her team is pretty much incomprehensible. A Ukraine invasion level of poor judgement, opaque objectives and an unmodelled end-game.

Comment

Her most famous speech was "PORK MARKETS!!!" and "CHEESE!!!" delivered in such an unexpected style they became memes. (That speech was in 2014 and returned with a vengeance this year.)

Comment

Some rumours about of Kwarteng doing a U-turn on the 45p tax rate ahead of the conference.

Comment

Those rumours have just been mentioned on BBC Radio 5.

Comment

https://twitter.com/KwasiKwarteng/status/1576820620293468160?s=20&t=g5Y-mShUuUn0wryJsiHZSQ

Comment

The lady is for turning.

Comment

It only cost £65bn.

Comment

Truss threw Kwarteng under the bus yesterday regarding the 45p tax cut and said it was his call, so maybe he decided that he might as well make the reversal off his own back too.
                                        It already looks bad because when they finally did show up they doubled down on the decision and said they were determined to see it through.

Comment

Well, it didn’t because all the other nasty stuff is still there so they can claim they listened and move on.

Comment

What Snake said. Put out the least popular stuff (which, as TAB pointed out, wasn't actually going to come into effect for six months anyway), row back the policy that causes the biggest uproar of all and let the proles think they've won a victory, while ploughing on with all the other stuff that will still make things measurably worse than they were before.

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            You could pin a blue rosette on a piece of shit on a stick and it would win a general election.

Comment

Hugh Bonneville tweeted the best tweet, per character count, that I've ever seen:

- 45p + P45

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

In contrast to many such interviews, no doubt..
                                                Which is exactly the point I was making. That’s all. I know about Neil’s politics and his dark past. I wasn’t suggesting a revised view of him. My use of “so many” and not “all” when referring to political interviews I’ve heard recently made it clear I didn’t believe he was the only journalist capable of a rigorous interview, but I do think that on national media platforms they are becoming increasingly rare. And that was my point. Even bad people do good things sometimes.
                                                Last edited by Tony C; 03-10-2022, 09:12.

Comment

And there it is…

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1576841620942737408

Comment

Fucking vile.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X