Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much better would Sunak have been?

Comment

Of all the papers, The Daily Star wins tomorrow's front pages with "Honey I shrunk the quids".

And on the subject of playing on people's names, "Margarine Thatcher" is trending on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        More cautious than Truss, would have promised jam tomorrow (or in three years time) rather than the cake or death today that Truss is offering

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          He's pretty much a Tory Tony Blair. His solution would have been accepted by many floating voters and Tories would hang onto power.

That's the only ray of sunshine I ha e about this whole thing. Goodbye Tories, your time is up, no normal person would be stupid enough to vote for them now.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

By getting to power on the back of policies which played to the 130,000 Tory party members, and then applying those policies to the whole population.

I've previously predicted another leadership election within 12 months, and now I'm revising that to Easter at the latest. Not only that but they'll change the rules to only allow their MPs to vote, "for the good of the party".
            I just can't see how they'd get away with this, there must be huge pressure at that point to call a general election. Tory members had their chance and balled it up, let the public decide now.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

I just can't see how they'd get away with this, there must be huge pressure at that point to call a general election. Tory members had their chance and balled it up, let the public decide now.
              They won't give a fuck. They lied to the Maj and illegally proroged (sp?) Parliament, they won't give a fuck about what Twitter thinks about them having another leadership election in quick succession. They'll hang on to the window ledge until the very last minute, hoping for some fluke to save them, and then and only then will they allow the public to have a say.
              Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 27-09-2022, 02:04. Reason: Correcting crucial typo there

Comment

Walt is saving me a lot of time and characters and for that I am thankful.

As the US discovered under Trump, the UK is coming to realise that many things it thought of as ineluctable rules are in fact no more than norms that sociopaths actually enjoy breaking.

Comment

Adam Tooze is always worth reading

"Did the Truss government unleash this avalanche on purpose? That is hardly what the “moron premium” suggests. But we should certainly expect them to turn the crisis that they have created against the public sector in pursuit of their misbegotten vision of a small-state revolution."

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1574635903104024577?s=20&t=cXryapuZhaMr4AjfCEte2w

Comment

Of all the papers, The Daily Star wins tomorrow's front pages with "Honey I shrunk the quids".

And on the subject of playing on people's names, "Margarine Thatcher" is trending on Twitter.
                    The Daily Star has a good line in scathing headlines against the government I noticed

Comment

Yeah, these doyles actually believe their own ideological rubbish that they have been peddling and, revisiting a gag I made here years ago, they have got high on their own supply side.

Comment

A Telegraph headline mentioned another reason why the Truss junta will carry on, saving Brexit which is somewhat done by tanking the economy. The Tooze article is very likely to be on the money, incompentence certainly plays a part but they have a plan, one inspired by 'mavericks' like Minfford.

Comment

The quote that Nef shared and Snake's comment earlier actually makes this make sense. These ideologues hate the public sector and are going after it, making their buddies rich in the process.

Comment

That Daily Mail headline attacking "City slickers" is taken from the Morning Star c1983. As opposed to the old Daily Mail, attacking loony lefties whose economic illiteracy would cause a run on the pound, all hail the holy markets.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Also I'm not going to tarnish the thread by posting them, but the contrast between Saturday's Daily Heil front page and tomorrow's is unintentionally hilarious.
                              That Heil lead is pitiful. It blames the hedge funders for tanking the pound and undermining the government's tax policy without even mentioning the link between them and Kwarteng.
                              Pravda level journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

The Daily Star has a good line in scathing headlines against the government I noticed
                                The Daily Star can be be clever when it wants to be. Like the time Meghan Markle announced she was pregnant and they ran with the headline "Woman who wants privacy tells the World she's pregnant".

Comment

YouGov poll Labour ahead by 17 points, 45 to 28.
                                  So, the Tories drive the economy off a cliff, in addition to fuel, energy and other inflationary rises, strikes all over the place and Starmer still can't get 20 points ahead.

Comment

https://twitter.com/graceblakeley/status/1574670914280902656?s=20&t=ZEJHhTNjqUpzZWYFrrqB2g

Comment

Mortgage lenders pulling their products now.

Comment

"Running to the IMF" was the accusation the Tories made against the 1974-79 Labour government.

This shitshow is essentially because the Tory members wouldn't forgive Sunak for resigning rather than let Johnson carry on taking the piss.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-09-2022, 09:13.

Comment

Well, that and something else about him, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                                            Well, that and something else about him, perhaps.
                                            My thoughts exactly

Comment

Let's not lose perspective. Sunak would merely have been the chlamydia in comparison to Truss's full blown syphilis. He was still an out of touch tax dodging cunt.
                                              Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 27-09-2022, 09:40.

Comment

Moving away from the national level catastrophe II

https://twitter.com/uglygame/status/1574696898174537733?t=zO83hLqe7N9CsbSGpSL1Wg&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                  Adam Tooze is always worth reading

"Did the Truss government unleash this avalanche on purpose? That is hardly what the “moron premium” suggests. But we should certainly expect them to turn the crisis that they have created against the public sector in pursuit of their misbegotten vision of a small-state revolution."

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1574635903104024577?s=20&t=cXryapuZhaMr4AjfCEte2w
                                                  if only to know what he is talking about now. I don't see it. There's at least one level of complexity too many going on there. The tax cuts are announced now, are only going to happen in april, and any collapse in govt finances between now and then is going to lead to the cancellation of the tax cuts first, before it leads to massive spending cuts. Since huge tax cuts are clearly their only idea for what to do, I suspect they've simply gone ahead with pushing the story out now, to make a strong start, and did not understand or expect how other people would respond.

Also, they're the govt, if they want to push through a massive spending cut, they just have to cut spending. They don't need an actual crisis to do it.

Comment

I was struggling to decide between ideological malice and stupidity as being behind this. I think if it is intentional, then it's not so much about shrinking the state (which, as Berba says, they can do overnight if they want to - Osborne certainly went down that road after all) but a deliberate effort to trash the economy. Which makes you wonder why they would want to trash the economy - and I would suspect it's either because they hate everyone of us in this country and want us to suffer (I am not ruling this out until evidence suggests otherwise) or they are mates with disaster capitalists who will pick over the ruined pieces and sell them on for personal gain. Either or both kind of fits with the Minford view of the economy to which they seem to be in thrall.

It could of course be stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X