No announcement yet.

Thatcher Cosplay - Can't Truss It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just a badly managed economic mess. The recession is probably inevitable but not current - government actions seem to be to accelerate it (and possibly make it more savage) under a cover of something else altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      I saw the Chancellor referred to as Kwasikame Kwarteng earlier. It made me laugh.
      I saw a tweet the other day along the lines of if this is only a Kwasi Kwarteng I wouldn't want a proper one.

Is this a laughing at funny foreign names thing? I feel like it isn't and it's just mildly satirical puns like the thread title, but it may be that I am the real racist because I have to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
        You are in a recession. The Bank of England said so five days ago.
        Kwarteng also almost agreed in an interview with Chris Mason the other day, but pulled back from it at the last moment.

Comment

Fair enough. I suppose I should say exacerbate the crisis to the point where it causes a sharp increase in unemployment and probably a house price crash. Not quite as catchy though.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

I saw a tweet the other day along the lines of if this is only a Kwasi Kwarteng I wouldn't want a proper one.

Is this a laughing at funny foreign names thing? I feel like it isn't and it's just mildly satirical puns like the thread title, but it may be that I am the real racist because I have to ask.
            I think it's both, depending on the biases of the teller and listener, which are often unknowable. I would refrain from making the pun unless I was only with close friends who would know my intentions were benign (you're probably safe on OTF in that regard but even then, some malicious prick might quote you elsewhere and twist it).

I certainly wouldn't tweet it, on those grounds.

Comment

Has anyone raised Thatcher’s famous “you can't buck the markets" with Truss yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I think it's both, depending on the biases of the teller and listener, which are often unknowable. I would refrain from making the pun unless I was only with close friends who would know my intentions were benign (you're probably safe on OTF in that regard but even then, some malicious prick might quote you elsewhere and twist it).

I certainly wouldn't tweet it, on those grounds.
                That's fair, to my mind.

Comment

I disagree on punning with names. We can make jokes with "Truss" but not with "Kwasi"? There have been "Priti" puns on OTF. Nobody has ever queried that as potentially racist.

Comment

Well, I am saying that I don't think on balance that it is, but someone with a different perspective might well be able to persuade me. I think I am an equal opportunities pun-maker, but I am aware that people who have non-traditional Anglo-Saxon, biblical, Western etc. names sometimes have to deal with bad faith mispronunciations and various other things. And the bad faith Right are certainly capable of suggesting Left hypocrisy if we pun on the names of bad actors doing terrible things if they are on their side...

Comment

Stewart Lee got into shit for playing with Tom Tugendhat's name. I honestly think it's an area best avoided. They're seldom funny anyway.

Comment

When I was at primary school in the 80s, I remember slightly out of date maths exercise books would show insane prices for sweets, 2p for a pack of fruit pastels, 1p for a pack of Wotsits.

We've gone decades now where such price hikes haven't occurred, but the next generation of primary school kids are going to experience that crazy "Corr, look how cheap Nicee'n'Spicy Nik Naks used to be in 2015!" sensation once again.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                          Has anyone raised Thatcher’s famous “you can't buck the markets" with Truss yet?
                          The UK is now borrowing at rates higher than those of Italy and Greece, reflecting that the markets think they are a less risky bet.

Comment

If the Bank of England doesn't make a statement after the close, there will be an absolute bloodbath as soon as trading resumes

And that will put them in direct opposition to the Government

Comment

It's all under control, the Chancellor has announced the OBR will be allowed to publish a forecast on, erm, 23 November.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1574367429379211265?t=Cbs8mXxSeVHhIUjKzUPLRw&s=19

This is from hours ago now, but he certainly looks rattled.

Comment

The man has willingly caught such an obvious hospital pass that you feel a little sorry for him.

Comment

Only if you don't think he was the one passing the ball.

Comment

Nah. Fuck him.

Comment

Him and every single cunt with him.

Comment

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1574448751896412160?s=20&t=F9aSUuzOVlMG9Yb8QGggNA

Comment

I tweeted out earlier that if the plan was to absolute trash every public service and set fire to the remains, in order to let it all be rebuilt by private companies, then you'd pretty much do this. Remember that these cunts listen to Minford, who said that destroying the UK's manufacturing sector was a benefit of Brexit.

Comment

https://twitter.com/edconwaysky/status/1574340968890900480?s=21&t=uH3dYZ-_qvOVLpA2sbXzZw

Comment

I fixed for 5 years in April 21, thank fuck... Wonder how it will be in 2026...

Comment

Yeah, thankfully also on a 5 year fixed (from 2020). Always seemed a bit silly to be on a fixed rate (we're both very risk averse). Until now.

Comment

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1574343512455258112?s=21&t=uH3dYZ-_qvOVLpA2sbXzZw

Comment

Working...
                                                    X