No announcement yet.

The Guardian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's cool guy in journalism is the writer (and Observer columnist) James Wong, who has announced that he will be writing to his editor to protest at the latest piece of trannybaiting (not linked) to issue from Kings Place. Always nice to see someone you already like for other reasons (he's a good writer) do that.

Comment

That piece is a disaster even by their usual "standards"

Comment

Would you go as far as to conclude that the article is clearly designed to imply that rapists can get into women's prisons by stealth, whilst covering itself with the disclaimer "though jail allocation is decided case by case"? I think it's very close to doing that, at the very least. And there's no critique of Raab's transphobic response.

And, as always, no trans voice is heard. The only "concerns" discussed are those of transphobes.

And then the deeper subtext is that any trans rights (and sympathetic attitudes towards trans people) are dubious because their logic leads to cases like this.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-01-2023, 22:52.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
          Today's cool guy in journalism is the writer (and Observer columnist) James Wong, who has announced that he will be writing to his editor to protest at the latest piece of trannybaiting (not linked) to issue from Kings Place. Always nice to see someone you already like for other reasons (he's a good writer) do that.
          Are you able to say where / how James has announced this?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Are you able to say where / how James has announced this?
            On Twitter. Won’t link in case that also links to the article

Comment

I did look, couldn't find it. No worries.

Comment

It seems I mentioned the wrong Guardian article above, which means there are actually two anti-trans pieces on there right now - one by Catherine B****** (to which Wong responded) and the other on prison policy.

Here's a Tweet by Wong you can view without clicking it or being forced to view the embedded article:

https://twitter.com/Botanygeek/status/1619680426527965184
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-01-2023, 22:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Would you go as far as to conclude that the article is clearly designed to imply that rapists can get into women's prisons by stealth, whilst covering itself with the disclaimer "though jail allocation is decided case by case"? I think it's very close to doing that, at the very least. And there's no critique of Raab's transphobic response.

And, as always, no trans voice is heard. The only "concerns" discussed are those of transphobes.

And then the deeper subtext is that any trans rights (and sympathetic attitudes towards trans people) are dubious because their logic leads to cases like this.
                  OK, I'll bite. Are you aware of any laws without unintended consequences? I write, of course, as a far-right transphobe.

Comment

I'm not aware of any unintended consequences of the Scottish law (in this case, the fact that an extremely small number of trans people had committed sex crimes before they transitioned) that can't be managed; and the ones that need to be managed are tiny anyway.

And of course, there are tons of CIS women in prisons who have committed violent crimes against other women, yet there's no moral panic about these women being in prison with other women.

Comment

I'm not aware of any unintended consequences of the Scottish law (in this case, the fact that an extremely small number of trans people had committed sex crimes before they transitioned) that can't be managed; and the ones that need to be managed are tiny anyway.

And of course, there are tons of CIS women in prisons who have committed violent crimes against other women, yet there's no moral panic about these women being in prison with other women.
                      There's what, two trans women prisoners that are being argued about here? I'm the proverbial man on the street and it seems pretty easy to me to design a system to accommodate their gender identity and keep other prisoners safe. And if it's all a ruse and a con, then so what? Women were kept safe anyway, wishes were accommodated in good faith and now we have improved practice for people who wish to transition and mean it.

Ben Bradshaw defying the whip to vote against this has surprised me since it happened, since he's normally on the Labour right. But as a gay man, he has to surely hear the echoes of "If we let them marry, then people will marry cats and cats or their own kids!" and all that nonsense. It's the same argument being made.

Comment

This has nothing to do with the Scottish GRC law that has been vetoed, I'd imagine it falls under the (reserved) Equalities Act 2010- ie this any unique to Scots Law.

Comment

It seems I mentioned the wrong Guardian article above, which means there are actually two anti-trans pieces on there right now - one by Catherine B****** (to which Wong responded) and the other on prison policy.
                          I was wondering because I'd seen a link to the former posted elsewhere and I thought that was disgraceful enough before realising there were two of them over the same weekend.

Comment

Another one today.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GuardianTravel/status/1622219253071122434

I appreciate one can't simply walk around wearing hair shirts, etc but at a time of food banks and people striking to earn a livable wage, stuff like this highlights how far out of touch Guardian Towers are with regular life.

(Also Venice-- a city whose citizens are publicly pleading for less tourists and whose populace have been freefalling due to housing being bought up for short-term rentals?!?)

Comment

The most amazingly out-of-touch line in that is "I...scheduled a session with Cindy Crawford’s life coach during one of my husband’s diving sessions."

I mean, don't we all?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                  The most amazingly out-of-touch line in that is "I...scheduled a session with Cindy Crawford’s life coach during one of my husband’s diving sessions."

I mean, don't we all?
                                  i'm hoping you will, and possibly share your childcare cheats as you do your coaching

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

I mean, don't we all?
                                    If the revolution ever comes, that sentence may well be the 'let them eat cake' moment.

Comment

‘We’ve got to move on’: John Lewis declares death of the floral midi dress

Fashion director Queralt Ferrer admits ‘customers love them’ but new collection ditches the flowers

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...ral-midi-dress

"A floral midi and trainers has become the de facto uniform across the country," apparently. I have no idea what they are on about.

Comment

There are parts of The Graun that I just don't delve into...

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                          ‘We’ve got to move on’: John Lewis declares death of the floral midi dress

Fashion director Queralt Ferrer admits ‘customers love them’ but new collection ditches the flowers

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...ral-midi-dress

"A floral midi and trainers has become the de facto uniform across the country," apparently. I have no idea what they are on about.

What’s a midi dress?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

What’s a midi dress?
                                            If you click on the link there are plenty of examples. Over the knee would be one way to phrase it.

Comment

I always wonder if the people who write those things are really happy to be doing it or if it feels as pointless to write as it does to read.

Comment

It is much weirder if one's first thought was that it was coming from

Comment

That was my first thought too, but he died, IIRC.

I don’t want to suggest that fashion is merely frivolous and stupid. My complaint is against letting the people who profit from changing fashion tell us when and how it has to change.

Comment

My thought is always the other way round. Why are people talking about the place you buy dishwashers and Waitrose’s parent company when talking about civil rights icons.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X