Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is on-brand for The Guardian.

Comment

Much as some Guardian columnists I stopped reading forever because of their ethical blunders, some I can forgive a lot/everything because of one memorable piece. Here is Jay Rayner taking down a distant relative back in the day

https://amp.theguardian.com/travel/1...ts.restaurants

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        Tykes is still used but is a cringeworthy self-infantilizing playing up to a stereotype, like we're stuck in the 1950s.
        I've never heard a single Barnsley fan refer to us as The Tykes in my life. It does bother me more than it should to be honest. Chelsea managed to seamlessly drop being the Pensioners to become the Blues, so why can't we be The Reds?

Toby Tyke splits opinion though, I love him as a mascot but plenty don't. I've never seen him take the knee (nor have I seen any other mascot do it either), however he has been spotted saluting during Remembrance Day proceedings!

Comment

Not sure if this goes here or the traumatic advert thread...

Anyway, they seem to have replaced the text-based whining for cash with a cartoon-based whining for cash. Traumatic.

Traumatic cartoon.png

Comment

My biggest issue with the whining for cash stuff is that the ones at the bottom of the articles often (for me, of course) begin with 'As you're joining us from Argentina ...', which leads me to assume it auto-fills in the country the reader is in for everyone, clearly to get the reader's attention. As it happens my having a bank account in the UK means I'm one of the tiny number of people living here for whom it wouldn't be an absolutely colossal pain in the arse to give them money if I wanted to, and I don't expect them to tailor that text to the very specific circumstances of this particular country (where for most people, spending any amount on their card in foreign currency results in paying nearly double that amount due to government taxes on spending money abroad), but they ought to at least consider that in most countries around the world the amount they're asking for, small though it seems to most of us who are lucky enough to earn in pounds/dollars/euros etc., is actually anything but trivial. It's asking me for £9.99 a month at the moment, which is roughly equivalent to one and a half days' rent.
            Last edited by Sam; 15-08-2022, 06:25.

Comment

Hadley Freeman is leaving The Guardian for The Sunday Times. Can't say I'll miss her contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                Hadley Freeman is leaving The Guardian for The Sunday Times. Can't say I'll miss her contributions.
                Hasn't she also been writing for unherd?

Comment

She's perfect for the Murdoch terf stable

Comment

She's been a great match for the observer/guardian anti-trans bigot stable too.

Comment

https://twitter.com/CWUnews/status/1581319153545228288?s=20&t=BfOFrjsZvd7XUiXS3T4jSw

Comment

Once you've figured out whom is their target market, it makes perfect sense that it would be a management propaganda platform.

Comment

The Guardian newspaper and Helen Pidd
                          Scum

"Points of interest on the M62 - the moors where Ian Brady and Myra Hindley buried their victims"

https://www.theguardian.com/business...hartshead-moor

Comment

Tsk.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Autistic/status/1595801050266669057

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                Taylor has always been a fan girl for the Toon, all objectivity goes out the window with her.

I am more than a little amused at the idea Wilson “has one idea”, since he’s written like a dozen books on different subjects, all of them good.
                                Though I’m not a fan of hers you couldn’t be further wrong concerning Taylor and our b&w cousins. Wilson I liked even when we were buying the fanzine from him at away games (free travel to kids who’d sell it outside of away grounds), theres a very very feint family-neighbour connection. Glendenning couldn’t find Sunderland on a map.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  And Barry Glendenning.

It's a conspiracy!

Also: No wonder Wilson hates football.
                                  Oi etc.

Shoulda read all the way down as I hadn’t realised how old the thread was.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

I guess as a journalist she has little choice and is dependent on goodwill of each regional club she covers. But Fussbudget is broadly right. Wanting a local rival to do well is now weird. My dad as a Boro supporter took me to Ayresome Park as well as SJP-in 1976 saw Boro beat Man City in league cup semi final and us beat Spurs. And was disappointed we ended up playing Man City in final. David Armstrong would drop match tickets off for games through involvement in schoolboy football. Though thankfully dad never took me to Sunderland.
                                    Plus think of the trips to fancy forrin cities and domestic big games that’d be in it for her if all three NE clubs started achieving their potential. If I was doing her job I’d even want your lot to do well. Not as well as my lot mind but well enough to get me alongside a pool in warmer climes on expenses.

We lived in Fawdon when I was between 3-5yrs old in the mid 60s and my dad used to pop long to the occasional mag game.

Comment

They’ll never get a penny out of me as long as they keep deleting my comments pointing out the obvious clic bait choices in their “20 greatest songs, films, albums” style articles.

Comment

They are one of the few mainstream papers that are actively campaigning on the Climate Crisis which is literally an existential issue

That trumps their minor flaws for me

Comment

They spent 4 years undermining the only prospect we had of doing something about climate change, simply out of petty personal vindictiveness towards anyone who questioned the cult of New Labour, so clearly their credentials on this issue are as worthless as their remain credentials.

Comment

I don't think consistent bigotry is a minor flaw, tbh.

Comment

Well, that's the big issue of the moment - "Are people being mean to me when I'm in my Tesla because Musk bought Twitter?" (That's the clickbait headline.)

‘Rude drivers will swerve in my lane’: are Tesla owners paying the price for Musk hate? | Tesla | The Guardian
                                              Last edited by Snake Plissken; 29-11-2022, 10:49.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SamerAbdelnour/status/1598104035973742592?s=20&t=JAe3R_PK5Xaj_j8kPsYNtg

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                                                  They’ll never get a penny out of me as long as they keep deleting my comments pointing out the obvious clic bait choices in their “20 greatest songs, films, albums” style articles.
                                                  Well, if you must click on them …

Comment

Fuck the Guardian. Amongst many, many, other outlets.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X