Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada Car Sales, with Commentary

#1 Ford F-Series 106,358
    Good bellwether for the economy. Strong pickup sales = strong construction and private sector.

#2 Dodge Ram 69,255
    Dodge has dropped their own name recently. Dodge trucks are now just Ram branded. Can't see how that's beneficial, but who am I?

#3 Honda Civic 64,962
    Despite getting a shitty review from all concerned, still Canada's number one selling car. Cheap and practical, like us.

#4Dodge Grand Caravan 51,552
    Proving that people are still having kids and hauling around too much shit.

#5 Hyundai Elantra 50,950
    Back from the abyss, Hyundai's shifting more metal than ever. Good car at good price. It'll still get premature rust around the wheel wells.

#6 Ford Escape 44,099
    Most SUVs in Canada are this size and shape. Practical and affordable. And probably financed at 0% for 72 months, with $1,000 off for Costco members.

#7 GMC Sierra 42,712
    Same truck as #10, which would make it the #2 selling pickup if it were sold under the same brand. Don't think for a second that this doesn't piss in GM's chips.

#8 Toyota Corolla 40,906
    Toyota's been in the penalty box for two years, and declining sales of this affordable, reliable yawn-fest are probably unwarranted.

#9 Mazda 3 39,295
    Used to be #2. Dropping like a rock after a dead-dull refresh. For people who like to think they're going faster than they are. Zoom zoom.

#10 Chevrolet Silverado 35,943
    See #7. Good ol' boy truck. No confederate flags in these babies. More likely a graphic of Evil Calvin pissing on a Ford logo, or a graphic outline of the province of Newfoundland on the cab window.

My car continues to be one of Canada's worst selling, having shifted 12 units in December. We wave when we see one another.

WOM wrote: #3 Honda Civic 64,962
    Despite getting a shitty review from all concerned, still Canada's number one selling car. Cheap and practical, like us.
    [...]
    #9 Mazda 3 39,295
    Used to be #2. Dropping like a rock after a dead-dull refresh. For people who like to think they're going faster than they are. Zoom zoom.
    After my beloved Filthmobile ('88 "imported for" Dodge Colt hatchback) went to the big Pick 'n' Pull in the sky, i've driven a variety of [strike]beaters[/strike] econoboxes from the local carshare, and the only one i've been conspicuously unimpressed with was the Mazda 3. Sluggish, handles like a drunken pig, bad UI (the only thing a bright red light on the instrument panel should be used for is to indicate that Something Has Gone Desperately Wrong), horrible sightlines even for a modern car. (Nice sound system, though.)

IMHO, the Honda Civic kicks all sorts of ass over the M3. (One data point.)

Comment

#7 GMC Sierra 42,712
      Same truck as #10, which would make it the #2 selling pickup if it were sold under the same brand. Don't think for a second that this doesn't piss in GM's chips.

#10 Chevrolet Silverado 35,943
      See #7. Good ol' boy truck. No confederate flags in these babies. More likely a graphic of Evil Calvin pissing on a Ford logo, or a graphic outline of the province of Newfoundland on the cab window.
      I am not so sure GM is that annoyed; GMC ticket prices are probably about 10k higher than for the Chevy, and appeals to folk who don't want to own the same car as that kind of truck. Different strategy than Ford on the trucks.

Comment

More on this sort of thing for the sort of people who find this sort of thing interesting. i.e., me:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/industry-news/canadians-vs-americans-top-10-differences-in-auto-ownership/article18800449/#dashboard/follows/

Comment

Unless it's somehow boxed into #1, the survey doesn't show how many cars car owners own.

I ask because since moving to the ex-urbs I've stunned by the number of vehicles per household.

Next door, a couple in their late 50s with a son in his ealy 20s: A Silverado,(his) an SUV,(hers) an VW Golf (kid) — in garage and rarely seen a BMW sports car (hers, I think), A c70s VW Beetle (a 'project') A Goldwing size bike.

Opposite, a couple our age (mid-60s): Two F series pick-ups, one for work use, one rec (with camper) c10 year-old red Toyota Celica, they sold a Dodge Caravan last week, and are replacing it with our Suburu when we're ready to sell.

Next to them: Couple in 40s with son early 20s, and daughter last year of high school. F350 pick-up (work truck), Ford Escape (hers), Ford Ranger (son's) VW Golf Cabriolet (daughter's.) In garage, Harley with fuck-off forks and monkey bars (Dad's toy.)

I could go on, any house with only two vehicles like us (and don't think I don't feel guilty about it) is clearly letting down the neighbourhood.

Comment

There's a bit of that in our neighbourhood, too. Guy right next door and his wife are typical frugal retirees. They drive a newish Corolla.

But in the garage is a Honda Pilot ($30,000+) that he hates driving and says gets lousy mileage. It never leaves home.

Across the road is a 60ish Trini guy who works in a trade of some kind. Drives a van. But he also has an early 2000s Corvette and an early '80s Goldwing. He washes them and then puts them back in the garage. In 15 years, I've never seen either one come or go on the road. Not once.

Comment

Oddly, this is the most interesting car to hit the CDN market in a while. The built-in-Mexico Nissan Micra. Brand new for under $10,000. Not being sold in the US. Targeted at first-owners, new immigrants, students, the homeless, etc. Piles of financing/no credit options to get people into dealerships instead of buying used. They say they'll sell between 10 and 20% of them at the base price, with most people bumping up to one of the $13,000+ versions with air and auto.

Watch for Hyundai/Kia to make their entry-level models more affordable in the next couple of months.

Comment

The project/hobby vehicle, that rarely if ever sees the light of day, is certainly more widespread than I previously realised. It lives permanently in the garage, with the handyman tools and chest freezer, you get rare glimpses walking by. It sometimes seems as if there's a baby like that in every other garage around here.

Comment

We live in a very 'grey' neighbourhood. Most of the original buyers are now in their mid sixties to mid seventies, and - word for word - that's been my experience.

Go for a walk at the right time on Saturday morning and you see more old Buicks, Pontiacs, Camaros, tucked away in garages than you can shake a stick at. Oh, and I saw Gremlin X man parked at McDonald's last week.

Comment

Oooo!

An old guy (yeah, I know) a block over sold up and moved away a couple of weeks back. He had a smaller house, one of the old beach cottages, with a single car garage, inside was an immaculate Model 'T' Woody. No idea where it went.

Comment

Well, the PMs demanding an update to this thread have gotten tedious, so here it is. Sales are year to date, as of October 31.

#1 Ford F-Series 106,612
                      Full steam ahead for Ford's cash cow. Just re-released as an all-aluminum body, which is a game changer. 600 pounds lighter and more fuel efficient. And it won't rust. Nice.

#2 Ram P/U 73,266
                      Ram is now the Chrysler truck brand. Continues to eat GM's lunch.

#3 Honda Civic 57,853
                      Cheap and reliable. Built in Canada. No-frills car for a no-frills people.

#4 Ford Escape 45,152
                      Nice looking. Reasonably equipped and affordably priced. Ford's on a roll anyway, and this is a good small SUV.

#5 Dodge Grand Caravan 45,018
                      Basically the number 1 selling minivan by default. Nobody else does them any more except the premium Japanese models. GM and Ford quit the business. Still, a good family hauler for under-$20K.

#6 Hyundai Elantra 43,967
                      Sexier, (arguably) better and cheaper than Civic and Corolla. Yet Civic still outsells it.

#7 Toyota Corolla 43,102
                      Sexier than it was before, but still not quite there. My folks bought two in a row, so that tells you something.

#8 GMC Sierra 40,687
                      You're either a GM truck guy or a Ford truck guy. Unless you're one of 73,000 Ram truck guys, but you don't want to know what those guys are in to.

#9 Mazda 3 36,185
                      Yes, they zoom zoom and they're sexy looking, but I just don't get the Mazda 3. They're for dull couples named Dave and Tracy, who have a Golden Lab and like the marble countertops in their starter home. Apologies if you own one. (Hey...nice countertops, though...)

#10 Chevrolet Silverado 35,551
                      The other half of the GM pickup story. Sure, add the #8 and #10 numbers up and they sell more than Ram, but that's not as sexy a story as seeing yourself in #2 spot.

#69 Nissan Micra 6,063 (967/month)
                      Since I mentioned the Micra upthread, they're actually shifting decent numbers. They'll break 10,000 units a year for sure. Nice car at the price (under $10,000 new), and plenty for most urbanites who might consider a Smart or an IQ.

All figures from http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/11/october-2014-canada-auto-sales-figures-rankings-by-model-ytd.html

Comment

Do people in your neighbourhood own trucks?

Comment

Huh? Since when were truck sales counted as car sales?

Or is your nation as fucked up as the people to the south who think it's acceptable for their legal system to murder their own citizens?

Comment

Generally not pickup trucks, but small to large SUVs.

Curiously, my (school mate) best friend arrived at my dad's funeral in a Ford F-150 XLT. It's just enormous. 4x4. Extended cab. Full bed. Cooler between the seats. Running boards.

It's him and her, and a small dog. The previous car was a Hyundai Accent.

You see this more and more.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote: Huh? Since when were truck sales counted as car sales?

Or is your nation as fucked up as the people to the south who think it's acceptable for their legal system to murder their own citizens?
                              No, we're less killy on a per-capita basis. But we do seem to enjoy a good pickup truck. In the US, a lot of people who really don't need a pickup truck will still drive one, but we don't do that as much. We do small, four door compacts in huge numbers.

In the case of the Micra mentioned, that's a Canada-only model to serve our low-low end.

Comment

It sounds like full featured pick ups are Canada's mid-life crisis vehicle of choice.

Guy, the definition of "car" and "truck" is very politically charged in the US. Among other things, tax rates can differ. That's why SUVs were created as a separate class of vehicle, even though they were built on pick up truck bodies.

Comment

Here's cars-only, for comparison.

#1 Honda Civic 57,853
                                  #2 Hyundai Elantra 43,967
                                  #3 Toyota Corolla 43,102
                                  #4 Mazda 3 36,185
                                  #5 Chevrolet Cruze 29,021
                                  #6 Volkswagen Jetta 27,451
                                  #7 Hyundai Accent 20,560
                                  #8 Ford Focus 19,580
                                  #9 Ford Fusion 15,635
                                  #10 Honda Accord 14,862

Comment

Note, 1, 2 and 3 are basically the same car: 4 doors, 4 cylinders, sub-$18K with air and automatic, small and practical.

4 through 10 are slightly pricier variants on the same theme, with a hatchback thrown in for lolz.

Comment

It's remarkably consistent.

And yet I see just as many auto adverts on Canadian feeds of hockey as I do on their US equivalents.

Though there is definitely more focus on the remote starter options.

Comment

Yes, KIA is trying to own that right now with a free 'Winter Warmer' package on all its vehicles. Heated seats...remote starter...probably a block heater in rural markets.

Comment

WOM wrote: Yes, KIA is trying to own that right now with a free 'Winter Warmer' package on all its vehicles. Heated seats...remote starter...probably a block heater in rural markets.
                                          I hate heated seats. Feels like my ass is on fire.

When I first read the first post, I thought those numbers were odometer numbers and you were telling us the top ten entries in today's Classifieds Cars For Sale section.

There are about four or five times a year when I really wished I owned a huge pick-up truck or a van to haul this or that. I suspect that's true of a lot of people. But since I'm only ever going to own one motorized vehicle at at time, I don't think that's good enough reason to make that it.

I think one of those really small cars would be cool if they'd make it so that it would fit a taller person more comfortably. Maybe remove the back seat (if there is one) and lower it a bit somehow. However, from what I've seen, the MPH isn't so impressive on the SmartCars as to make me want something that would be totally useless for carrying stuff or passengers. My dog would not want to ride all the way to my parents' house in such a cramped space and neither would I.

Comment

There are about four or five times a year when I really wished I owned a huge pick-up truck or a van to haul this or that.
                                            We are sort of this way when it comes to having a car.

Though probably not as often.

There are a couple of smart cars that usually park on or near our block (there are more "fancy" small cars like Minis or Fiat 500s). They were obviously much more common when we were living in Europe, but I really don't see the point of them outside of a major city where parking is at a premium.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                                              There are about four or five times a year when I really wished I owned a huge pick-up truck or a van to haul this or that.
                                              We are sort of this way when it comes to having a car.

Though probably not as often.

There are a couple of smart cars that usually park on or near our block (there are more "fancy" small cars like Minis or Fiat 500s). They were obviously much more common when we were living in Europe, but I really don't see the point of them outside of a major city where parking is at a premium.
                                              Same as with hybrids, people want to show off that they're trying to help the environment.

Comment

I think that well off parents are buying them for their kids, much as they are buying kids apartments (or at least making major contributions). Once the "kids" realise what a pain it is to keep a car in Manhattan, they sell them.

It's what passes for generational wealth transfers these days.

Comment

I had to google 'remote starter' - it's not something that's likely to be a selling point in a country where it now only dips below freezing a handful of times a year.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X