Canada Car Sales, with Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swiss Chalet is what I was thinking of when I wrote Little Chef (which is a British motorway chain).

Comment

Swiss Chalet is so ubiquitous and so consistent that they probably have a consciousness problem. It's hard to knock them.

Conversely, Bell and Rogers give you so much grief so often that nothing they ever do will be right.

Comment

My one and only Boston Pizza experience was positive. Would go back. Besides, I didn't see any other pizza places in Edmonton when I was there.

No hockey-related brands on the list. Surprising. And no CFL.

Tim Hortons isn't really that great, I'm sorry to say. It's perfectly adequate, but it's the Dunkin Donuts of the north (which is already pretty northern in it's emphasis) Tim Horton himself was a really nice guy, I've heard.

Roots used to be cool. Now the stuff I've seen from them is a bit meh.

And The Hip aren't on their. They'r a "brand."

Everything's a brand.

Comment

Is Tim's actually Canadian? I know we act as if it is, but I thought it was US owned.

Roots certainly isn't anymore. They were sold to a NY based equity company over a year ago

Cirque du Soleil? FFS! Who compiled that list? And why — of the big banks — isn't RBC on it?

Comment

Tim's ownership structure is, depending on your POV, Canadian, American and/or Brazilian. Its head office is still in Oakville, but it's essentially a subsidiary of Burger King which is held by 3G Capital.

So...uh...yeah.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Who compiled that list? And why — of the big banks — isn't RBC on it?
              http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/best-brands/canadas-best-brands-2017-the-top-25/

Comment

Can someone tell me what the deal is with Tim Horton?

I know it's like a Canadian national treasure or whatever, but why?

Comment

Much loved hockey player. Lent his name to the doughnut franchise after he retired.

Comment

If this is the new Canada thread, did anybody else learn today that they once had a female PM? She's been in the news for criticising Trump. She may previously have been in the news for being Prime Minister, but I'm afraid I missed it. They never tell us anything, do they?

Comment

Sort of. Back when Horton played, most guys couldn't earn a living from it, so they had some kind of business in the off-season. Horton started a burger joint, but that went bust.

A coffee and donut operation, however, worked in his home town of Hamilton. He was up to three locations (co-operated with a cop buddy named Ron Joyce) when he was killed in a car accident - all hepped up on pills and booze - driving the DeTomaso Pantera that he was given for signing with Buffalo. Joyce bought out Horton's widow and built the operation that exists today.

Some twenty years later, Horton's widow tried to sue Joyce, saying she was lowballed. (She really wasn't...but she was a nut.) One of Horton's daughters is married to one of Joyce's sons.

The business is the consummate Canadian coffee shop, and a location or ten stands in towns of every size all across the country.

Comment

tee rex wrote: If this is the new Canada thread, did anybody else learn today that they once had a female PM? She's been in the news for criticising Trump. She may previously have been in the news for being Prime Minister, but I'm afraid I missed it. They never tell us anything, do they?
                        It doesn't quite get the play that it would have if she were elected PM. She became PM after Mulroney resigned and she won the PC party leadership race. She went down to defeat to Jean Chretien later the same year. I don't think it's considered the same type of victory for women that it was in the UK and will be in the US.

Comment

But no, this thread should remain a repository for arcane statistics regarding auto sales and maybe corporate brand standings. I don't want to sully it with matters political.

Comment

Damn...I could go for one of those right now.

Comment

Ah, the classic A frame. Nothing is more redolent of early 70s ex-urbia. Except orange shag carpet.

Comment

But no, this thread should remain a repository for arcane statistics regarding auto sales and maybe corporate brand standings. I don't want to sully it with matters political.
                                We already have a 90 page thread for that

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                  Originally posted by tee rex
                                  If this is the new Canada thread, did anybody else learn today that they once had a female PM? She's been in the news for criticising Trump. She may previously have been in the news for being Prime Minister, but I'm afraid I missed it. They never tell us anything, do they?
                                  It doesn't quite get the play that it would have if she were elected PM. She became PM after Mulroney resigned and she won the PC party leadership race. She went down to defeat to Jean Chretien later the same year. I don't think it's considered the same type of victory for women that it was in the UK and will be in the US.
                                  Yes, she was the place-holder for what was an inevitable, and massive defeat.

Kim Campbell is an exceedingly smart person with a somewhat eccentric and varied background. She always seemed way too oddball to a successful politician, especially a Conservative. I met her a few times back when she chaired the Vancouver School Board, who during one meeting she told to "fuck off," (though it was changed to "back-off" in the minutes.) I liked her, in spite of her politics.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Yes, she was the place-holder for what was an inevitable, and massive defeat.
                                    I was working avery busy Friday night in a restaurant that week when the host, over the PA, said "Brown, party of 4. Smith, party of 6. Progressive Conservatives.....party of 2."

Brought the house down.

Comment

Has anyone seen Being Canadian?

I saw it earlier this year, and really enjoyed it.

Available here with no signup required, although an adblock might be helpful.

Comment

Speaking of Tim Horton, you can own a piece of him.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/10/26/tim-hortons-old-bungalow-on-market-for-699900.html

Dave Keon's house was on my street, growing up. It's changed hands a few times over the years, and real estate listings always mention it.

Comment

Very disappointed to see this come to the top to find that it is not statistics and simply chat about the Canadian Dunkin Donuts.

Comment

Deepest apologies. To compensate, let me lead a tedious discussion about this month's top year-to-date sellers. I see something amazing. Look how far you have to go down the list before you see something that isn't a pickup, SUV or small sedan. It's like the the midsize and family size sedan markets don't exist any more. You could argue for the Jetta at 19, but I'm going to call it for the Camry at 25.

And what's with the dip on the RAM sales? F150s are flying out the door, and RAM is slowing down. Huh. The Silverado/Sierra twins aren't doing much better than that.

Comment

Looks like Ford made the right call with the F-150. Why on earth is the Dodge Grand caravan posting such gain in sales?

Consumer report arrived with their latest update on car reliability now that "some cars have been on the market long enough to gather data". Maserati's and Alfa Romeo's were at the bottom. As though they needed data to reach that conclusion.

Comment

Yeah, Ford took a huge gamble and it appears to be paying off nicely. It'll get even better when gas prices go up again...sometime.

My only guess is that Chrysler has been quietly talking about killing off the Grand Caravan once the new Pacifica finds its legs. I don't think it'll actually happen, but it might motivate dithering buyers to get one while the getting's good.

Imagine...two oddball Italian cars with low reliability ratings. That's my only concern with some Jeeps; North America's least reliable car, built by Europe's least reliable manufacturer. Where do I sign?

Comment

How is that house
                                                  (1) In Toronto
                                                  (2) Home of a famous hockey player
                                                  (3) Near CostCo

Yet only $700k? Sounds like the Canadian trifecta.

Comment

Toronto houses are posted at $599,000 or $699,000 or $799,000 to catch people who search by price brackets. It will easily go for $769,000 (or more).

Also, it's right on Warden Avenue, near Ellesmere, which are very busy roads and it's near a noisy railroad track.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X