Office annoyances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    Back when I was made redundant, I did wonder if I wanted to carry on working in insurance. I mean, it was almost 25 years (it is, now) and at the time I just thought "wouldn't it be great to have a job you just leave in the evening? One where you don't check your e-mails on the train, or fret about the things you didn't get done?".

Now I'm working for a great company, with people I really enjoy being around. And you know what? I'd still leave in a heartbeat for a life that let me just have a life.

If I win the lotto we're all moving to an island to shout this rubbish at each other in person.
    When I was made redundant in August, I considered moving onto something else. But I've done 15 years in insurance this year and frankly, I just don't want to learn anything new and start near the bottom.

What I managed to get was a job in reinsurance with proper flex hours so unbelievable flexibility, but also something that really doesn't test me. At first this was great, but in the last few weeks it has started to seem quite pointless and has made me question whether I should try and find a route back into personal lines claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
      I don't mind being a teacher. the kids are great, 99.9% of the time and I love the looks on their faces when I outline some 'zany' task (this week, we're writing the first chapters of Young Adult novels premised on The End of the World. Wait until next term when they find out they are making movies. Real, actual movies!). But I can't abide the meetings and the people that seem to infest management positions in school. And, well, I may have roughly outlined my thoughts on EBUWwtIH. There are plenty of others who are, in their own ways as uniquely annoying.
      This. So many times over.

Comment

I've been on temporary promotion since September, and have somehow managed not to fuck anything up. I wouldn't say I've set the world on fire, but I've gradually developed some semblance of borderline competence. I've got used to managing a team of ten, none of whom seem to actively hate me, and I've got used to the politics that comes with the higher grade. I've also got very used to the money.

Next week I have an interview to make the job permanent. I'm really not very good at interviews. I've tried not putting pressure on myself, I've tried being prepared, I've tried being relaxed, I've tried being someone I'm not, I've tried treating it as a conversation and I've tried to treat it like it doesn't matter - but in the back of my mind, I know that getting this job could bring forward my retirement plans by about 2 years, so no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise, it does matter.

Is it advisable to neck a can of Stella just before I go in, do you think?

Comment

Aye, a little dab a speed is just tha' ticket.

Comment

If you are doing the job well I don't really see why they need to interview you, but still.

Comment

Civil Service rules, Sporting - the days of the tap on the shoulder are in the dim and distant. There'll be about 6 people being interviewed for this post, and while I have a small advantage of having proved that I can do it, I still have to convince an interview panel that I'm the right person.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                Civil Service rules, Sporting - the days of the tap on the shoulder are in the dim and distant. There'll be about 6 people being interviewed for this post, and while I have a small advantage of having proved that I can do it, I still have to convince an interview panel that I'm the right person.
                Good luck with the interview TRL .

Comment

Cheers AE - I'll report back on how it went, once the initial hours and days of going over and over the whole thing in my head and and convincing myself I made a complete and utter tool of myself have passed.

Comment

I got excited about a job in early December. Ticked all 10 of the 10 'boxes'. Aced the pre-screen. Aced the interview. Aced the VP 'final' interview. And then it went quiet. Six weeks later, got the auto-generated 'This role has been canceled. Our apologies, etc.' Sigh. It was perfect, too.

Comment

MI think the can of Stella before the interview would be a mistake. Civil Service interview protocol is 4 beforehand and take the last one in with you. Shake before opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                        Cheers AE - I'll report back on how it went, once the initial hours and days of going over and over the whole thing in my head and and convincing myself I made a complete and utter tool of myself have passed.
                        All the best TRL - if it's one thing I learned from the 8 interviews I had in 6 weeks last year, it's that all you can do is be you. Have a drink of water and take a sip before answering every question. This really will ease your nerves and give you time to think.

Comment

And if they raise an eyebrow, say “terrible hangover!” and then answer.

Comment

Funnily enough, I don't think it was ever picked up. Then again, it was during a hot summer so the need for a drink would have been clear.

Comment

Just joshing, the water tip is a good one.

Comment

I remember a civil service interview I had in the 80s and I was as nervous as anything. There was this big jug of water - two pints probably - and I emptied it in 20 minutes. Then came the question I always dreaded. "Have you anything else to say?" "Goodbye?" I blurted. I was still trembling an hour later. Anyroad, I passed.

Comment

The best advice I have is to remember that the interviewer wants you to succeed in the interview otherwise they wouldn't be interviewing you in the first place.

Comment

That's a great one Snake.

Comment

Always have a question to ask - but ideally not about salary / working hours. A question I have used is "What kind of specific qualities are you looking for in a candidate?" then I use that as an opportunity to explain why I'm what they are looking for. That seemed to do the trick in the last two interviews I had. Since then I have been in a few situations as an interviewer and people who had no questions at all weren't successful.

Comment

One I was told to use last year - and I used it in every interview - "Is there anything that concerns you about my application?"

Comment

That's smart. Filed away for next time.

Comment

Yeah, that's a good question. I would like someone to ask that if I was interviewing them because then I can ask them about criteria they haven;t covered. If I liked the candidate and wanted them to get the job then that question gives me a way of finding out more information to tick off the necessary points.

Comment

Good luck, TRL.

Comment

Got passed over for promotion this year. Colleague at the same grade who received a worse performance rating got promoted. Very hard to see it as anything other than because they had been here longer. Sigh.

Comment

10 years ago I had been working towards a promotion at a previous company. Three roles came up, two of the roles went to people on my team (with me being their senior). The first I had trained and coached, the second I was keeping up to date every week.

It took me a very long time to get over that. I left the company 3 months after.

Comment

Yeah, I'm considering a move. But my line of work is a bit shaky post-Brexit, and I'm likely due a pay rise if I stay. Not that I feel particularly valued.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X