• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...sport-peppers/

Comment

And what does it mean?

Ah, I see ua has pre-answered. They aren't really a thing.

Comment

In fact, these peppers are one of the most dominant flavors on a Chicago style hot dog, which includes all-beef hot dogs, yellow mustard, green sweet pickle relish, diced white onion, roma tomato, dill pickle spears and celery salt.
        This backs up my view that no one has a monkey's how the hot dog itself tastes.

Comment

The celery salt seems unnecessary.

Comment

That is too many things to put on a hot dog. But obviously ketchup shouldn't go near hot dogs. Or, in fact, near any food at all.

As Ursus has got at, there is a lot of good fast food in the US. What there isn't, generally, is good chain-restaurant food. Occasional chain restaurant things are acceptable, but almost never good. But you can get great food, fast, from carts and holes in the wall in loads of places/

Comment

I am still unclear on what a sport pepper is. Just a spicy chilli pepper? Some particular varieties? Is any pepper a sport pepper if it's used in South USA or put on a hot dog in Chicago?

Comment

As is the case with many US foodstuffs, there aren't real rules about what you can market under a given name.

The link tries to a answer all of those questions without eliminating doubt.

Comment

Sport peppers are spicy as needed with added pickle zing. I doubt anyone will forget consuming a sport pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                    Staff survey time in the NHS. I even added comments, so I did.
                    I've just done a staff survey with whole essays in the comments section on a wide variety of stuff. I find it quite cathartic and I don't care two hoots if they can trace it back to me. I've decided that I am done with treading on tiptoes. I'm 40 now. If I can't say exactly what I think now, when am I going to be able to?

Comment

We're building a peer-to-peer advice site at my office. One of the open-ended questions was "What advice would you give your younger self?" with space for like, you know, 80 characters. Just a little friendly bit of advice.

Well, one woman has written an absolute epistle (the form field expands, of course) and we have no idea what to do with it. It's all good advice...there's just way too much of it. By a factor of like 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        I am aware of a new job coming up in my organisation that might be an improvement on my current gig. But I'm not invested in the organisation and the staff conference didn't make me feel more positive about it. So I dunno. I might just quit and go work in the Lego Shop or something.
                        You are far from alone in this sentiment. See the new phenomenons of:

a) employees ghosting employers before starting a new job: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...ing-each-other

b) quiet quitting (staying in your job but doing the bare minimum that you're contractually obliged to do and nothing more): https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...as-gone-global

c) fast quitting (staying at a place for less than a year): https://www.entrepreneur.com/busines...en-over/436482

I also read an article (on the BBC I think) about employees not bothering to formally quit but just stopping turning up to work one day, but I can't find that one any more.

We're supposedly in the midst of "The Great Resignation". 1% of people in the US took themselves out of the workforce pool entirely over the pandemic and haven't come back. That's likely a combination of early retirement, long-Covid meaning more people are too sick to work, and some people deciding they are just tired of all this capitalist bullshit and they're not going to play the game any more.

Comment

Quiet quitting is just working to your contract, it's a terrible name for it. Goddam your boss won't go the extra mile for you, why burst yourself helping them?

Comment

There is not the slightest chance of my doing anything more than I absolutely have to. They have really pissed me off, and they don't give a toss.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              "What advice would you give your younger self?"
                              "You know the sum total of FADS, so wind your neck in. Also, save some money you absolute fadge."

Comment

What's FADS? And what's fadge?

If my younger self got "advice" from some old knobend, I hope he'd ignore it except to tell the advice-giver to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Comment

"Quiet quitting" isn't new. I've worked with clockwatching notmyjob artistes forever.

Comment

We're building a peer-to-peer advice site at my office. One of the open-ended questions was "What advice would you give your younger self?" with space for like, you know, 80 characters. Just a little friendly bit of advice.

Well, one woman has written an absolute epistle (the form field expands, of course) and we have no idea what to do with it. It's all good advice...there's just way too much of it. By a factor of like 20.
                                    Serves you right for allowing the form field to expand. You ought to know better than that.

The most interesting phenomenon I have been following is the "Overemployment" movement. Where you maybe adjust your name slightly and keep taking as many remote work gigs as you can hopefully handle looking for an average rating in appraisals.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

The most interesting phenomenon I have been following is the "Overemployment" movement. Where you maybe adjust your name slightly and keep taking as many remote work gigs as you can hopefully handle looking for an average rating in appraisals.
                                      This had never occurred to me as an option and sounds like a genius strategy. I could probably do about 4-5 full-time standard remote jobs without anyone noticing if I really wanted to (at least when I'm in the "well to mild hypomania" phase of my spectrum which can sometimes last years). Would be trickier currently with the kids being the age they are, but definitely something for me to consider doing when the kids are older and I want to pay off the mortgage.

Also, this is pretty much what rich people do. They don't just have one paid job. They all sit on multiple boards for a few hours a month as well, or do private consulting gigs and after-dinner speeches, and get paid handsomely for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Also, this is pretty much what rich people do. They don't just have one paid job. They all sit on multiple boards for a few hours a month as well, or do private consulting gigs and after-dinner speeches, and get paid handsomely for it.
                                        Non-executive directors (NEDS) or "independent members" on public sector boards. Money for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Quiet quitting is just working to your contract, it's a terrible name for it. Goddam your boss won't go the extra mile for you, why burst yourself helping them?
                                          This is the most I have ever agreed with a post.

Comment

I sit on boards (well 2)and get absolutely nothing for it. Mine are charities/NGOs though.

Comment

Do you have a mentoring programme? Is she one of the mentors? If not, quickly add her to the list. It sounds like she is ideal for this as she has thought deeply about what she didn’t know but wishes she had.

If you do have a mentoring programme, and she is already part of it, how about arranging a workshop. And more or less starting that with “Sarah, you recently shared some really good thoughts via the peer-to-peer advice site, which would be a great to get us going here. Exactly the sort of thing we were after. Would you care to go over some of them?” and then effectively let her drive the workshop, and maybe have her insight spark similar in others.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                I sit on boards (well 2)and get absolutely nothing for it. Mine are charities/NGOs though.
                                                What can I say? Not all trains go to Gravytown.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                  What's FADS? And what's fadge?

If my younger self got "advice" from some old knobend, I hope he'd ignore it except to tell the advice-giver to stick it where the sun don't shine.
                                                  And then go out and have all the same mistakes and disappointments that the old knobhead was trying to flag up to help you avoid? I believe the phrase here is “your funeral”.

Comment

That's life, though. Making your own mistakes. Also,, it strikes me as a bit weird to assume that now me actually knows best.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X