Office annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post
    I should point out that my job is an essential part of providing a frontline service to the NHS. If I drop out at short notice then we run the risk of the service suffering and people not making it to their appointments. Granted, that still places me in the "guilt tripping myself into working" category when unwell but even so.
    Sure, and I've never had a job that mattered at all really, so I'm not confronted with that issue. I have an intellectual response to it, of course, but would that stand up to being in that situation? I'd like to think so, but then I'd like to think all sorts of things about myself.

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post
    On the wider point of not doing more work than we're expected/paid to do, I've been training myself to only do the following day's work rather than a few days in advance since it became apparent that if I plan a few days ahead in anticipation of being away for a day or two I don't get thanked for it nor paid any more than the day's wage. So stuff that, if I'm away you can do my workload yourselves rather than have me work twice as hard in advance
    Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Sure, and I've never had a job that mattered at all really, so I'm not confronted with that issue. I have an intellectual response to it, of course, but would that stand up to being in that situation? I'd like to think so, but then I'd like to think all sorts of things about myself.
      Yeah I'm not talking myself up too much I think when I say that I'm the best person they have to do that job anyway - most others are barely trained in it or (like my boss) have too many other responsibilities to give it their full attention. That's why they got me back as bank staff to effectively work as much as I want to doing this one thing - so they could bed down a load of new staff without worrying it was all gonna go wrong.

I don't much care about my employers but I do care about the service delivery

Comment

A particularly toxic combination in my work circles is that of an "always available" mindset (nights, weekends, holidays) and the "need to be in the office unless I'm dying" frame of mind.

It is really quite mad, yet few ever look at it with any kind of perspective

Comment

Presenteeism is a huge issue in the City. Hopefully covid will have changed that but I'd imagine 5 years from now we'll be right back where we were in 2018.

Comment

You'd think so but as I'm seeing right now, there are people whose perspective hasn't changed one jot tbh

I'm sure part of it is fuelled by people complaining "I'd love to be able to work from home..." when they can't. I mean, we do different jobs so it's unfortunate but still not a reason to make me come in. It makes everyone else marginally safer as well

Comment

With everyone's immune systems seemingly weaker because of Covid-19 and the more sterile environment we've been in along with the lack of exposure to normal germs and viruses this idea of forcing people in when there's no need along with the lower supply of the flu vaccine could create a perfect storm. Add in a fuel crisis and we're really making absolutely stupid decision by forcing people in.

When I was working from home I also worked when I was unwell, I'm going to try not to do that again.

Look after yourselves please.

Comment

I think working from home has kept me working when if I had to go into the office I would have been off sick for several months by now. Last time I saw the GP I was a whisker away from being prescribed antidepressants. At least at home I can recover from the exertion of meetings by having a lie down.

Although possibly being at home has affected my mental state which wouldn't have happened if I had been in the office. So it's hard to know whether it's still good thing or a bad thing. It's just a thing.

Comment

City working is going to be a bit mixed I expect and will be - in part - influenced by the real estate picture and where your management is located.

Canadian banks are being super cautious and are feel like they will never go back 100% for a lot of functions. US banks are likely to go back a lot more in person. Japanese banks still seem to be processing the 10th phase of their existential crisis of whether they should bother doing business at all.

British banks will probably be nearer to US banks sadly. They have a similar attitude to HR values and whatever else rolls out (make sure it looks nice and then ignore it).

Real Estate is the wild card - I did the math on the bank I was at and we could take a huge lump out of our expenses by shrinking our office footprint. So then it comes to whether you own (JP Morgan), whether you recently signed a catastrophic lease to expand footprint (a certain DC mortgage giant) or if you can cut that number quick.

Comment

Our decision has been aided by our management giving away one of our two full floors to a sister agency, thereby cutting both of our real estate expenses in half while also halving available desk space. We've also had a handful of people move well out of commuting distance (including to BC), and they ain't coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      I think working from home has kept me working when if I had to go into the office I would have been off sick for several months by now. Last time I saw the GP I was a whisker away from being prescribed antidepressants. At least at home I can recover from the exertion of meetings by having a lie down.

Although possibly being at home has affected my mental state which wouldn't have happened if I had been in the office. So it's hard to know whether it's still good thing or a bad thing. It's just a thing.
                      Similar for me actually. It bit me on the bum this.

Employer clearly stated during meeting that if too unwell to attend office, you are too unwell to wfh. Message was received loud and clear by some colleagues...

Comment

We just officially postponed our "return to the office" date from mid-October to early January, which was inevitable given current trends (even though the situation in NYC is pretty good.

I may go in next month just to see what I left in my office.

Our grand plans to sublet several floors of our space have of course been dashed,

Comment

I still have not set foot in my office since at least March 10th of last year, and don't have any plans to do so.
                          On the annoyance front, however, is our senior management appearing to believe that crappy morale is due to us not all being happily together on site, as opposed to them hiring and promoting a bunch of assholes.

Comment

On the subject of assholes at my work, I was amused this week when I found out that my least favorite co-worker threw a hissy fit when they weren't invited to something and tried to get everyone else to boycott it, unsuccessfully except for their direct report (who I imagine didn't really have a choice).

Comment

I head back in to the office for the first time since April last year, when I popped in to pick up a Chromebook, and unlike almost everyone else here, I actually am looking forward to it.

I get on with my colleagues, so it will be nice to see them properly, but the main reason is because I struggle to concentrate at home. I don't have a private space to work, so I'm in my kitchen dining area, which means that once the kids are home from school I have to deal with them running in and out, etc...At least in the office I'm away from those sorts of distractions.

After tomorrow, we'll be in twice a month going forward. I'd willingly go in a couple of times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                                Employer clearly stated during meeting that if too unwell to attend office, you are too unwell to wfh. Message was received loud and clear by some colleagues...

That's excellent.

Comment

P is in the office today.
                                  We're not going back until end of October.

Comment

On Friday I met my team for lunch. None of us are keen to go back into the office. We all feel another lockdown might happen. So we have kicked the decision into the long grass and will revisit it in January.

Comment

Reports from my mate, who lives directly across the road from the office and can see straight in the windows, is that not only have our extensive renovations not been completed on schedule...they've not even begun. And per my boss, the facilities people have had massive problems finding desks and other office fixtures.

Comment

Ah, I successfully predicted that our three letter IT supplier would try to pull the "We only look after Windows, not the application you asked us to put on it" trick. The conversation shortly afterwards was fun too.

Me: "So you aren't looking after it then"
                                        Them: "No, this is not our server."
                                        "What about the other servers?"
                                        "There is only one server for this application"
                                        "Really? Your design documentation says there should be three."
                                        "There is only one server built for this application."
                                        "Not three?"
                                        "No."
                                        "Oh, here is a screenshot showing three current, active servers, named as in your design documentation"
                                        "Oh, well then we have fulfilled the design as documented"
                                        "Apart from *pastes this screenshot* which is indicating that half of the services are not configured correctly"

I'm not in the mood to be fucked about by these idiots who are taking a shit load of money to not deliver a service.

Comment

I'm trying to show willing about this going back to the office lark and have arranged go to visit one of my team (who I've never met because of Covid) in another office tomorrow (360 mile round trip), but unless the hire car company deliver me a vehicle with a nearly full tank then I'll be cancelling the trip - I'm fucked if I'm prepared to spend hours of an already long day queuing to fill the cunt.

Comment

1/3 of our current 'creatives' roster has never been in our office. And I now work with a ton of young people who've never met, in person, anyone that they work with.

Comment

We have a new Chief Executive!

I expect this will impact on my day to day by a fraction of none per cent.

There comes a point where I feel the only purpose for NHS Chief Executives is as a focus for a media witch hunt when something atrocious happens in a hospital.

Comment

I notice (from the online form we have to fill in in advance of going in, to say that our household is Covid-free and that we have no symptoms etc. etc.) that I've been back at work in the office full time for a year now. And I also happen to be the only one in the office today (it is a public holiday in Glasgow, mind, and most people were also working at a concert in Edinburgh yesterday)...

Comment

Phoned boss this morning, explained that I had been ill and was uneasy about going in to share my office. Started work from home, he got back to me to confirm when office-mate went home, went in after she'd gone.

Boss apparently needs to 'catch up' with me about something that was raised around how I've been working so that sounds like fun. Sure it'll be fine

Comment

Had a great day back in the office today. Was brilliant seeing my team, and members from other teams that I hadn't seen since lockdown began back in March last year. At lunchtime a few of us went for a coffee together and it was great just being around people that weren't my kids.

Back in again two weeks tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X