• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say "people". Consultant doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      I say "people". Consultant doctors.
      Ha, that's common in IT. Normally by middle management and Project managers. Their job description apparently prohibits opening up attachments in emails.

Comment

It's not even attachments in emails. It's meetings they were sat in.

Comment

Went into the office yesterday for the first time in months. The commute wasn't actually too bad (about 45 minutes each way instead of the usual 1+ hours), but I'd forgotten how annoying things like people's computers pinging/notification noises and phones ringing are. I was also reminded that the lighting is really crappy.

Comment

We had an interview candidate in today. Yesterday the person who'd be his boss sent around an email stating the obvious (we should be on our best behavior and try to attract this person to the company), and micromanaging our interview interactions (you, S. aureus, are tasked with exploring the candidate's ability to make appropriate decisions, here are some questions I want you to ask them). Which made the process considerably more weird and unpleasant than usual.
            I felt a twinge of both relief and guilt when I'd got to the end of my 1 on 1 with the candidate and they hadn't asked about the person they'd be reporting to (or whether the company sucks as a place to work). The relief because I wouldn't have to contort myself to try and remain honest without explicitly telling them they'd be better off looking elsewhere, the guilt because they might not realize the situation they'd get themselves into should they accept a potential offer.
            I'm pretty sure we'll make them one because they fit what the hiring person thinks they want in terms of background, and this person has never exhibited any sign of listening to anybody else's opinion on anything.
            I really need to get off these interview schedules, at least the other person in my department who's trying to hire somebody appears to be a decent human being so I can fall back on that.

*I think the background is so important to the hiring manager that the interviewee could be stuffing live kittens into their mouth during the interview, chewing them up and swallowing, and would still get an offer if they had what the manager considers a good research pedigree.

Comment

This isn't really an "annoyance" per se; however, it's close enough in my book: for the first time in my career, today I had to deal with what appeared to be a perfectly normal junior-level candidate hiring Ukrainian scammers to be his personal references.

Comment

I probably have to go in tomorrow , to print and display posters for a Freshers' induction event I am reluctantly running next week

Comment

Comment

Got made redundant yesterday. Not really an "office annoyance" but it's pretty annoying nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                      Got made redundant yesterday. Not really an "office annoyance" but it's pretty annoying nonetheless.
                      Oh no. Really sorry to read that.

Comment

That absolutely sucks.

Comment

Ah fuck, sorry to hear that pebble.

Comment

Technically I can fight it, and potentially receive statutory redundancy pay, or I can accept it, and get three times the amount, so it's pretty obvious what they want me to do, and equally obvious what I'm going to do. It's one of those that, if I get another job straight away, then I'm laughing, but if I don't then it's a disaster. Also fucks up my chances of buying a flat, which is something I was trying to do.

Anyway, I've got two weeks to nick as much stationery as I can

Comment

Working from home today. Forgotten just how utterly shit it is.

edit: But not as much as redundancy, sorry to hear that.
                              Last edited by Eggchaser; 15-09-2021, 08:02. Reason: Stop whining at least you have a job

Comment

Really sorry to hear that pebblethefish

I got asked yesterday if I was OK because I "sounded really fed up" in a meeting. So I don't think I am hiding how fed up I feel as well as I thought I was.

Comment

Technically I can fight it, and potentially receive statutory redundancy pay, or I can accept it, and get three times the amount, so it's pretty obvious what they want me to do, and equally obvious what I'm going to do.
                                  Either this is blackmail or a form of poker.

Hope it all works out.

Comment

It is a rather standard "incentive" in the US

Comment

When I went through redundancy we had the option of "voluntary" = double the statutory pay off.

Comment

Technically I can fight it, and potentially receive statutory redundancy pay, or I can accept it, and get three times the amount, so it's pretty obvious what they want me to do, and equally obvious what I'm going to do. It's one of those that, if I get another job straight away, then I'm laughing, but if I don't then it's a disaster. Also fucks up my chances of buying a flat, which is something I was trying to do.

Sorry to hear pebblethefish

If I can offer one positive, when I was made redundant 3 years ago, despite failing 7 interviews I took the first job I was offered. I've now been in that job for 3 years next month and am the happiest I've been in years, so fingers crossed you come through the same.

Talking of my current job - on 27th September I will have my first day in the office since March 2020. I can't wait to get back in. Sadly, I will only be in the office twice a month.

Comment

Tough break Pebble, good luck with the job search. Best thing that happened to me was an involuntary redundancy from my first real job. Forced me to try something different, which led to working out that I was good at this analyst lark.

I thought you were still working from home? Try not to get spotted grabbing too much at once!

Comment

That's a real bummer Pebble.

Comment

That sucks, Pebble. All the best with your search.

I've also been made redundant a couple of times and it really does suck. My last redundancy ended up being a blessing in disguise, as I managed to get a better, higher paying and more stable job. Didn't stop job searching being rubbish though. Fingers crossed for you.

Comment

Well, shit pebblethefish. That absolutely sucks balls and I hope you find something new quickly.

Comment

Shit, Pebble. Good luck getting a new - and better - gig quickly.

Comment

As everyone else has said pebblethefish, really sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you swim into a better job in short order.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X