Office annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Another organisation has taken over administration of a work programme I'm tangentially involved in. Their processes are so fucking slow. They don't seem to be able to pay invoices or get data protection forms signed or anything. I used the term "glacial" to describe them this week but need a new metaphor because with climate change I will be dead under seawater and they will still be not replying to emails.
    I've always liked "sclerotic"

Comment

I might go for "ossifying".

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
        I had to pack up my desk at the end of this afternoon for the third desk move inside 12 months. I do understand the reasons... but it's quite disruptive.

There was a silver lining though - when emptying the drawers out I came across a Wispa bar that I had put away for safe keeping at some point, and then forgotten about. A careless Wispa if you like... It was still within date, so I ate it.

Was this post entirely driven by the opportunity for a cheap, weak pun? No comment.
        Is the new desk in a different corner?

Comment

I know someone who quit after 20 minutes. On his first day as a salesman he asked about his wages and was told commission only, so he walked out.

Comment

We just had to fill out an questionnaire on electronic security, some 20-odd questions. All well and good, except that a significant number of them were asking us what certain terms mean. Does it matter to me (or, indeed, anyone) what the name for phishing that targets senior executives is? And how can it possibly help my personal cyber-security to know this?
            To me it just (again) creates the feeling that IT professionals care more about trying to belittle you and make you feel stupid for not knowing stuff in their field of expertise than actually trying to educate us in best procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
              We just had to fill out an questionnaire on electronic security, some 20-odd questions. All well and good, except that a significant number of them were asking us what certain terms mean. Does it matter to me (or, indeed, anyone) what the name for phishing that targets senior executives is? And how can it possibly help my personal cyber-security to know this?
              Um... I had to Google for it. And my first reaction to finding the answer was "Oh, fuck off".

Comment

Long weekend is nearly over. I've got to go back to work. I'm annoyed. Let's leave at that for now.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

I have not been selected for interview for the secondment I applied for. Yah boo sucks. Never mind, it was a longshot anyway. If nothing else, the senior people who agreed to support the application know my name now.

Comment

Commiserations, Balderdasha, but remember that you miss 100% of the shots that you never take.

Comment

Exactly. I will keep merrily applying for things that sound interesting. And in the meantime I have a reasonably low-stress, well-paying job which is keeping my children adequately clothed, fed and housed.

Comment

My company is ⏃ technology-based company. I just had ⏃ meeting where it was made abundantly clear that one of my co-workers despises this technology, and has not time for it whatsoever. This has, truth be told, been clear pretty much from when they started work for us, just not so explicitly so as in this meeting. Which has me asking the question "why the hell did they come and work for us in the first place then?"
                          Plus they're ⏃ total tool and ⏃ horrible person.

Comment

"I'm free all day tomorrow," I gaily said to a colleague asking me for a meeting. She sent me a meeting invite for 9am.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              "I'm free all day tomorrow," I gaily said to a colleague asking me for a meeting. She sent me a meeting invite for 9am.
                              Yeah that's on you. I'd have done that too,on the basis of the idea that it's better to schedule these things early rather than late to leave space later in the day. If you didn't want a meeting at 9 you should have said "I'm free any time after 11"

Comment

Personally I prefer getting such a meeting over early, especially if there's no work later on. I'd even be happy to meet at 7.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                  My company is ⏃ technology-based company. I just had ⏃ meeting where it was made abundantly clear that one of my co-workers despises this technology, and has not time for it whatsoever. This has, truth be told, been clear pretty much from when they started work for us, just not so explicitly so as in this meeting. Which has me asking the question "why the hell did they come and work for us in the first place then?"
                                  Cos it pays well, because they couldn't get a job elsewhere?

Comment

She works 7-3, so she will already be at the mid-morning coffee stage. I might be less than fully functioning.

Tbf, I don't know how full her calendar is so it might be the only slot free in her day.

Comment

Yeah I tend to say "I'm free after ten" or something, if I have a day without meetings.

Comment

This morning I have a meeting at 8:30, which is out of order.

Comment

Am I the only one here who doesn't mind working early (in as much as I prefer to work at all)?

Comment

I don't fancy my chances of switching off at 4 tbh, so I don't like starting early. I also like to have some time to get my bearings before my first meeting.

don't like the assumption that I'm free whenever someone else fancies it, either.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              don't like the assumption that I'm free whenever someone else fancies it, either.
                                              Agree.

Comment

Quite

The question doesn't really work in isolation. If the rest of one's workday regularly extends into the evening or later, it can be a problem. The same is true if one has to travel, or has a long commute.

It was quite typical for me to spend several days of family holidays in California working with clients who were in Europe. Those sometimes started at 6 am my time, but were tolerable because I was almost always done for the day by lunchtime.

Comment

My work, mosrly online now, is pretty much rigidly scheduled. Obviously there are extra things to do but generally these can be done at any time within the day ir indeed the week.

Comment

I'm lucky in that to some extent I can organise my day. I tend to do the more routine stuff in the morning, and the more creative, out of the box stuff in the afternoon. This is mainly because I've had a few beers by the afternoon, so my mind works more creatively then.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X