No announcement yet.

Office annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A union will give you some protection in the workplace and will be able to give you some advice, often legal advice regarding employment law that you weren't aware of. They'll also be able to provide you with support if you need to enter a meeting with management to solve issues, which most probably wouldn't be addressed if you weren't in a union.

The fact that many employers, especially in toxic work environments, deliberately avoid them and try to make them voiceless and impotent or worse, try to eliminate them, tells you the same as the position of Johnson et al towards them.

The UK being so thoroughly and deliberately deunionised in many sectors is the reason why so many workers have zero rights, are on zero hour contracts and work in unsafe conditions. Compare this to other countries where unions have some power.

Join a union.

Support your fellow workers and colleagues.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Your anxieties? Your post basically said that WFH was some conjured union-busting plot instead of the necessary by-product of a global pandemic.
      It wasn't Nef. I think it was Guy.

But all the same, if Nef wants to join in on the idea that a global pandemic making companies reconsider their office footprint is all about breaking the Unions, they can happily in the bucket.

And Nefertiti2 can go fuck itself trying to make this about anxiety and mental health as an attack. Not everyone spends 24 hours a day either on twitter or digesting the full embedded conversations of sequence on here.

I fully recognize this COVID remote work world sucks - I don't like it at all; I have also seen several people beg to work remote in a pre-COVID world and be upset at a lack of flexibility. But Guy moved on ANOTHER POST to put a tin-foil hat in it that it is a conspiracy against workers, and I get shit cos I called bullshit. Cos Nef.

I am pretty confident Simon G wasn't thinking any of this was directed at his anxieties (I can't link him, but, FFS, Guy was involved).

Anyhow - yes, companies will change their footprint. It will suck for some, be a delight for some. It is an unsettling change. It is not a tool of the overlords to crush the unions; just to save money.

Then there is the long term Commercial Real Estate crisis from 2021-2025 when all the high-rise lux offices suddenly hit sub-50% occupancy and some rich people get fucked. Jared Kushner is an early one to get crushed in this as his offices are super highly leveraged.

I will leave the floor for Nef to back their shit down.

Comment

Against my better judgement I stepped up to become a joint rep at my school, this is because there's been a history of persecution of union members and a general circulation of staff in and out.

We've increased our membership by 40% as the other union is passive, both at school and local level, and we're reaching a point where we are going to have to be more militant and passive. This is when we'll see if people will stop moaning and actually act.

Comment

Genuinely wishing you good luck with that Antepli Ejderha. Reading your posts about schools and your head teacher's bizarre take on things I really hope you get progress.

Comment

Join a union. get involved if you can, Management will always describe its drive to increase profits at the cost of people's working conditions, pensions, wages and rights at work as the only rational choice.

Resist if you can.

As for the desire of monopoly capital to break or prevent union orgainsiation caga dglh may wish to imply I'm being paranoid

he's wrong

https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1315742655561846784?s=20

Comment

First "you're on mute" of the day was 9.46am today

Comment

I've found the little foam thing that goes over the mic on my headset which had somehow got lost.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                  I am pretty confident Simon G wasn't thinking any of this was directed at his anxieties (I can't link him, but, FFS, Guy was involved).
                  I absolutely didn't. I think I'm quite in control of my anxieties anyway. Not being in the office has been a struggle at times, but that's mainly because of my selfishness in that I see it as a chance to get away from the stress of raising my kids.

Regarding being a member of a Union - I'm not even sure of any in my line of work. But then I've not looked either.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                    It wasn't Nef. I think it was Guy.
                    Ah, you're right. Apologies.

Comment

I'm supposed to be off work w/c 26 October but I really doubt that I will be. Workloads are just overwhelming at present, a state of affairs not really assisted by a colleague being "let go" a few days ago.

Comment

I have a ton of research work on at the moment, which is basically good, and I'm managing writers who are generally excellent, but I have one chap who shoehorns Hitler and random persons (Katie Price, today) into his work in the most bizarre way. I kind of wish I could share it.

Comment

I'm sure union density where I am is pretty low these days. Partly because there aren't any strikes in the NHS, sadly. I remember taking part in the 2011 one-day (a one-day strike isn't really a strike, mind. A strike is when you stop working until you win), which came on my last day in one job. My boss was a bit narked about that. Which was fun.

Wouldn't really occur to me not to be a member. Why would I want to not be?

Comment

We've got our union meeting on Tuesday.

I think the top thing on the agenda is going to be staff safety followed by staff workload.

A teacher was assaulted by a student in Tuesday, as of close of play yesterday nothing has been done about it. The student that did it was being investigated for an assault on a female student at the time, he should have been in isolation but wasn't. In the same year group, 8s, a female student threatened another student with a rambo knife.

The head is ignoring the behaviour problem and is refusing to even meet the union.

I think we'll recommend not teaching certain students as they are clearly risks to the safety of staff.

Comment

All-out strike. that's my suggestion.

Always.

Comment

What a bloody disastrous school.

Comment

Working...
                                X