No announcement yet.

Office annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my colleagues has moved to Switzerland and is apparently going to be working from there now. Her manager isn't happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
      My (relatively new) boss is a really nice person and she adds a level of organisation and planning to the team that was sorely lacking as I can never really be arsed with all that sort of discipline. However...

She has one really annoying habit - when we've been on a Teams call for a few hours, we'll sum up the actions at the end - I'll tell her what I need to do and by when, and then she'll repeat back the points I made as if she's making them for the first time and stress how I need to do them by the deadline I'd just given her. I'm just gritting my teeth and saying nowt but it is beginning to irk me a bit.
      Hey, women have had to deal with bosses taking credit for our ideas forever. Welcome to the club.

Comment

By mentioning to one person about the likelihood of me leaving my current employer, it would appear we are building a "people who are leaving" message group. Just the most recent inductee who thinks they told someone in confidence gets told they heard a rumor from someone else.

Which is actually amusing, because if it is the people in this chat they are beyond screwed.

Comment

As you are very well.aware, this is not a sign of a healthy organisation

Comment

We need to set a Zoom to let me give you a post mortem. It is up there, it really is, though it is yet to hit the true down to make all aware.

Comment

Company A's IT system is taken care of by my company.

Company A have reported an issue with the wording on some stationery. It requires a software fix.

Bear in mind Company A generate an awful lot of paper. It would have been really helpful to know which stationery has the error. That courtesy seems not to be possible, which means I have to check them all.

Suck it up, tax payers.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

Hey, women have had to deal with bosses taking credit for our ideas forever. Welcome to the club.
                Just to point out that this post was my idea and I expect the plaudits as such. (Just realised that works better if FF had said "men", but then only barely.)

Anyway. Our previously robust RDS system has decided to have a toddler-in-supermarket style tantrum and refuse to let programmes continue to run for more than 5 seconds at a time. Which is making things, well, impossible.
                Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 30-06-2020, 13:12.

Comment

Royal Dublin Showground?

What do you when Leinster are playing, not to mention the agricultural shows?

Comment

Close the blinds.

Comment

Reinsurance Dumbass System

Comment

I don't worry about that one so much now I don't underwrite.

Comment

I recently "found" 6500 teddy bears that we didn't know we had. Apparently we bought them eight years ago and they've been sat in a warehouse ever since. Whatever they cost has long since been written off.

Jesus, the amount of man hours Finance and Commerce and Ops and everyone have spent discussing how to input them on various sheets and systems, it would probably have been cheaper to buy some new ones.

Comment

Make them available free to hospitals, child care centres etc. Massive free publicity for firm.

Comment

Mrs. NS has just had an extremely tense and argumentative conversation with a colleague. I suspect that I'm going to be doing a lot of sympathetic listening during her lunch-hour.

Comment

Well the service users who complained loudly that no one listened to them are now complaining loudly that I asked them to suggest things that we should do to improve services.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Well the service users who complained loudly that no one listened to them are now complaining loudly that I asked them to suggest things that we should do to improve services.
                                  Also, from the same group:

"We need to have a poster about [xxx] for people with [our chronic condition]"

Healthcare professionals go off and produce the poster, as requested.

"Why have you produced this poster? Who is it for?"

Comment

OMG, I called it. The client who needed me to analyze his data "urgently"--who had all day Wednesday and Thursday to tell me what he needed, sent an email this morning asking if I was working today. You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me. I have my out of office on saying that I would be out of the office until Monday (even though that shouldn't be necessary on a bank holiday weekend). My boss called me (because he was cc'd on the email) and asked if I had replied. I said no, so he replied to the client saying that I was doing something with my family here this weekend and wouldn't be available.

The unmitigated gall.
                                    Last edited by Femme Folle; 03-07-2020, 17:25.

Comment

Die in a Fireworks Conflagration seems seasonally appropriate

Comment

Not really office work, but it is kind of my job at the moment. Since advertising the fact that I'm now a qualified breastfeeding helper, I had helped a little bit on the local Facebook group, answering queries and pointing people towards evidence-based information sources. But suddenly, I now have three mums asking regular questions via WhatsApp. One has a 4-week old baby, one has an 18 month old, one has a 2 year old. Very different issues to be dealing. It's all good practice and I'm glad to be helping but it does feel a little daunting to be someone's first port of call. I fortunately have the group of women that I trained with who I can ask for extra ideas and suggestions. When I signed up to the course, I thought I'd be helping out once a week at a drop-in session, which was at least a voluntary role with boundaries. With lockdown closing all the drop-ins and advice going online, it's creeping into more areas of my life. I may need to have a think about how much time I can commit to this and when. Is it possible to put "office hours" on WhatsApp groups??

Comment

Just as things are getting back to normal after Covid, we all received this this morning. Nothing like it to raise staff morale.

"The Board of Directors and the owners of XXXXXX are investigating the possibility of a potential sale of the company. As of today, no sale decision has been made, but discussions with potential buyers are ongoing."

Comment

That could be good or bad. I hope, if it happens, that it's the former. We had two such experiences over the past few years. The first was horrible and not beneficial to anyone except for the shareholders. The second was a much better fit and things are better than ever for workers like me. And they are an established insurance company, so they've instituted a lot of protections for the employees that we really never had before.

​​​​​

Comment

The same colleague who had to deal with a "Nutella crisis" during a zoom call had to deal with an "umbrella emergency" yesterday.

I've spotted a rhyming pattern. Who knows what next week's emergency will be?

Comment

(I hope it's not legionella)

Comment

A Paella incident? A Nigella situation? A Panzanella salad?

Comment

Mozzarella obviously.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X