Office annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to know more, follow our Twitter feed @yccherts
    One of our younger volunteers has recently taken over running this and she's doing a sterling job, giving lots of stats and figures about young carers.

Comment

Thanks. I’ll ask my friends who work in youth services if something like this exists around here. It’s a good idea.

Comment

Balders, I'm not in a position to offer any financial help, but if you ever need a proofreader for publicity stuff, communications, and etc. and so on, then let me know. No fee, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Balders, I'm not in a position to offer any financial help, but if you ever need a proofreader for publicity stuff, communications, and etc. and so on, then let me know. No fee, obviously.
          Thanks Sam, I really appreciate that.

Comment

How can someone evaluate their own proofreading skills or lack of them? Are there any serious online ones? Just curious.

Comment

Yesterday evening a very nice overseas head office colleague sent an e-mail to everyone in the London office requesting that we URGENTLY e-mail her the nationality and full names of both ourselves, our parents, wife, children, partner etc... (her words). It was '... for your security. xxxBank has a contract with a security enterprise to cover the problems that can be in the different countries...'

She's not getting to know the name of my cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                Thanks. I’ll ask my friends who work in youth services if something like this exists around here. It’s a good idea.
                I think in general the UK does better regarding age sensitive support than many other places, Canada certainly. La Signora had her Hemorrhagic stroke at 50, which is young in stroke terms. She was in the UK when it happened and found there was an established support network for people her age who had quite different issues from older survivors. Most were in mid-career, they frequently had children living at home and so on. On returning to Canada she found there was nothing at all, so started a younger stroke survivors group which flourished for a number of years. Like Balders she also found that carers of those in her group had little to no support either, so she and I started an informal group for them. Sadly there were no other men in that group, as collectively we have a very bad record of caring for those we're supposed to, but that's a different issue.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                  Yesterday evening a very nice overseas head office colleague sent an e-mail to everyone in the London office requesting that we URGENTLY e-mail her the nationality and full names of both ourselves, our parents, wife, children, partner etc... (her words). It was '... for your security. xxxBank has a contract with a security enterprise to cover the problems that can be in the different countries...'

She's not getting to know the name of my cat.
                  Yeah....I have a used motorbike listed online right now, and got an email from "...an honest and serious buyer" willing to pay "your original price" by "certified cheque or money transfer, right away". This is without seeing, riding or otherwise discussing the bike in question. Imma just let that email sit there awhile.

Comment

I thought WOM might be offering pro-bono custom email advertising campaigns to Balders. But no.

As for data-leakage emails, that sounds so bad it is almost certainly an IT phishing / data leakage test. For some reason the testing on these things seems to be decades behind where fraudsters are.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                      I thought WOM might be offering pro-bono custom email advertising campaigns to Balders. But no.
                      I was going to (and happily will) but I felt badly just piling on Sam's very generous offer. Also, if I was doing the writing, there'd be no need for proofreading....

Comment

dglh would also offer his services, but there's so little call for whore-house piano players these days.

Comment

If I could only play piano. The market for what I do is small enough, let alone there being pro-bono opportunities as very few understand it (95% of where I work do not understand what I do).

Comment

So.

Good meeting today and friendly colleague said she'd send me a strategy document she'd seen that has implications for my work stream. She duly emails me with an email attached that she was sent. I opened the attached email and the document is attached to it.

I read the document and realised there's a couple of big potential new things on there that are rather understated. I sent a short, slightly jaded email back to my friend... except I didn't, did I! I replied to the email that she had attached, not her email.

So now a random guy in another organisation who has some high level of oversight into this strategy has got a random email from someone he doesn't know basically saying that they've probably got somebody lined up to take on the job that is probably being created. And like I said in a jaded, dismissive tone. (And if it happens it's a job I would really, really like!)

It's my own fault. But, but, but! Why couldn't she have forwarded the email like a sane person would.

Comment

Had a telephone interview on Wednesday. Went well, they want to see me for a face to face.
                              Got a mail today from the agent. They want to see me next week, oh by the way, you need to prepare a presentation about blah blah blah...
                              Now I’ve knocked back a number of interviews in my time (and walked out of one) because of this sort of pointless bullshit. But I’ve got nothing else on the horizon and Xmas is coming up so the chances of getting anything else before like, February are pretty slim. So I’m going to have to choke down their feeble horseshit twattery, aren’t I?

Comment

You're not currently unemployed, are you?

Comment

My place has now introduced "leadership assessments" as part of its promotion process. Candidates are given 30 minutes to prepare a presentation about a theoretical change to working practices or hours to a real group of people who would (in theory) be affected by such a change, then have to spend 15 minutes handling questions from that group. Clearly the candidate has absolutely no answers to give to the group. It's made up. It's about how well they can bullshit and reassure and "engage".

For Fuck's Sake. (And I've spelt that out). These are the actors/people now being recruited to run things.

Comment

Comment

Just finished four art events in four days. Almost lost my shit at a punter yesterday.

My wife does a Manchester Bee print, which when you look closely has people, places and phrases cut of the MEN in the background of it. This woman looks at it and then comes up to inspect.

"Oh, I can't have that, it has 'United' on it."
                                      "Well, we are neutral, it does have an equal number of 'City' on it"
                                      "But I'm a Liverpool fan"
                                      "So why are you looking at a Manchester Bee if you're from Liverpool?"
                                      "I'm not from Liverpool. I'm from Scotland."
                                      "So you should know about divided football loyalties then "
                                      "Oh, I'm not from Glasgow, I'm from Edinburgh"

(in my head) "Oh just fuck off. I can't do right for doing wrong. I'm trying to be nice, I'm trying to engage and I'm trying to explain and you just fuck me around like that." So fuck the fuck off and when you've got there, fuck off from there as well."

Comment

So a different job that I think I could do has come up within the company. But the posting said they want somebody in the London office. I can't do that for several reasons. But I figured I'd ask if they're firm on that since it seems like a job somebody could do from anywhere.

So I emailed the person in charge, who is also sort of my boss's boss right now, but not quite (as I've said, it's a mess) and asked if they were really firm about that London part. She responded saying it would be strongly preferred.

Then a few days later I got an email from her saying "Just curious, but were you asking about that for yourself?" (It hadn't been clear in my earlier email). She also asked if I was going to a conference that I'm not going to because, I suppose, she was going to as me to do her team's job for them by covering stuff that they want covered.

I responded that I was asking for myself, but that the London thing is impossible and then asked if I should apply anyway just in case they don't find anyone better in London.

No response.

So I went onto the site and applied anyway.

My thinking is that, if nothing else, this will show my superiors that I'm not happy in my current position but that I'm not going to bitch about it. I'm just going to try to find something else. They can't disrespect that, especially since I'm applying within the company.

I assumed HR would just say "no, you're not in London, sorry" but apparently I got past that stage because HR asked me to talk to them more about it. I'll do that tomorrow.

I still think it's a long-shot. But I want to find out more. I'm not even sure it would be better than my current situation, but I'd like to find out.

If I do get an offer, I can go back to those other guys who I really want to work for and say "look, I'm looking at this other job, so if you want me, you need to decide." I'd rather not take a new job do it for a while and then leave that in a few weeks if something better comes along. But then again, that would be a nice problem to have.

Comment

Those all sound like the right moves to me. Best of luck, as always.

I wonder if the London preference has to do with time zones rather than actual need.

Comment

It probably does. A lot of the people "in the London office" don't go into it every day or even every week. It doesn't feel like an office where everyone is working together.

I'm ambivalent about working with UK people. It sucks in the morning when I have 30 emails piled up before 8 am, but it's nice in the afternoon when I can actually get stuff done rather than answering questions from people over there. I imagine you've got experience with both sides of that.

Comment

Good luck. This could be a really positive change for you. Finger crossed, as that's what the science suggests works best.

Comment

Yes, good luck with this HP. It is also really positive that you have started to take some steps.

Comment

Thanks. Like I said, it’s a long shot, but it’s a positive step. I find that just making these small efforts helps me feel better.

Comment

They do mean London, England not London, Ontario?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X