Office annoyances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post

We're paid good money to be both. She just shirks it better than most.
    In my last job, almost all the "people managers" shirked it. Whenever there were too many complaints - which was often - the works council (of which I was a member) had to get involved. It was incredible that you had to spell out to these people what their job was. "You're a team leader, it's what it says in your contract. That means you have to lead your team. What it doesn't mean is that you sit in your office all day with all your freelance mates and work out what you have to do to win your next in-branch award."

It was only the male "people managers" who did that. The female ones, of which there were very few, did things properly.

Comment

I'm still in my temporary room five months after my department moved back to the main building from next door. It's known as the fishbowl as the walls are half-glazed (frosted) and it's on an effective T-junction of corridors, next to the ladies and the kitchen, so I see everyone going past.

I don't mind it, as I can also see what's going on and chat to people if the mood takes me.

The annoyance is that they're finally getting round to fixing my actual office (old building, so horsehair plaster etc.) which is smaller, faces the main road (noisier, filth coming through the window when it's open) and the only people who pass by are my secretary, my boss and his secretary.

Comment

Not an annoyance, but our CEO told me today that he is aware that I've been overworked and overwhelmed and that they are working on finding an assistant for me.

Comment

Woo hoo!

Comment

Thanks, I feel buoyed by this news, especially as it just came up in an unrelated conversation (i.e., I did not have to bring it up first).

Comment

That's promising news, FF

Comment

She hasn't met the assistant yet...

Comment

That's excellent. Once you get someone your next challenge is going to be to learn to delegate

Comment

Great to hear that, FF.

Comment

Excellent. Once you get your assistant, give them all the work to do, and chill.

Comment

Please, Office Gods, let it be someone I can shape in my own image. Or at least someone who cares about doing a good job.

Comment

Do you get any say in it? If you're part of the selection process then I would always recommend going for attitude over experience.

Comment

Our twice weekly meetings have been moved an hour earlier, to 8 am. Bah. I was asked if I minded, as it will make it easier for the Aussies to put children to bed.

have to get up at 7.45 now.

Comment

Fuck them Aussies. Their fault for living so far from fuck all. Anything before 8 is inhumane.

Comment

Good grief, the Aussies seem to have it out for you, MsD.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Do you get any say in it? If you're part of the selection process then I would always recommend going for attitude over experience.
                                  No, I probably won't have a lot of say, but I agree with you about attitude vs experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                    Our twice weekly meetings have been moved an hour earlier, to 8 am. Bah. I was asked if I minded, as it will make it easier for the Aussies to put children to bed.

have to get up at 7.45 now.
                                    Hang on. They're making this request now, when Sydney /Melbourne are only 9 hours ahead of the UK rather than a couple of weeks ago when the difference was 11 hours? That makes zero sense

Comment

Yeh, I don't get it, either. And in my day, my mother just yelled "GO TO BED!!" and that was pretty much it. I think they're early risers/early to bed people. Weirdos. Why would you get up or go to bed before you have to, as a grown-up?

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                        Good grief, the Aussies seem to have it out for you, MsD.
                                        That's interesting. We would say "in" there

Comment

So would I.

Maybe it is a Bayou thing.

Comment

Maybe it's a Boston thing. I've never thought about it, but I have no idea why I say out instead of in. Interesting.

Comment

This 8am meeting thing has fucked my day right up, piss, moan.

Comment

I find that they can work if one can take a nap in the early afternoon. YMMV

Comment

I have a gig in the City from 4-midnight tonight, and a couple of evenings next week. Went back for a nap, had a doze. The cat came back to bed, having maiowed her way through the meeting as per, was snoring her head off and seems bright and restored now.

Comment

I worked yesterday from 9am to 7pm took Teddy for his walk, ate a sandwich, then worked some more, from 8pm to midnight. Getting up at 8:15am to do it all again is brutal. When I work that late, it's hard to shut off my brain to fall asleep. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X