Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Office annoyances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    Jinx!
    What do you win in the UK when you call the jinx first?

    Comment


      Oh, and lollipops were actually called 'suckers' when I was a kid. Lollipop was, I dunno, like the formal name your aunt would use. Kids just called 'em suckers.

      Comment


        Originally posted by WOM View Post

        What do you win in the UK when you call the jinx first?
        The loser can't speak until somebody says his or her name

        Comment


          Honestly, I don't think any other industry can match healthcare professionals for fucking terrible PowerPoint presentations

          Comment


            Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Honestly, I don't think any other industry can match healthcare professionals for fucking terrible PowerPoint presentations
            Pah.

            Comment


              I feel like SB's mother lied to him so that whenever anyone mentioned Ice Lollies at the park he had no concept of what it was, and when lollies were given out he was given a mini milk. I imagine his teeth are pristine.

              Comment


                Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Oh, and lollipops were actually called 'suckers' when I was a kid. Lollipop was, I dunno, like the formal name your aunt would use. Kids just called 'em suckers.
                They still are called suckers out here on the east coast. VL jnr. came home weighed down with about a kilo of the bloody things after Valentines Day at school. He was a bit confused when I referred to them as 'lollies', but then again the word 'sucker' would make more sense for him as he's grown up calling them 'Lutscher' in German... which translates literally into English as 'sucker'.

                Comment


                  Is / was he always able to flip back and forth between English and German? As in, did he just slip right into the school routine in English?

                  Comment


                    He's done pretty well with the languages so far and has got into the English language routine at school with hardly any problems, and of course at his age he's picking up the accent around him at top speed and has now started to tell me when I'm using the 'wrong' word. Pavement? No, that'd be the sidewalk of course...

                    We have noticed that he's (naturally) becoming less prepared to use German at home now though: understandable as his day-to-day language is now English. He still mixes up the two a bit and drops in a word from the other language if he can't think of it in the one he was speaking, but all three of us do that, and always have done, come to think of it. We still try to keep the language split at home (English with me, German with B) but he often asks me to read his bedtime story in German, so I think he misses hearing that all the time. Luckily, Skype makes it easy to call the family in Germany and he can babble on with his cousins too.

                    Comment


                      Unjinx!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by JVL View Post
                        He's done pretty well with the languages so far and has got into the English language routine at school with hardly any problems, and of course at his age he's picking up the accent around him at top speed and has now started to tell me when I'm using the 'wrong' word. Pavement? No, that'd be the sidewalk of course...

                        We have noticed that he's (naturally) becoming less prepared to use German at home now though: understandable as his day-to-day language is now English. He still mixes up the two a bit and drops in a word from the other language if he can't think of it in the one he was speaking, but all three of us do that, and always have done, come to think of it. We still try to keep the language split at home (English with me, German with B) but he often asks me to read his bedtime story in German, so I think he misses hearing that all the time. Luckily, Skype makes it easy to call the family in Germany and he can babble on with his cousins too.
                        That's good news. I knew you and B had mastered the back and forth, but didn't know if Jr had been raised with the 50/50 balance. Glad to hear he's finding his way so well.

                        Comment


                          The cat has started to take real exception to my conference calls, and howls all the way through them, as well as knocking things off surfaces. As soon as the call ends, she's fine.

                          Might have to start shutting her out when I'm on a call.

                          Comment


                            Redundancies announced at work today. My role is not at risk but it's a small enough company that I know everyone that will go. Which sucks.

                            Comment


                              If youíd had too much to drink, got involved in a bit of hanky panky and were now frantically but fruitlessly humping away for hours on end, would you really want a manager tapping you on the shoulder every hour asking for a status update?

                              Anyway, thatís the best analogy I can come up with for trying to debug some horrendously complicated program code. Itís fucking gruelling and no amount of ďAre we there yet?Ē questions will get me to reach climax.

                              Or something.

                              Comment


                                HORN: If someone did that to me, I would kick them in the bollox.

                                I worked until just after 8pm--totally my fault, but I was so focused on what I was doing that I lost track of time. So earlier this week I was fretting about a database issue that I decided to solve by creating an Access front-end to do the part that I couldn't do with our web app front-end. I started setting up a simple form. It just needed to be usable--nothing fancy or overly complicated. Well, one thing led to another, as it always does, and I realized that the more I use SQL, the more I forget about Access VBA.

                                And at one point, the Access form kept changing a value in my table every time I opened it. WTF? I still don't know how that was happening, but at least it was limited to the same record every time.

                                Comment


                                  Hell of a thunderstorm for March, eh?

                                  How's Teddy holding up?

                                  Comment


                                    He's curled up under my feet. I almost stepped on him when I got up to go the kitchen. He was on the sofa next to me, but he saw a bright flash of lightning and slithered off to the floor.

                                    I gave him a CBD dog treat, but I don't know how much they actually help him.

                                    Comment


                                      Poor guy.

                                      It a pretty much over.

                                      Comment


                                        He's back on the sofa now, sleeping, and based on the way he's lying on his back, I think maybe the CBD does work.

                                        Comment


                                          5,000,000 Deadheads can't be wrong...

                                          Comment


                                            I completed my office move yesterday.

                                            The new one is smaller (reflecting my retired status), but comes with a splendid view of the harbour and Statue of Liberty (when the sun isn't so bright one needs to keep the shades down). The winnowing process is interesting. It is striking how much one can dispense with once one is no longer concerned about it possibly being useful as prescedent. I actually have empty drawers for the first time in ages.

                                            Comment


                                              Is your office on the Staten Island ferry?

                                              Comment


                                                No, but I can see them coming and going.

                                                ​​​​​​Back in the 80s, the firm was at One State, which is across the street from the terminal. Which is why so much of our long term staff is from Staten Island

                                                Comment


                                                  "Working Girl" theme tune earworm.

                                                  Comment


                                                    Why do you need an office if you are retired?

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X