Office annoyances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office annoyances

This is a first world problem really, but where I work people seem incapable of washing up the teaspoons properly, so they always have a grimy patina of old tea/coffee/horlicks on them.

It's not that hard to wash teaspoons. Bit of washing up liquid and a sponge scourer is all you need.

Why are people incapable of doing this?

Office annoyances

Jongudmund wrote: Why are people incapable of doing this?
    It's an attitude problem. I blame Eminem.

I suspect the new guy in my office to be some kind of vampire. We have a south-facing office on the fifth floor, and no matter the weather he insists on putting the blinds down and the artificial lights on. I strongly prefer to work by natural light and be able to stare outside every once in a while, but it's just not annoying enough to get in a fight over.

Comment

Office annoyances

Smallcaps wrote: I suspect the new guy in my office to be some kind of vampire. We have a south-facing office on the fifth floor, and no matter the weather he insists on putting the blinds down and the artificial lights on. I strongly prefer to work by natural light and be able to stare outside every once in a while, but it's just not annoying enough to get in a fight over.
      Oh, I've worked with one of them. I don't think she was a vampire, though, unless vampires are typically squat, bolshie Blackpool fans.

Comment

Office annoyances

If he's new, just tell him that it's not up to him to dictate the light of the office to everyone else.

A lot of my colleagues have the habit of leaving huge piles of old newspapers on their desks, leading to a build-up of dust. They don't even use them for research purposes or anything, they just let them steadily pile up. It's really annoying.

Comment

Office annoyances

Jongudmund wrote: Why are people incapable of doing this?
          Tragedy of the commons, innit.

My pointless office gripe of the day is people using the office kitchen as an impromptu office space, then scowling like twats at people who have the temerity to use it for its proper purpose.

Comment

Office annoyances

Jongudmund wrote: This is a first world problem really, but where I work people seem incapable of washing up the teaspoons properly, so they always have a grimy patina of old tea/coffee/horlicks on them.

It's not that hard to wash teaspoons. Bit of washing up liquid and a sponge scourer is all you need.

Why are people incapable of doing this?
            You have communal silverware? In my office we have big serving utensils for parties that we reuse, but everyone seems to have their own spoon or fork. I have plenty of plastic ones in my desk.

Comment

Office annoyances

Iíve worked in an office for most of my adult life. As such, pretty much everything gets on my tits. Iíve also found thereís an inverse relationship between the size of the supposed indiscretion and the subsequent reaction. For example, Iíve seen people take very public dressing downs over accounts they had nothing to do with good grace and humourÖbut you borrow their stapler without asking and they become seething, spittle-flecked, wind-milling balls of furry. One poor lass happened to have a mild dose of the sniffles over Christmas; the office was like Lord of the Flies before lunchtime. People just shouldn't spend this amount of time together.

Comment

Office annoyances

In the last proper office environment I worked in there was once a serious exchange of words between two colleagues because one changed the little stereo we had from Radio Two to One.

They didnít speak for about two days. Silly buggers.

Comment

Office annoyances

NickSTFU wrote: In the last proper office environment I worked in there was once a serious exchange of words between two colleagues because one changed the little stereo we had from Radio Two to One.

They didnít speak for about two days. Silly buggers.
                  Well, let's not get carried away...Radio One? I'd have his eyes for that on taste-grounds alone.

Comment

Office annoyances

Re: spoons. We have someone in charge of washing up (they have other responsibilities, before you think I'm working in some Shangri-la type place). This seems to be an invitation for everyone else to leave their spoons, coffee residue and all, lying wherever they car to place. I hate this. It's disrespectful and completely ignorant of other people who hate to see 15 teaspoons lying next to a sink with bits of brown liquid seeping off their spoon. At least put them in the sink of soapy water that's been run for the sole purpose of washing up the crap you're leaving on a work surface. Twice the cleaning up otherwise.

Comment

Office annoyances

I work in the department which is responsible for buying the milk for the entire building. Every Monday a huge delivery is made and sometimes the milk runs out by Friday night.

It's amazing how seemingly normal humans turn rabid when told that the milk won't be delivered until Monday and they get so rude. It's a tiny weeny part of our job and they should be grateful that the milk is free to them. If they cannot function without a drop of milk in their coffee, they can walk the hundred yards to the corner shop and buy a pint.

Comment

Office annoyances

In my last office, the directors were ignorant, incompetent arseholes, and made me redundant.

I never did get that Employee of the Month award.

Comment

Office annoyances

Much griping here on the free-and-easy attitude the solicitors next-door have towards our cutlery. Surely the over-paid parasites can afford their own teaspoons...

Comment

Office annoyances

I am in an open-plan office. There is a person ten feet away from me speaking on a conference call. There is another person five feet away from me on the same conference call, using speakerphone.

There is an empty meeting room behind me with a capacity for two or three people.

This happens quite a lot.

Comment

Office annoyances

Upon arriving at the office after the Christmas break, I discovered a large empty space where my desk had been when I left work the day before Christmas Eve. There was a bloke sat at the neighbouring desk opposite whom Iíd never seen before and who turned out to be a new member of the board of directors.

As it was his first day at the company, he had no idea what had happened to my computer, my phone, my stationery, my Samantha Fox pin-ups and all the rest of it. Nobody else was in the office, so I ended up having to play hunt-the-computer (I knew the last four figures of the reference number as they are the same as my year of birth).

When my nominal superior swanned in three hours later, I asked him what it was all about. He mumbled what he thought was an apology and then said it was actually my fault and that Iíd have been informed about the change of desks during my absence, of course I would have, only nobody at work knew my private numbers and addresses (which, apart from anything else, is untrue).

Half an hour after that, his secretary came in with a box of chocolates as a kiss-and-make-up gesture from our beloved line manager. Judging by the rather battered and unwrapped state of the packaging, I suspect that I was given somebody elseís Christmas present.

Stylish one, you twat.

Comment

Office annoyances

treibeis wrote: Upon arriving at the office after the Christmas break, I discovered a large empty space where my desk had been when I left work the day before Christmas Eve. There was a bloke sat at the neighbouring desk opposite whom Iíd never seen before and who turned out to be a new member of the board of directors.

As it was his first day at the company, he had no idea what had happened to my computer, my phone, my stationery, my Samantha Fox pin-ups and all the rest of it. Nobody else was in the office, so I ended up having to play hunt-the-computer (I knew the last four figures of the reference number as they are the same as my year of birth).

When my nominal superior swanned in three hours later, I asked him what it was all about. He mumbled what he thought was an apology and then said it was actually my fault and that Iíd have been informed about the change of desks during my absence, of course I would have, only nobody at work knew my private numbers and addresses (which, apart from anything else, is untrue).

Half an hour after that, his secretary came in with a box of chocolates as a kiss-and-make-up gesture from our beloved line manager. Judging by the rather battered and unwrapped state of the packaging, I suspect that I was given somebody elseís Christmas present.

Stylish one, you twat.
                                Did you complain to his manager?

Comment

Office annoyances

Sorry to hear about this treibeis. Hope it all gets sorted out.

Comment

Office annoyances

caja-dglh wrote: I am in an open-plan office. There is a person ten feet away from me speaking on a conference call. There is another person five feet away from me on the same conference call, using speakerphone.

There is an empty meeting room behind me with a capacity for two or three people.

This happens quite a lot.
                                    If my experience is anything to go by, the meeting room was probably booked (possibly in an open-ended recurring fashion) for a long-ago cancelled meeting, resulting in the booking system showing it as booked and therefore unavailable.

Still doesn't excuse using loudspeaking in an open office though; use the handpiece or get a fucking headset.

Comment

Office annoyances

Ah - this is where it gets better, willie. It is a meeting room that was clearly empty that is a "huddle room", making it unavailable for reservations.

Comment

Office annoyances

caja-dglh wrote: Ah - this is where it gets better, willie. It is a meeting room that was clearly empty that is a "huddle room", making it unavailable for reservations.
                                        Then I would politely (as you can possibly be under the circumstances) suggest to them that they move into the meeting room next time it happens. Ignorant pricks.....

Comment

Office annoyances

My current office is open plan, which is fine, but instead of the toilets being discretely tucked away in the corner, there are a series of individual toilet cubicles scattered around each floor.

Which both removes the anonymity of going to the toilet and also means half the office can listen to what's going on.

Also, last winter, we had a pair of eagle owls and 3 chicks living just outside my window. It was charming for the first few days but then became of month of dozens of staff spending the day at my desk pointing, folk booking rooms in the hotel opposite and training binoculars at my desk and IT on the phone telling me to turn the webcam a bit.

Though to be fair, my productivity increased as I had to appear to be working instead of playing Lexulous half the day

Comment

Office annoyances

My (shared) office used to be next door to another larger office, and we have a communal kitchen. I had a cafetiere, fresh milk, a range of cutlery and crockery.

Now they have moved the student radio station into that office. Within weeks formal complaints were made about them eating the packed lunches of the admin staff that had been left in the fridge. The management solution was to remove the fridge. Followed by the microwave.

Now if my things haven't been nicked or smashed, they are left dirty and strewn across the surfaces.

Complaints have also been made about the noise pollution from their office. Management solution? 'They need to expand.'

Rumours about them annexing my office abound...

°No pasaran!

NB If this was some rebellious and critical student station, or even if they played interesting music, I'd be among their 1st defenders. No- it is a brainless broadcaster of computer-generated chart fodder, with 'news' coverage often invoving x factor results and gossip. Multi-award-winning, of course, cos what better training for the 'real world' could there be?

Comment

Office annoyances

The dead ladybird that's been stuck in the window in the kitchen since it woke up too early last March has finally been cleared away...

Comment

Office annoyances

The temp (as mentioned on the mundane thread, several times) has found a new way to irritate me. Well, I say me, I actually mean EVERYONE IN FUCKING EARSHOT.

He has just - very slowly and methodically - eaten a full packet of Starburst. Nothing wrong with that, other than each sweet must have taken around 5 minutes to chew. With his mouth open. Whilst breathing in. Through his mouth. The sound, the damn sound, will never leave my ears.

I am going to kill him. Possibly by strangulation with his own god-awful tie.

Comment

Office annoyances

Good call on the whole tea-point friction issue. At my office, this is so small that queues are frequently out of the door; furthermore the fact that it is placed right next to the gentsí means that collisions are commonplace. Never mind now wash your hands, check your flies would be just as apt.

To me itís the temperature thing. Thereís always one person in any office that is always cold. Fine in the winter but in those rare times when temperatures sneak above 70 degrees Fahrenheit it is taking the pish somewhat. During these more tropical moments you will always get someone complaining whenever someone opens a window (no air-con here btw). When people are cold, no matter how sensitive they are, they have the luxury of adding a layer. When youíre hot and youíre down to the bare bones layer-wise then the exposure of more than the usual amount of flesh is not a desirable prospect (in my case, leastways).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X