Just Did It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Did It

Barring printing/binding/submission disasters, I've finished my thesis.

I don't quite know how I feel about this. Strange, mostly.

Just Did It

Seeing as I appear to be the only other person about, can I be the first to offer my congratulations.

Well done t4.

Comment

Just Did It

Mazel Tov, mate.

I think you should go treat yourself to a really nice glass of scotch.

Comment

Just Did It

I already facebooked him my congrats, but I don't want to look like a jackass just cruising about on the thread without saying anything.

Well done, toro. Ya done it. And yes, go drink something. Anything. Maybe everything.

Comment

Just Did It

Thank you all.

Nowhere to drink at this hour on a Sunday, though

Comment

Just Did It

I just poured myself an Oban. Since you're not having any, I will have a second on your behalf.

I always find moments of accomplishment like that to be very Zen. There is a fleeting emptiness to life after feeling a major task. An emptiness pregnant with potential - so many possible doors open, so many choices. And all of them open becuase you, through hard work and force of will, have just finished this major task. At which point the zen becomes a flurry af air-punching "woohoo!"s because, let's face it, you rock. Obviously, because you've just finished this thing.

It's a good feeling. I hope that's where you'll be mentally for the next few days.

Comment

Just Did It

Splendid TTT. Relish the moment and extend it as long as intemperance will allow.

And don't, whatever you do, think about what you're going to do next.

For at least a week

Or so...

Comment

Just Did It

I had a boiled egg in your honour. It's a little too early to drink even for me.

Comment

Just Did It

Excellent news, toro. I hope you find another purpose in life now [smiley thingy etc).

Comment

Just Did It

Congratulations.... what's it about?

Comment

Just Did It

There once was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick, and it lived happily ever after.

Well done.

Comment

Just Did It

Most heartfelt congratulations, toro.

Comment

Just Did It

Congratulations Toro.

What's the title?

Do you know when the viva is? Do you get much say in your external? Asking around, it seems there's a lot of variability in that between countries and between subject areas. In my research group we get a lot of input into the process, but I hear stories of others who basically just get told who they're getting.

Comment

Just Did It

Tell me more about this sausage.

Comment

Just Did It

Nice one toro. I hope you don't experience what I'm getting now, which is a massive rush of things that fucking should be in my MA plan (to be presented tomorrow) but I've somehow missed out. It's a really fucking bad week to be talking about a paper on NATO written 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Just Did It

Yep, congratulations, toro. (And if you've any sense you won't read this for a few days at which point you'll be suffering from a very bad hangover.)

Comment

Just Did It

Congratulations, that's fabulous. And best of luck with the viva, too.

I wish I was you.

Comment

Just Did It

So, just got it back from the binders and handed up.

Wow.

Thank you all.

Er, it's about "The Role of the Fact/Value Distinction in Modern Moral Life". What values are, and how we should talk about them.

There's nothing about sausages, I'm afraid, but plenty on dolphin gang-rape, the collected works of Flann O'Brien, Peter Sellars doing spoken-word beatles covers, the correct name of Derry, child abuse, why I never (yet) played for Liverpool, and learning to change gears when driving.

thom - my viva is on May 5th, which causes some difficulty as it's a bank holiday and the university will be shut. I had a fair bit of say on the external, yeah, but not everyone does. It's going to be Simon Blackburn - nerve-wracking, since he's a bit of a superstar and has very high standards, but good since he'll broadly agree (I *think*) with most of what I have to say, and will be a superb referee to have if I get passed.

Comment

Just Did It

There's nothing about sausages, I'm afraid,
                                      I see. And it's too late to add anything, you say?

Comment

Just Did It

Well, I have little doubt that the absence of sausage-related conjecture will be noted in the viva, and that I'll have to add it in as a correction. So fret not.

Comment

Just Did It

Congratulations, I suppose. Does this mean you'll have to get a proper job?

Comment

Just Did It

Congrats, Toro4. For us mere mortals please could you explain what a viva is (and how does it differ from, say, an Astra or a Corsair)?

Comment

Just Did It

What are you saying about Flann O'Brien? (I'm not saying that in a pejorative "what you sayin' about him ya cunt?" way - just interested, being a bit of a fan). He'd have appreciated a random diversion about sausages too. Still, can't have everything.

Comment

Just Did It

Simon Blackburn eh? Big name indeed, as he's probably the only person in your field that I've heard of. I do hear the logic behind getting someone like that as a referee though - I'm currently in discussion with my supervisor about my external, and that sort of thing is a consideration.

Good luck.

Comment

Just Did It

boris - a "viva voce" is an oral exam - you have an internal and an external examiner (i.e., someone from your university, and someone from somewhere else) who quiz you in detail on the thesis, and you have to defend it. They can pass it, or have you do more work on it, or fail it, on the basis of that oral defence.

E10 - he comes up twice. Firstly, I say that just because facts and values always come packaged together, they don't turn into one another, and contrast it with O'Brien's thing about policemen and their bicycles becoming more like each other through the exchange of atoms in The Third Policeman.

Then, discussing Alasdair MacIntyre's idea that the proper ends of a life are given by the narrative of that life, I point out that free choice of ends puts any putative "narrator" in the situation of the writer in At Swim-Two-Birds, whose characters do pretty much what they like, regardless of what he thinks about it.

Chubby - yeah, probably

Comment

Working...
                                                  X