Getting harder to find reasons to be excited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a good job and I have a nice place to live (although paying for it is part of the impetus for this post--I have to keep reminding myself that I'm building equity instead of giving my money to a landlord, but that doesn't always make it easier to swallow). I know in the back of my mind that I could put it back on the market and go back to renting (or buy a cheaper place with fewer amenities), and since I bought at a very good time, I might even make a few thousand dollars if I were to sell it. But I don't want it to come to that. I love my apartment and I love almost everything about it. I don't want to live somewhere else--and I hate moving.

I just read a headline on the NY Times website that read: "Health Insurers Raise Some Rates by Double Digits".

Well, of course they were going to do that. That's what this country is all about: making sure the rich don't suffer and fucking the rest of us at every turn.

My company has already used the tired old excuse that the economy is in the shitter to avoid giving us pay raises, or even a decent end of year bonus (I got $750 this year--compare that to previous years when it ranged from $2000-$5000). But still, I was happy to get it, and I feel grateful that I even have this job. A job. Any job.

But back to the insurance rates--this is why we need a single-payer system, like most other progressive countries have. Allowing the free market to dictate how much we pay for premiums is only going to hurt the very people the law was intended to help, and it won't be just the very poor. In fact, I think the people who will suffer most are the people like me, in the middle. The government already has programs in place for the very poor, inadequate as they may be in some cases.

Some days, I feel like staying in bed. Will things get better for us regular people, or will they get even worse before that happens?

Sorry for this self-pitying moan--I do know that, even in my current state of brokeness, I am much better off than many, many people, but I just despair at the social and economic disparity that seems to be at an all-time high in the USA (and, I'm sure it's no different in the UK or any other industrialized countries).

I honestly sometimes wonder just what is the fucking point?

I've long thought that the widening wealth gap is a one-way street that guarantees a very bad outcome. Things will have to get much worse before they improve (and they will).

It's not as big an issue as climate change, though I suppose that will serve to make the disparity seem more immediately relevant to more people.

Comment

But will it? I think the economy distracts from issues like climate change. When people are so busy just trying to survive, they don't tend to be overly concerned about issues over which they have no personal control. I think the average person doesn't understand what causes climate change, or what can be done to control it.

Comment

Have a nice cuppa tea then take the dog for a walk. You'll feel loads better.

Comment

I have to take down the xmas decorations first. Maybe that will help--for a minute.

I know this is weird, but sometimes when I wake up, before I get out of bed, I try to figure out the meaning of life. It's really strange, isn't it? We live, we die, new ones are born, they live, they die. Where will it all end, and what is the purpose, if so many people are suffering? If we're going to have to live this life, shouldn't we all be happy? What is the point of a miserable life?

Just what is the bloody point of human existence?

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: But will it? I think the economy distracts from issues like climate change. When people are so busy just trying to survive, they don't tend to be overly concerned about issues over which they have no personal control. I think the average person doesn't understand what causes climate change, or what can be done to control it.
            Totally agree. I haven't gotten a raise in a number of yrs and more is taken out of my check for insurance and retirement. And the word retirement is one I hope I can count on the state being solvent enough to pay me in 10-15 yrs time.

Most of us are on that hamster wheel that keeps going round and round, but never forward. My main consolation, and it's a biggie, is that I love my job and feel pretty secure that it will be around long enough for retirement.

Comment

You know where scientists made their biggest mistake? By using the term "global warming". They should have just called it "climate change" from the start, then I wouldn't have to listen to people like my mother say, "Well, so much for global warming" when I complain that it's too cold.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: I have to take down the xmas decorations first. Maybe that will help--for a minute.

I know this is weird, but sometimes when I wake up, before I get out of bed, I try to figure out the meaning of life. It's really strange, isn't it? We live, we die, new ones are born, they live, they die. Where will it all end, and what is the purpose, if so many people are suffering? If we're going to have to live this life, shouldn't we all be happy? What is the point of a miserable life?

Just what is the bloody point of human existence?
                42?

If there were a meaning to life, would it satisfy everyone? Don't see how it possibly could. Also, it's clear that we're not meant/built to discover it, so might as well not waste any time thinking about it. Better to just accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.

Comment

That sounds like some of that religious nonsense, Bruno.

Comment

What, Johnny Mercer?

Comment

Nope nope nope.

If there were a meaning to life, would it satisfy everyone?
                      Surely one of the biggest practical consequences of the transition from the Religious Age to the (Ever-So-Slightly-More-)Rational Age is the understanding that there isn't an objective "meaning to life" out there to be found; that it's up to you to construct it yourself, for yourself.

Also, it's clear that we're not meant/built to discover it, so might as well not waste any time thinking about it.
                      Much too Zen-pessimist for me. Again, it's not something you discover, but something you create; though i should note that what our species has been using as a sort of default raison d'etre -- "Be Fruitful and Multiply" -- is getting us into a fair amount of trouble, so best to try something else.

Comment

Having said that, i get the feeling i'm being a total boy about this, responding to a request for emotional comfort with pompous rationalizations, so i'll second the excellent "walk the dog" suggestion above. In my experience, vigorous exercise (and Not Drinking) are sovereign cures for the existential blahs, particularly post-holiday.

Comment

alyxandr wrote: Much too Zen-pessimist for me. Again, it's not something you discover, but something you create;
                          I'll see your Zen pessimism and raise you a New Age blather. The kids murdered in Newtown didn't get to create shit.

Comment

I didn't mean to suggest that the requirement that we provide our own wasn't horrifying, or enormously difficult to achieve. And you appear to be invoking the Problem of Evil, which, to me, is the final unanswerable argument against receiving such a thing from some benevolent sky-fairy, unless i'm missing your point.

Comment

On the other hand, the kids in Newtown will never have to wonder if they'll have enough money to feed their kids or pay for expensive medical treatments.

Comment

I really wasn't looking for sympathy. I was just trying to start a discussion.

(and I did walk the dog. I don't care what they say about a January warm-up, it's still cold outside)

Comment

True. Ultimately I feel more sorry for their families than for them.

alyxandr, multiple self-created "meanings", as circumstances permit, is fine. I thought we were talking about the meaning of life. Which is either a red herring or well beyond our ken.

Comment

Well, we're having a sort of violent agreement then. Sorry if my incoherence was more annoying than usual. (OK, that sounded sarcastic, but it wasn't, honest.)

Comment

I just had a really potent stout, and am a lightweight, so I'm feeling less than cocky about my own coherence. I feel closer to the meaning of life, though.

Comment

I find a bit of kick ass rock n roll helps. Volume up.

edit:

Or some sweet soul music.

Comment

Working...
                                        X