Mark Lynas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Lynas

First he recants his views on the nuclear industry, now he apologizes for being 100% wrong on GMOs for over a decade.

Personally, I agree with his new stance in both those instances (nuclear power and GMOs being both problematic but still likelier better than the alternatives). And I like people who can change their minds based on a reading of scientific excellence.

But even so, somehow this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like it;s a textbook example of why we shouldn't pay attention to youth because they'll change their mind as soon as they get round to working out how the world actually works.

I am, admittedly, an old, old man. But, y'know?

Mark Lynas

I agree. You are old.

But look, I'm all for anyone who can change a deeply-held way of thinking. And doubly supportive of anyone who comes out publicly and says so.

There was a guy on CBC radio a few weeks back overturning his entire life's work (sociology/psychology) saying that homosexuality could be cured through therapy. Older guy from the US...can't remember his name. Anyway, he came out saying his life's work was clearly bunk and he'd hurt innumerable people through bad science.

And, you know, good on him for finally coming round and having the balls to try to undo a bit of the wrong.

Comment

Mark Lynas

It's not that I have a problem with what he's done *now*.

It's that I think this is a textbook reason why no one under 30 should be given a microphone or a newspaper/magazine column.

Comment

Mark Lynas

Well, I tend to agree with you. I posted as much a while back when I said I didn't think much of ideological 22 year-olds coming to my door and telling me how I should vote. I believe I said something like "Yeah, fuck off and work and pay taxes and some bills for a while and then get back to me with your views".

Comment

Mark Lynas

You two...

Comment

Mark Lynas

Just a rumour. Nothing to it.

Comment

Working...
            X