People Whose Former Celebrity now seems Bizarre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As in, "I can't believe that X used to be famous. He/she has no charisma nor talent, and even by the normal low standards of celebrity his/her fame now seems very odd."

The early 70s seems a strange place when measured by pop and telly stardom. Alvin Stardust, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Robin Nedwell.

Then the 80s: Hale & Pace, Duncan Norvill (sp?). Did I just dream those nightmares?

Steps. B*Witched.

Comment

You may not like Gilbert O'Sullivan - I don't much care for him myself - but lack of talent is not something he can fairly be accused of.

Anyway, why confine your gaze to the past? Righ now people are put on our screens and into our headphones, and lionised, who are every bit as worthless as any from previous decades.

Comment

At least those mentioned above have done something notable that can be acknowledge as some sort of achievement (though I would like to think that Norvell's act would not be accepted nowadays). There is such a huge platform to fill now that you can get on reality shows for merely being married to someone famous, or even just fucking them.

Comment

Marilyn showing up in the Do They Know It's Christmas video always seems bizarre.

Comment

The early 70s seems a strange place when measured by pop and telly stardom. Alvin Stardust, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Robin Nedwell.

Remember Alvin was actually a star twice, in the seventies:

and the Sixties (Shane Fenton):

Has anyone else done a double-fame thing, where the second incarnation has no reference to the first?

Comment

Kim Wilde, once as 80's foxy poptress and, now, as gardener

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: At least those mentioned above have done something notable that can be acknowledge as some sort of achievement (though I would like to think that Norvell's act would not be accepted nowadays). There is such a huge platform to fill now that you can get on reality shows for merely being married to someone famous, or even just fucking them.
                This.

I agree there were some incredibly untalented famous folk in the 70s and 80s, but it's good to keep in mind we are sharing our lives with the Kardashians.

Comment

Risible old drag act Hinge and Bracket.

Comment

When the Sound of Music was on TV on Christmas Eve, I was inspired to look up more about the Von Trapps (I've never seen it before). A giant family of Austrians singing songs became popular performers, touring America. There's no way that would happen today.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Kim Wilde, once as 80's foxy poptress and, now, as gardener
                      Yes, but she at least used the same name, so it was more of a career transition than a rebirth — so to speak.

Comment

George wrote: Risible old drag act Hinge and Bracket.
                        I know the Kardashians are a bit ropey, but that is somewhat harsh.

Comment

The Von Trapp family still run a quite successful country inn near Stowe, Vermont, and are largely responsible for introducing cross-country skiing to the state (the inn has miles of trails).

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                            Originally posted by George
                            Risible old drag act Hinge and Bracket.
                            I know the Kardashians are a bit ropey, but that is somewhat harsh.
                            Only last night one of Mrs C's friends revealed that she stood in a queue at The Mirage waiting to catch a glimpse of one of those pointless Kardashian bints.
                            Sheesh.

Anyway, Ventriloquists.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Has anyone else done a double-fame thing, where the second incarnation has no reference to the first?
                              Paul Raven

Gary Glitter

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Has anyone else done a double-fame thing, where the second incarnation has no reference to the first?
                                Jilted John / John Shuttleworth?

Comment

Andy C wrote: You may not like Gilbert O'Sullivan - I don't much care for him myself - but lack of talent is not something he can fairly be accused of.

Anyway, why confine your gaze to the past? Righ now people are put on our screens and into our headphones, and lionised, who are every bit as worthless as any from previous decades.
                                  about 20 to 25 seconds into alone again naturally and I think it's pretty clear why gilbert o' sullivan was famous .

Comment

Prime time entertainment, 1991 style.

Yes, 1991.

Comment

Speaking of end of the pier acts Cannon and Ball's cinematic opus The Boys In Blue was on ITV4 on New Years Day.

Comment

My son and I watched Insidious last night and there's a creepy bit where this "dickens" Tiny Tim is singing the 60s Tiny Tim of Tip Toe Through The Tulips. We then went to youtube and watched the Laugh-In debut of Tiny Tim. Fascinating character. Imagine him today not getting nearly as far.

Comment

satchmo76 wrote: The early 70s seems a strange place when measured by pop and telly stardom. Alvin Stardust, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Robin Nedwell.
                                          I won't have Alvin Stardust's name sullied like that, he might have been a little too fond of leather catsuits but he had a great run of singles in 73-74. Red Dress in particular is excellent (you might want to skip the first 10 seconds of that clip though.)

Comment

I'm not your brother
                                            You're not my sister
                                            Lord above you're a girl and I'm a mister

Aye, they don't write 'em like that anymore.

Full marks to Alvin for wearing his rings outside his gloves too.
                                            Unusual but highly memorable.

Comment

Incandenza wrote: A giant family of Austrians singing songs became popular performers, touring America.
                                              So just how tall were they?

Anyway, end of the pier acts - the Crankies.

Comment

That Paul Raven fella looks familiar...

Anyway, I'm sure The Crankies are still famous up here, which speaks to the paucity of Scottish clebs more than anything.

As for the thread, Cannon & Ball were massive when I were a lad; the cry “rock on, Tommy” haunted my childhood.

Comment

Please, it's the Krankies.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X