Food that don't mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food that don't mix

If you order meatballs in Sweden you will get them with potato, brown sauce and ...lingonberry jam.

Pineapple on pizza, pineapple in a cabbage sallad. It's not for my tastebuds.

It would be way too easy to come up with disgusting dishes or mixes, but things that you can't imagine mix, who can come up with the most inventive, or whatever.

Chocolate dipped cheese, I can't imagine it would mix. I bet someone will enter now and say they've had it and it tasted great.

Food that don't mix

I get that Swedish meal at IKEA all the time and it's quite nice together. I also like pineapple on pizza, so maybe this isn't the thread for me.

Comment

Food that don't mix

Pineapple on pizza is wrong on all levels--unless it's a sweet desserty type of pizza, which I've never heard of, but maybe someone should invent.

Comment

Food that don't mix

This Article Mostly deals with any and all food deep fried, state fair style.

Smoked lizard dipped in barbecue sauce. Deep-fried crickets. Fudge-covered scorpion. Nope, these aren’t the latest exotic street food offerings from half a world away. These multilegged dishes are prepared by a vendor known as Chef John at the Arizona State Fair, held every fall in Phoenix.

Comment

Food that don't mix

Femme Folle wrote: Pineapple on pizza is wrong on all levels--unless it's a sweet desserty type of pizza, which I've never heard of, but maybe someone should invent.
          I'm sorry that you're so wrong on this. You see, in the same way the lingonberry jam works with the beefy gravy, the pineapple works with the ham: sweet with savory. Like a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

Comment

Food that don't mix

I'm not a great fan of the cinnamon, nutmeg or whatever it is that's added to certain types of canned fish in Sweden. You eat cinnamon with rice pudding, not with fish.

At Christmas, my stepmother-in-law made me make the starter for her birthday meal on 25th December. I can't remember what it was called, but it was allegedly something typically Swedish and had prawns, egg and oranges in it. It probably had cinnamon in it as well. And cardamom.

I like to think that the fact that nobody, not even the birthday girl herself, touched it (or even looked at it) was due to the combination of ingredients rather than to the incompetence of the person who prepared it.

Comment

Food that don't mix

chocolate and strawberries is so wrong

Comment

Food that don't mix

The lingonberry jam on meatballs certainly does work for the same reason that cranberry sauce works with turkey.

I have a feeling though, FF, that there is a sort of pineapple dessert pizza with mascarpone. I shall dig out my Italian cooking encyclopaedia and let you know. However, on a normal savoury pizza, pineapple is a shit idea. Tomatoes are plenty sweet enough in themselves and pineapple is too sweet especially if it is cooked.

I can sort of see cheese and chocolate but, again, it would have to be the right cheese and the right chocolate and it is still only going to be a novelty once in a blue moon thing. I have never taken to Morrocan lamb with fruit tagine type things as the lamb is sweet enough for me that I want something a bit more tart than sultanas or dates with it. However, I can see the evolution of that dish with the local ingredients.

Comment

Food that don't mix

For FF: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipe-collections/dessert-pizza/index.html

I like baked beans and I like orange juice, but I can't face drinking the latter when I'm eating the former. Too much bright orange, I suppose.

Comment

Food that don't mix

La Signora had snails, Maltesers and champagne on New Year's Eve.

Her stomach didn't sleep very well.

Comment

Food that don't mix

Tuna and sweetcorn. I don't get why it's acceptable to combine these in a sandwich.

Comment

Food that don't mix

Anything pickled with anything else. Give me a plate of pickled stuff -- cucumbers, beets, mushrooms, garlic, herring, whatever -- and i'm happy as a clam (well, maybe not pickled clams), but pickles just ruin a burger or sandwich or whatever else you put them on.

(I wasn't a huge pineapple-on-pizza fan either, until an Italian friend introduced me to the combination of pineapple and garlic. I don't know why it works, but it does.)

Comment

Food that don't mix

Accidentally discovered that tomato ketchup on lettuce doesn't work (consequence of a slightly messy pub fish and chip lunch).

Bringing Ketchup Back.

Comment

Food that don't mix

Some of those on Andy C's link just look like fruit tarts--which kind of is a dessert pizza, if you think about it.

Comment

Food that don't mix

chocolate and strawberries is so wrong
                              I'm speechless. Chocolate (dark!) and strawberries are wonderful together.

Comment

Food that don't mix

I agree with fox here, raspberries are a much better fit with dark chocolate. Strawberries and white chocolate go together better, especially in cakes.

Comment

Food that don't mix

White chocolate should be sued for being called chocolate. It's not fucking chocolate. It's...blech...

Comment

Food that don't mix

I've just checked and the only Italian pizza that I can see with pineapple is basically a pizza base, Gorgonzola and tinned pineapple. Sounds gross to me but makes more sense than a pizza with tomatoes, parmesan and pineapple

Comment

Food that don't mix

You can't have pineapple on a pizza without ham. Not proscuitto, nor pepperoni, ham. Pineapple with parmesan or gorgonzola is just not right.

WOM, white chocolate is pure cocao butter as you know, and it's yummy if it's good quality. It complements the sour side of strawberries better than dark or milk chocolate, especially if you have a bit of sponge cake as a base.

Comment

Food that don't mix

Pineapple on a pizza is for wrong 'uns who somehow think they're being sophisticated. Like any right-thinking Hawaiian would even contemplate that.

And to you publicans stuck in the seventies - putting raisins in your curry just makes you look a bit rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                                        X