I'm not going to get used to saying "I'm just going to the city"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Sam I'd still say that Port Stanley is how it's most commonly known here, no doubt a hangover from coverage of the war. I mean, that's what I call it and I was born two months AFTER the conflict ended.
    I was born two years after it started (almost to the day, in fact), and lived in England until I was 26, and might have heard it called Port Stanley before (I'm not going to pretend I can definitely say I hadn't), but certainly didn't realise that was at all a common name. Wiki calls it 'Stanley (also known as Port Stanley)' and Google Maps calls it Stanley (I'm slightly surprised to report that this is true even when I look at it from my current location; was expecting to zoom in and find everywhere given the Argentine names). As I implied in my first post, though, it's possible that I'd have realised without googling which place you and ad hoc were talking about had I been aware that it wasn't already a city.

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

The Falklands are about two thirds the size of wales. And 85% as big as northern ireland.
    I'm afraid I'm not really sure what that means. (I mean, I know what it means on a literal level, but I'm not sure what it means in reply to my post.)

Comment

Bangor is celebrating by bigging up the native oyster industry.

Stanley is really a twin village. One of which is there purely to guard the other.

Similarly, I commend San Bernardhinault for the innovative transport infrastructure linking San Diego and the Tijuana brass

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Why?
        I guess I've only ever been bothered by the whole christians thing, meself.

Some of them look nice, and could be made into interesting history places or communal eating halls or childcare or something. But then they wouldn't be cathedrals.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Some of them look nice,
          You're slowly being broken down!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

I'm afraid I'm not really sure what that means. (I mean, I know what it means on a literal level, but I'm not sure what it means in reply to my post.)
            The last line of the quoted post was that it was a tiny territory. As far as atlantic islands go, they're fucking massive.It's just that virtually no-one lives there and there's a tiny amount of road.

Comment

Ah I see. It was population I meant really, but even so 85% of Northern Ireland isn't that big. Being the biggest island group in the South Atlantic is a pretty thin boast really.

Comment

Anyway I did a bit of googling out of curiosity last night, following discussion upthread of other countries' conceptions of 'cities', and confirmed my suspicion that there are at least a couple of cities, officially classed as such, in Argentina (like, actually indisputably in Argentina) that have about half the population of Stanley.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Ah I see. It was population I meant really, but even so 85% of Northern Ireland isn't that big. Being the biggest island group in the South Atlantic is a pretty thin boast really.
                  Referring another current thread- wonder if NI will ever again knock Argentina out of the World Cup?

Comment

Working...
                  X