I'm not going to get used to saying "I'm just going to the city"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not going to get used to saying "I'm just going to the city"

Wrexham has been awarded city status as part of Brenda's big do, as well as Milton Keynes, Dunfermline, Bangor, Port Stanley, Douglas, Colchester and Doncaster.

The majority here don't want it thinking it'll lead to council tax hikes. Has that ever actually been the case?

The council on the other hand are going to be salivating. They're probably thinking we're nailed on now for 2025 City Of Culture. A few art exhibits dotted about and the Hollywood circus at the Racecourse does not a city of culture make.

Is there really a local majority against?

Comment

Yep, this is the third or fourth time we've bid for it since 2000 and every time the local rag has run a poll it's been at least 60% against. I think we know our place in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Port Stanley must rival St Davids for the "most minuscule city" title

Comment

Is it really called Port Stanley? My whole life I've been under the impression it was just Stanley, though it's called Puerto Argentino ('Argentine Port', or if we're being ridiculously literal 'Silvery Port') in Spanish Argentina (edited there, as on reading down its Wiki page a bit I've discovered, not entirely surprisingly, that it's known to lots of non-Argentines as Puerto Stanley). To such an extent that I've just been googling 'Port Stanley' followed by the name of each of the four consituent countries of the UK in a bid to find out where this place was. Only on googling 'Port Stanley Northern Ireland' have I been presented with headlines telling me that she is actually making the capital of the Falklands a city (ETA: one headline, in fact, and guess which OTF 'favourite' newspaper it's from?). It's news to me that it wasn't already, given that it's the capital of a(n admittedly tiny) territory.
          Last edited by Sam; 20-05-2022, 07:49.

Comment

At least Milton Keynes will officially be a city now - haven't people there been referring to it as such for years? Wasn't one of their previous football clubs called Milton Keynes City or am I just imagining that?

Comment

People from Milton Keynes have been pretending they are a city for decades, yeah. And at least one previous failed club in that hotbed of football was called MKC, indeed.

(I think there is currently a youth side with that name there )
              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 20-05-2022, 07:55.

Comment

It's probably in recognition of all the great 9-ball pool tournaments that have been held there in recent years. Big fan of Shane Van Boening, the queen.

Comment

Surprising that Tynwald can't just declare Douglas to be a city, or maybe they just show too much respect to feudal servitude?

Comment

It's an incredibly under-whelming award being made a city. I only wish Southend's award had been part of the Queen's big bash rather than over David Amess's murder.

Comment

So Guildford is shamefully overlooked again (!)

Comment

Oh, it's that Bangor. Not Bangor City's Bangor. That's going to cause even more confusion.

I'm just old enough to have seen Swansea Town FC at Exeter. Can't remember the game at all, but did have the programme with "Town" on.

I wonder if the decision-makers took football clubs into account? "Well, we could confer the status on Huddersfield, but would they want it now?".

Comment

[uff uff]summat about cathedrals[/uff uff]

Comment

"city" status is such a pile of utter wank, isn't it? I mean, do most languages even have words with which to make our "town" vs "city" distinction? Its sole practical use seems to be in tedious quiz questions.
                            Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 20-05-2022, 08:25.

Comment

I'm not really arsed either way to be honest, I just thought it was worth mentioning as something in the news that related to my hometown and wasn't about those two NoAm jokers (although that still seems to get mentioned in every article about this).

Sam I'd still say that Port Stanley is how it's most commonly known here, no doubt a hangover from coverage of the war. I mean, that's what I call it and I was born two months AFTER the conflict ended.

And yes, I should have cleared up the Bangor confusion.

And another yes, Mam has called me and mentioned the council tax thing.

And yet another yes, my brother texted me to say "will we still go Up The Town?"
                              Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 20-05-2022, 08:51.

Comment

Doncaster is fair enough but the rest of them can piss off quite frankly. Douglas isn't even in the UK ffs.

Nice to see the contest between Reading and us as to who can get snubbed the most times continues, I guess the trick is to relocate to Essex where they seem to be handing these out to every fucker who asks

Comment

Could be worse.

Comment

I'm not against Doncaster becoming a city, and if it was just a random allocation I'd think 'oh that's quite nice'. But Doncaster has spent loads of time and effort and (presumably) funds campaigning for this over the past 20 years or so; without ever really saying why. The coverage today is very much 'this will bring investments, benefits and opportunities to Doncaster', but no-one is saying what they are, or how exactly that'll happen. Unless you've a weird fetish for places being actual cities in name, whatever reason put you off choosing to relocate yourself or your business to Doncaster last month or last year still exists today.

There are probably specific government funds that you can apply for as a city, and if that's what it's about then I wish someone would just say so... 'Now we're a city we can apply for grant X that will allow us to do this particular thing' then I could actually see a reason for all the effort. But otherwise I just see time and money that could've been better spent supporting residents already living in one of the country's most deprived areas.
                                    Last edited by Uros Predic; 20-05-2022, 23:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                      Is it really called Port Stanley? My whole life I've been under the impression it was just Stanley, though it's called Puerto Argentino ('Argentine Port', or if we're being ridiculously literal 'Silvery Port') in Spanish Argentina (edited there, as on reading down its Wiki page a bit I've discovered, not entirely surprisingly, that it's known to lots of non-Argentines as Puerto Stanley). To such an extent that I've just been googling 'Port Stanley' followed by the name of each of the four consituent countries of the UK in a bid to find out where this place was. Only on googling 'Port Stanley Northern Ireland' have I been presented with headlines telling me that she is actually making the capital of the Falklands a city (ETA: one headline, in fact, and guess which OTF 'favourite' newspaper it's from?). It's news to me that it wasn't already, given that it's the capital of a(n admittedly tiny) territory.
                                      The Falklands are about two thirds the size of wales. And 85% as big as northern ireland.
                                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 20-05-2022, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

And yet another yes, my brother texted me to say "will we still go Up The Town?"
                                        I've lived in a city for 25 years and still say "I'm going into town" if I'm going into the city centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                          "city" status is such a pile of utter wank, isn't it? I mean, do most languages even have words with which to make our "town" vs "city" distinction? Its sole practical use seems to be in tedious quiz questions.
                                          We've done this before, and while many other languages to have different words for settlements of different sizes/types, UK English has lapped the field in terms of pretentious nonsense (the centrality of organised religion in that respect is likely not coincidental).

Usage in the US is so confused (and blatantly contradictory from state to state, or even within a state) that it makes me feel like Ton Ton.

Comment

Gratz to Wrecsam though. As the home of many of my forebears, I think it's nice recognition. My dad would have been happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                              The Bishop of Somewhere was on the radio, apparently becoming a city meant that businesses wanted to be there, because a town had less cachet.

I think the answer should be, "If the lack of a piece of paper awarded by Liz is what kept you away, fuck off now."

Comment

The criteria for being a city in the uk begins and ends with "are you on the list of cities"

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I've lived in a city for 25 years and still say "I'm going into town" if I'm going into the city centre.
                                                  This is what pretty much what every iriah city dweller says. (With the exception perhaps of cork people, who are unique and a law unto themselves)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X