Is it OK to like David Frum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having once sat through Charles Murray on a panel (had never heard of him), anyone who kicks his arse like this is OK with me.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/06/charles-murray-book-review.html

I'm pretty sure he's my favourite US conservative, and that's an excellent piece.

Comment

Frum has been increasingly lucid recently. I'm sure that he's being referred to as a Conservative in Name Only by the usual suspects.

The fact that he's Canadian may have something to do with this.

Comment

I think Frum has re-remembered that he's Canadian, so his tolerance of GOP bullshit has gone way down.

Comment

I'm inclined to think he's a careerist who's realised that the conservative nag he's been riding for the past decade and a half is ready for the glue factory.

Comment

Good timing, this. I've been reading him more and more over the past year and he's been talking a lot of sense. I'm glad I'm not the only person who's been second guessing their self.

Comment

I can believe he might have changed for careerist reasons, as Amor says. Barristers argue opposite positions very happily, so maybe he's like them.

But he can write, that's for sure.

Comment

He's not become a liberal, I think he's said his positions are still libertarian-conservative. I think he's had enough.

Bruce Bartlett's written quite a few similar articles. He's still a Republican but he can't take it no mo'.

Comment

Frum refers in his healthcare articles to 1993-4 and some Republican counter proposals. Did they amount to much? I know some utter cunts got elected in 1994, but could a deal have been done before that?

Comment

Working...
                  X