Finishing work before the Xmas break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have all of next week off, then offices open again on January 2, but I'm not going back until January 3 because we're moving on the 2nd. Campus is closed during that time, and of the seven days that we're closed, four are paid holidays. The other three have to be made up by using vacation days, or getting leave without pay.

What really annoys me the most about the closure, though, is that other people on campus, and not just professors, check their email and do work, so there's always a bunch of crap waiting to be done when we get back.

Comment

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: If you have two weeks off over Christmas it means your job isn't very important (I may except teachers here). And os come the Revolution, I'll be after you.
      Ah, well that is OK then. I stopped a week ago, and am not going back for another 17 days.

Comment

The buddhists amongst you (there must be some) will be totally unsurprised to learn that I have spent half of this week off laid up in bed with a cold, which would definitely have kept me off work anyway. I was having such a long break in the first place because I had got into an accumulated holiday 'use it or lose it' scenario, so there was no point in cancelling the holiday and then taking the days as sick leave.

Comment

One thing I was wondering about is how many offices are opening on Monday, especially those that run like Inca's (and mine) and shut down between Christmas and New Year?
          As a rule, our place closes at lunchtime on Christmas Eve. So there was next to no point in opening on Monday, and as an act of goodwill, we were given the whole of the 24th off for free. Someone then decided that working until 5pm on the last working day wasn't in the seasonal spirit, so the close was brought even further forward to 12pm today, and once again the half-day was on the company. Anecdotally I don't think close lunchtime today was that unusual, as I went past the local station at ~1:30pm and the trains back from London seemed unusually full of commuters.

Comment

Man, I just went out with my fellow students on what I am led to believe is Black Friday. We went to a Slug and Lettuce pub where, luckily, we had a private room but I went down to the bar and it was like Dante's seventh circle of hell. There appeared to be very good looking women being chatted up by young men in 'ironic' shit Christmas jumpers while there was an outer ring of intimidating older men with bald heads, tattoos and short-sleeved check shirts.

I genuinely felt concerned for the young ladies in our company but they appeared quite relaxed and, indeed, were off somewhere else that served "Jager bombs". Myself and another similarly aged peer went to a pub where we knew the DJs but that was mental so we repaired to our cosy local.

I also fell foul of my "never enter a bar with bouncers" rule many times

Comment

Janik wrote: The buddhists amongst you (there must be some) will be totally unsurprised to learn that I have spent half of this week off laid up in bed with a cold, which would definitely have kept me off work anyway.
              I've been sick with a cold too (one that had me wrapped in a blanket on the couch with a fever for most of Tuesday), but I still had to work (the not so good side of working from home). It made me miss my company Christmas lunch, too (it's never cool having to miss a free meal).

So boo hoo, Janik, boo hoo.

Comment

I am off to work shortly. Then again on Thursday, and Friday, and Monday. Krismas is long enough without artificially extending it.

Comment

NickSTFU wrote:
                  I’m sort of nervous about tonight though as it’s ‘builder’s Friday’ (do other towns have this?)
                  Oh yes. As Bored said, it’s affectionately known as "Black Friday" up here. It’s basically people who can’t handle their liquor drinking from lunchtime on. Last Friday I saw two guys, rolling about on the floor, knocking lumps out of each other at about five in the evening. The fact that they were on a zebra-crossing didn’t seem to concern them. The bar I went into had a mean vibe to it, with loads of leering, predacious twats giving it the Big I Am to the various boozed-up girls. The pub is normally a salubrious establishment, too, so Ms Brown and I scarpered off home for a good movie and some heavy petting. Well, a good movie, at least. Anyway, judging by the blare of the constant sirens I’m guessing the fuzz had their hands full for most of the evening. Merry Fuqing Christmas, indeed.

Comment

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: If you have two weeks off over Christmas it means your job isn't very important (I may except teachers here). And os come the Revolution, I'll be after you.
                    You mean, you may exclude teachers here. Except is an adverb, the verb is exclude.
                    See, some of us teachers never take a break either...

Comment

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: I finish at 5pm Christmas Eve. I'm back in again at noon Boxing Day. If any of you go to pubs this festive season, do be as much of a cunt as people tend to be. And for fuck's sake don't tell any surly staff to cheer up. Else you're liable to eyeball an ashtray.
                      Finished at 5 today, back at 7 till god knows when, then in tomorrow lunch. And I will agree, if I get one more "Cheer up it's Christmas, nice to have a bit of time off isn't it?" I will be forced to scream "I CLEARLY HAVEN'T GOT TIME OFF AS I'M SERVING YOU, AND YOU ORDERED THE GUINNESS LAST AND DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY READY AND SOME TWAT'S PUT FAIRYFUCKINGTALE OF FUCKING NEW YORK ON AFUCKINGGAIN"

No, wait, I've already done that.

Comment

I'm afraid to say this, but the last work I did was a quick bit of typing on arrival in Paris on the 5th December, and the next work I'll (definitely) be doing will be around the 1st February.

Although technically I worked for about ten minutes a few hours ago, as I'm reviewing a book for WSC and read the introduction of it a little earlier. No rest for the wicked.

Bored of Education wrote: 'ironic' shit Christmas jumpers
                        What is it with those this year? There seems to be something of a fashion for them. I could swear people didn't wear them as often (or indeed at all before the 25th) before.

Comment

So, apart from Sam, who's not back at work?

Comment

I'm not. I'm going back tomorrow, and can therefore feel annoyingly smug.

I guess a lot of teachers won't be going back until Monday.

Comment

Working...
                            X