No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The surname Fry, like Franklin above, derives from free person under feudalism.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

Yes, I like that feature, although I have to remember to check whether they're asking for bordering or just nearby countries. There was one the other day that was driving me potty until I noticed. I've also realised I've not paid enough attention to flags over the years.
      Today's stretches the definition of "border countries" to breaking point. And kudos to anyone who knows the capital without looking it up

Comment

I looked it up.

Comment

I haven’t played for ages, but had a look today. The bonus rounds will make it more fun. But I did not know the capital, and suspect that many won’t.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Now do Agnatic-Cognatic Succession
            I looked into this and encountered a whole load of words that I've never heard of, including:

enfeoff /ɪnˈfiːf,ɪnˈfɛf,ɛnˈfiːf,ɛnˈfɛf/
            verb
            past tense: enfeoffed; past participle: enfeoffed
            (under the feudal system) give (someone) freehold property or land in exchange for their pledged service.
            "he enfeoffed trustees with the lands"

I might enfeoff the children with the garden in exchange for their pledge to tidy their bedroom. Except that they wouldn't stick with such an agreement.

Comment

Maybe leaning into the horrific, but I am astounded by Crash at Crush. It's just so 19th Century USA.

Comment

Even more Texas

Comment

I also thought the Georgian capital was called Tblisi. My theory? Championship Manager pronounced if more or less like that in the late 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                    Maybe leaning into the horrific, but I am astounded by Crash at Crush. It's just so 19th Century USA.
                    Says a man who's never been to a demolition derby....

Comment

To be fair, 40 repeats of Crash at Crush would be needed to match the spectator fatality count of the 1955 Le Mans disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                        To be fair, 40 repeats of Crash at Crush would be needed to match the spectator fatality count of the 1955 Le Mans disaster.

Absolutely. That was absolutely horrific.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          Today's stretches the definition of "border countries" to breaking point. And kudos to anyone who knows the capital without looking it up

I got the place because I guessed Diego Garcia first and the direction and distance gave it, but the capital - no idea. "Border countries..." WTAF. Got the flag but only by elimination.

Like the population and currency additions.

Comment

Something else to know about West, Texas other than the absolutely enormous explosion at a fertilizer plant there a few years ago. And even combining the deaths from the two incident we still don't get close to how many were killed at Le Mans.

Comment

I'd never heard of the Crash at Crush.

That made me think of this.
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

Comment

It's the details that make it. Crush got fired and then hired back the next day.

Comment

'Unexpectedly, the impact caused both boiler engines to explode' ... yeah, who could have predicted that might happen?

Comment

Theo Walcott is the nephew of David Yates. Yates is the director of the last seven films in the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts film series. Walcott occasionally plays football for Southampton

Comment

One of those things that makes you realize how fast time is going as you age: Walcott is already 33, turning 34 in March.

It's possible he has more money than his uncle: e.g. sponsorships since he was 14. His family appeared in one of the Potter films in a cameo.
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-12-2022, 12:37.

Comment

Many years ago I tried to learn this. It didn't work.

Have you been playing Victoria 3 Levin?

Comment

No, I've stopped enjoying the big Paradox games. I'm too interested in the history over the gameplay and the games feel too artificial. I've enjoyed reading about it though, especially stuff about what the designers show about their historical understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Many years ago I tried to learn this. It didn't work.
                                            Bit of a train wreck?

Comment

oh good god. To be honest, it doesn't have the easy identifiable melodies, and the enjoyable swing of rags, so after giving it a go, I just moved onto the next one. Also, it's not obvious from the notes how it is supposed to be performed.

Comment

Two brand name origin stories that have surprised me today: teflon wasn't invented by Tefal as I had assumed, but instead it's Tefal that is named after teflon whose existence precedes that of the company; and Lexmark's name comes from "lexicon" and "marks" (on paper) apparently, and nothing to do with their HQ being in Lexington, KY

Comment

The first is evidence you were deprived of this campaign

Comment

Cracking story here

https://twitter.com/drdatta01/status/1601693312687034368?s=61&t=2P-S6Y5u5XC_tAr00b232A

Comment

Working...
                                                    X