No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was actually surprised when I found out that General Lee was a person and not just a car.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      I was actually surprised when I found out that General Lee was a person and not just a car.

What, just now?

Comment

As it happened, it was a while ago.

I did learn today that Americans don't use the term Breakfast Telly/TV/Television so when I was referring to some of the junk breakfast telly that my wife had been watching and called it breakfast telly, I got mocked. Which is doubly unfair as it wasn't me who was watching the dreadful breakfast telly.

Comment

Was that Today?

Comment

I never understood how people watched it, tbh. It was awful.

Comment

It's worse in this country.

Comment

Oh I meant Dukes of Hazzard.

Comment

Oh, yeah. Just car chases and that. Hardly Columbo.

Comment

And a big old racist flag for racists in most shots.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      The best episodes were the ones where the Sheriff's sidekick was called Anus
                      Well... Enos.

Comment

As I recall it was tedious racist (although not overtly) rubbish. But then again, I wasn't the target audience.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          And a big old racist flag for racists in most shots.
                          you were really losing your edge back then, weren’t you?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Yes, smartass, but there were four of them. I mean, Ringo is obvious...he's the guy who sounds like your atonal mate Steve after a bit too much liquid courage on Karaoke night.
                            You say this, but it has just occurred to me today that I've never ever bothered to wonder which Beatle sang which song. I've always just thought of them as all being by the Beatles collectively. I mean, I'm pretty sure Ringo sang Yellow Submarine, but otherwise I couldn't tell you who's the lead singer on any of the songs, and I listen to Beatles stuff quite regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

you were really losing your edge back then, weren’t you?
                              How do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

You say this, but it has just occurred to me today that I've never ever bothered to wonder which Beatle sang which song. I've always just thought of them as all being by the Beatles collectively. I mean, I'm pretty sure Ringo sang Yellow Submarine, but otherwise I couldn't tell you who's the lead singer on any of the songs, and I listen to Beatles stuff quite regularly.
                                Interesting. For me their voices are very different from each other.

Comment

For me they (well, John and Paul, anyway) are sometimes very different and not so much other times. I think. Couldn't give you examples though.
                                  Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 21-10-2022, 08:08.

Comment

George was the most Scouse sounding, for me at least, though Lennon did an excellent self-parody of the denser accents of the city.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                      For me they (well, John and Paul, anyway) are sometimes very different and not so much other times. I think. Couldn't give you examples though.
                                      Help! is a tough one. Hey Jude is obviously (to me) McCartney, while Hide Your Love Away is Lennon. But I have to listen for it...it's not obvious most times, like it is with The Clash.

Comment

Those of us who are die-hard fans wiil obviously know who's who in every song. I wonder if Lennon's vocals in Help being double-tracked changes things for recognition purposes, though I don't see how.

Comment

See, I'd never have guessed that Taxman was Harrison.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                            See, I'd never have guessed that Taxman was Harrison.
                                            And maybe not that the lead guitar was played by McCartney and not Harrison.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

And maybe not that the lead guitar was played by McCartney and not Harrison.
                                              <blinks>

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                As it happened, it was a while ago.

I did learn today that Americans don't use the term Breakfast Telly/TV/Television so when I was referring to some of the junk breakfast telly that my wife had been watching and called it breakfast telly, I got mocked. Which is doubly unfair as it wasn't me who was watching the dreadful breakfast telly.
                                                What do they call it then?

Comment

They call it the "morning shows" or some such. Hence, I think, the Apple TV "The Morning Show" show.

Comment

My 11 y/old daughter told me that cats have the equivalent of left- and right-handedness, and further that it tends strongly to be one for male cats and the other for female. We have one of each, so I will be monitoring them by way of sample check.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X