No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And "dark" complexion, as is obvious from the photo you posted.

Comment

I wonder if that was a factor in Chico's stage persona being Italian and Harpo not speaking? They were outside the mainstream definition of whiteness (which was essentially WASP) in their prime years. See also Sinatra being called a "guinea" as a kid.

Comment

The Wiki is interesting on the evolution of those personae, including Groucho abandoning his original German character in reaction to WWI hysteria and the role of their uncle Al Shean (of Gallagher and Shean).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx_Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          I wonder if that was a factor in Chico's stage persona being Italian and Harpo not speaking? They were outside the mainstream definition of whiteness (which was essentially WASP) in their prime years.
          But so were a vast number of American entertainers. Entertainment was one of the few doors you could get through if you weren't WASP.

Comment

That's true, though it was a.so the case that it was also more or less impossible for a performer to make it big without distorting that identity in some way, be it Groucho's riffing on stereotypes or the scores of performers whose names and identities were "whitened".

Comment

The term (and the existence of) psychopomps.

Which turn out to be spirits that guide the recently deceased to the afterlife.

I learned this after a friend said something like "I never would have guessed Paddington Bear would become this year's psychopomp" after the memes with him holding Coolio's hand.

Comment

"Pretty good" is a very odd description for a mouth! What does it even mean? Not lopsided or permanently drooling?

TBF, he absolutely nailed his face shape and forehead.

Scope for an OTF thread, I reckon.

Comment

I believe that at the time "mouth" for this purpose really meant "condition of teeth and gums"

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    I believe that at the time "mouth" for this purpose really meant "condition of teeth and gums"

Ah, OK. That kid of makes sense.

Comment

Saudi Arabia has winter sports, of a sort:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/63131479

Comment

A number of recent posts have contained the term "gravy train," a phrase I know the meaning of but not the origin. So:

Easy money; the good life, obtained with little effort. This American slang term became current during the financial boom of the 1920s. It originated in railroad slang, where “gravy train” meant a run on which there was good pay and little work. (Gravy itself became slang for easy money, or an illicit profit obtained through graft, in the early 1900s. )

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

But so were a vast number of American entertainers. Entertainment was one of the few doors you could get through if you weren't WASP.
                          As long as it wasn't the front door where the white folks making up the audience might come into contact with you.

Comment

Roman baths typically had three main pools, to be taken in order - the frigidarium or cold pool, the tepidarium or slightly warm pool, and the calderum or hot tub. That pretty much is the same today in spa type settings, in my limited experience of those, but I do love the word "tepidarium".

Comment

Somehow I've spent the last 30 years or so that I've been into music failing to realise that the Clash's singer Joe Strummer did not sing one of the Clash's biggest songs – indeed, courtesy of an advertising-driven 1991 reissue, their only Number One or for that matter Top Ten single – Should I Stay Or Should I Go. The vocals on it are handled by Mick Jones.

Comment

Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Diana were both direct descendents of Mary Boleyn, sister of Anne. Diana's two sons therefore have two direct lines of descent to Boleyn.

Of course this illustrates the fact that the aristocracy is a small club.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-10-2022, 00:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Diana were both direct descendents of Mary Boleyn, sister of Anne. Diana's two sons therefore have two direct lines of descent to Boleyn.

Of course this illustrates the fact that the aristocracy is a small club.
                                  There was one along similar lines that came up quite recently (before the queen died but in the last few months) on Rex Factor, which is that because the Spencers originated from a couple of illegitimate sons of Charles II, when William becomes king (assuming of course that he does) he'll be the first English monarch descended from Charles II (and the first since Queen Anne to be definitely descended from Charles I – though the 'definitely' is because it's possible QEII was as well because one of her ancestors was Elizabeth Lyon, who was officially the daughter of the 2nd Earl of Chesterfield but might actually have been the daughter of James II before he became king).
                                  Last edited by Sam; 06-10-2022, 05:25.

Comment

There's at least one more way to solve "solitaire" in addition to the way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                      Roman baths typically had three main pools, to be taken in order - the frigidarium or cold pool, the tepidarium or slightly warm pool, and the calderum or hot tub. That pretty much is the same today in spa type settings, in my limited experience of those, but I do love the word "tepidarium".
                                      Roman bathing habits seemed to rival the Tudors for repeat appearances on the syllabus during my school years. Instant recognition of a strigil has definitely been a more significant advantage in life than a grasp of the broad sweep of European and World history might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                        Somehow I've spent the last 30 years or so that I've been into music failing to realise that the Clash's singer Joe Strummer did not sing one of the Clash's biggest songs – indeed, courtesy of an advertising-driven 1991 reissue, their only Number One or for that matter Top Ten single – Should I Stay Or Should I Go. The vocals on it are handled by Mick Jones.
                                        The video for the single does give the game away somewhat, but if you've never seen it then that's no help, admittedly. Jones also took advantage of the situation by getting a song by his then band BAD II on the b-side (or possibly, officially the double a-side) of the re-issue

Comment

Train In Vain is another one, apparently inspired by Jones' break-up with Viv Albertine.

Comment

There was a torture device called Skeffington's daughter; I'm curious as to why such devices were gendered that way.

Comment

There are loads of Clash songs sung by Mick Jones.
                                              Lost in the Supermarket and Stay Free would be two faves that spring to mind

Comment

More of an "interesting thing I've known a few times but don't hold clearly in memory":

https://twitter.com/keeltyc/status/1577844622642012162?s=20&t=wFE2-g2pCdwlwpQqvZdQ9w

Comment

I'm reluctant to hold people out for ridicule, but in I'm bewildered at this Clash revelation. Joe and Mick sound as different as Barry White and Jimmy Sommerville. Not like, say, Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding.

Comment

I did not know that about the Boston Tea Party. Fascinating.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X