No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That there is a pasta dish called spaghetti all'assassina and more generally that you can cook pasta like risotto. Thanks to EIM , I am now going to have to spend a week researching and cooking these types of dishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
      That there is a pasta dish called spaghetti all'assassina and more generally that you can cook pasta like risotto. Thanks to EIM , I am now going to have to spend a week researching and cooking these types of dishes.
      This is the best recipe for it I've found.

https://youtu.be/2XNNJQmoUIc

Comment

Tomato puree being passata, and tomato paste being tomato puree span my head a bit, mind.

Comment

I don't know if it's interesting, but I just learned that other towns than LA — specifically Palm Springs and St. Louis among presumably others — have a walk of fame. I suppose it's not much different than blue plaques, just all in one place, but it comes off as a bit desperate.

Comment

St Louis I can see, but Palm Springs...?

Comment

Birmingham has one too
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Walk_of_Stars

Comment

Ooo! Please tell me Ace Kefford is on it.

Edit: The Move are so that's close enough I guess.
                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 12-09-2022, 18:58.

Comment

And Rotterdam. I remember Golden Earring, Candy Dulfer and Bryan Ferry having their handprints immortalised there, among others.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    St Louis I can see, but Palm Springs...?
                    Palm Springs is where loads of Hollywood celebs decamped to. Plus Sonny Bono was mayor.

The story I heard was that, in the earlier days of Hollywood, the Hollywood reporters saw what everyone was up to in greater LA, but never bothered to come out to the desert. Which meant that everyone could get up to all kinds of no good. Meanwhile, it's only a couple of fairly easy hours of driving between the two, and hollywood contracts apparently stated that actors had to be within two hours so they were available for call backs if a studio wanted to do a reshoot.

Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bob Hope, Kirk Douglas, Sammy Davis, Cary Grant and others had houses there.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      Palm Springs is where loads of Hollywood celebs decamped to. Plus Sonny Bono was mayor.
                      Yeah I know, but I — clearly in error — figured that "walks of fame" were related to where you were from, or where you became famous, rather than where you went to die.

Comment

Ah. I should have assumed you knew rather than mansplained.

I think the explanation for it is that when your town's existence is basically predicated on tourism, you try and create whatever hype you can. In Palm Springs in the 90s when the town was basically dying, I think all it had was harking back to the golden age reminding people of faded glamour, which is why they created their walk of fame.

Comment

Makes a kind of sense I'spose. There are also a fair number of Snowbirds (or Rainbirds) from up here who have second homes in Palm Springs, my ex-BiL for one, and may want to gawp at the history inherent in the place.

Comment

It's amazing how full of old Canadians the region gets in winter. Some time in early January after they've all celebrated Christmas with family and recovered enough energy to drive they begin to arrive. By the beginning of February it's absolutely packed. Most of them are in the surrounding towns - Palm Desert, Indian Wells, La Quinta and so on - rather than Palm Springs itself which has revived pretty dramatically and is actually a fairly cool place with a big gay scene because everyone loves the mid-century architecture and so on, and doesn't have the gated community golf course living stuff that lots of the 80 year old snowbirds seem to find appealing.

Comment

The date of departure is a hot topic amongst the snowbird set. My in-laws get their place on Jan 1 this year, so they have it timed so they leave on the 29th and arrive just as the door code changes and not a moment later. Of course, they're pissing and moaning about the price of 'New Years' hotel rooms on the way down....

My grandparents apparently used to leave promptly on November 1. The year my sister was born, they had to wait until the 14th and my father never heard the end of it. Apparently they came to the hospital, took one quick look at her, jumped in the car and drove straight down to Clearwater.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                It's amazing how full of old Canadians the region gets in winter. Some time in early January after they've all celebrated Christmas with family and recovered enough energy to drive they begin to arrive. By the beginning of February it's absolutely packed. Most of them are in the surrounding towns - Palm Desert, Indian Wells, La Quinta and so on - rather than Palm Springs itself which has revived pretty dramatically and is actually a fairly cool place with a big gay scene because everyone loves the mid-century architecture and so on, and doesn't have the gated community golf course living stuff that lots of the 80 year old snowbirds seem to find appealing.
                                Speaking of Canadians in Palm Springs... Douglas Coupland was living there when he wrote Generation X.

Comment

I wonder if he's on the Walk of Fame?

Comment

Appears not

https://www.palmsprings.com/walk-of-stars/

Quite a list

Howard Keel, Liberace, Elizabeth Taylor, Elvis Presley, George Montgomery, Dinah Shore, Sonny Bono, Merv Griffin, Rich Little, Presidents Ronald Reagan, General George Patton and Gerald Ford as well as hundreds more have also joined the long list of celebrities who have been honored for eternity on the Palm Springs Walk of Stars!

Comment

Eternity feels optimistic for a sidewalk

Comment

It ain't like the denizens of Palm Springs are going to last long enough to prove them wrong

Comment

I'm now going to have hours of fun zooming in on Google Maps to the UK's various motorway intersections to see how else they do it. It will take me a while, I think, to work out why the M11/M25 interchange doesn't qualify as "4-stacked".

Edit: that was in response to Sporting's post near the end of the previous page. For the 976th time, I've been caught out by the fucking software that opens a thread at the last page you looked at, not at the current edge of the dicussion.
                                          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 13-09-2022, 08:29.

Comment

It's the best thing about this board, I reckon, that it takes you to the right place, not the end of the thread.

I'm struggling to properly grasp the stack/stacked interchange thing, though.

Comment

I'm no expert on stacked motorways either; I just googled.

Comment

Yeah I tried reading the wiki page you linked to (thanks) and my eyes glazed over.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                  Edit: that was in response to Sporting's post near the end of the previous page. For the 976th time, I've been caught out by the fucking software that opens a thread at the last page you looked at, not at the current edge of the dicussion.
                                                  If you click on the links near the orange arrow, you're taken to the last page you looked at. If you click on the fast-forward button near the green arrow, you're taken to the last post of the thread.

forumhelp.png

Comment

Awesome, thanks v much Sheep!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X