An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    The German sources indicate that the term was already being used for "Townies" when Goetze adopted it, and that its origins were vague, but not thought to be based on a particular Bible verse.

It seems most likely that one or more students adopted "Philistine" as a synonym for "baddie" (as it is in the Bible) and that it just stuck.
    Which Goetze?

This one

or this one

Comment

Comment

He looks like he's just about to undo his doublet to show you he's got a chihuahua inside. Or a load of fake Rolexes.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          What was bad about the Philistine army?
          I didn't write the story. The authors were definitely biased

Comment

He's gone for the central parting to stop people asking him which side.

Comment

I just learned that there is a county in Norway called Finnmark, which is not an unimaginative fictional name combing Finland and Denmark: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnmark

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                Ho ho, Auntie Jean...
                Woomerang boomerang!

Comment

Anglesey Abbey is in Cambridgeshire

Comment

There are a few of those, aren’t there? Leeds Castle, etc.

Comment

Leeds Castle is in - or at least next to - Leeds, though., Just not the big Leeds you've all heard of.

(As it goes, there has been a castle there since before big Leeds was Leeds.)
                      Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 30-05-2023, 13:14.

Comment

That I must have dermatillomania (that there was a word for it, rather than learning that I have it).

Comment

That's a cruel condition and you have my sympathies. I have sometimes made my bald patch sore by constantly rubbing it but am able to stop and not resume it later.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-05-2023, 00:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            Anglesey Abbey is in Cambridgeshire
                            Indeed it is. Quite near Cambridge, very popular with locals here. The other "wrong" thing about its name is that it's not an abbey.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                              That I must have dermatillomania (that there was a word for it, rather than learning that I have it).
                              Sorry to hear that and hope you’re able to keep it manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                I just learned that there is a county in Norway called Finnmark, which is not an unimaginative fictional name combing Finland and Denmark: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnmark
                                Been there. Lots of visible military presence around. Well, it's a land border between NATO and Russia, so, you know...

Comment

I had a Finnish friend who did his military service there.

I imagine that it is even more militarised now.

Comment

https://twitter.com/LegoRacers2/status/1663637241997197312?s=20

More in the thread below

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      I had a Finnish friend who did his military service there.
                                      In Norway?

Comment

That to drain someone of blood is to exsanguinate them. Thanks gjw100.

Comment

One of my favourite lines in Firefly is based on that.

Zoe: You sanguine about the kind of reception we’re apt to receive on an Alliance ship, Cap’n?
                                          Mal: Absolutely. What’s “sanguine” mean?
                                          Zoe: “Sanguine”. Hopeful. Plus, point of interest? it also means “bloody”.
                                          Mal: Well, that pretty much covers all the options, don’t it?​

Comment

Anthony Head (bloke from the 80s Gold Blend TV ads, Buffy, Little Britain) and Murray Head (the One Night In Bangkok hitmaker) are brothers.

If I knew that before today, I'd successfully forgotten it.

Comment

On a similar tack, curiosity made me download the Chess OST to see if the rest of the music is any good. It is indeed. Much of it sounds 'musical theater style' rather than pop songish, but it's quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                One of my favourite lines in Firefly is based on that.
                                                Always love a Firefly quote

Comment

Is a reboot happening, or just rumours?

Comment

Chess really deserves another shot on Broadway, but has always been a rights nightmare for reasons I have forgotten

It also may not be mainstream enough for the current clientele, unless they got a "name" lead.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X