An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    The Welsh word for cottage is bwthyn, which is very similar to the word bothy.
    The irish word for cottage is Bothán to complete the triangle.

Comment

Very familiar with the "hamburger button" concept, but had never before heard the name

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

It is a start, but I was hoping for someone younger...
        So....anyone.

Comment

Anyway, we had a client who had a hamburger nav on their site. I don't remember who...so I knew this for about 6 months and then never knew it again. It's not common parlance.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Very familiar with the "hamburger button" concept, but had never before heard the name
            Right - I was more appalled by the name. It just looked like it indicated the contents, which is what it is.

It was in IT's instructions for the new way they have made 2-factor authentication even more annoying. Apparently my face isn't adequate security to log in to my bloody email.

Comment

Yeah it doesn't look anything whatsoever like a burger.

Comment

It's just force of habit with you now, isn't it?

Comment

Oh man, this could be fun. We could get into the entire art movement dealing with signs, symbols and the taken-as-read assumptions that go into lots of visual representations... and how arbitrary and dissociated from what they allude to they sometimes are. Think Jasper John’s Flag, the “green man” on a pelican crossing (green yes, looks nothing like any man I’ve ever met) or my personal favourite, Magritte’s The Treachery of Images:

Last edited by Janik; 22-02-2023, 11:06.

Comment

I learned tonight at dinner that kids of a certain age thought Mick Jagger's name was McJagger. One of them apparently said 'what's McJagger's first name?' and they googled it. You can practically hear the "ooooohhhh!" going around the room.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      I learned tonight at dinner that kids of a certain age thought Mick Jagger's name was McJagger. One of them apparently said 'what's McJagger's first name?' and they googled it. You can practically hear the "ooooohhhh!" going around the room.
                      That will be a Superfly effect, won't it.

Comment

I think that previously (18th-19th century ish) the pineapple was a sign of wealth.

As for the other meaning, Mrs. S made a pineapple needlepoint cushion cover which sometimes sits on the chair in the front porch. I'll have to impress on her how important it is to display it in the correct manner.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

The irish word for cottage is Bothán to complete the triangle.
                          Many Bothans died to bring us this information,

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                            Yeah it doesn't look anything whatsoever like a burger.
                            It's just meat eaters trying to impose their hateful ideology on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              It's just force of habit with you now, isn't it?
                              I thought he was talking about caja-dglh's face...

Comment

That will be a Superfly effect, won't it.
                                Do you mean Superbad (as in McLovin)?

Comment

On attempting to google why dglh thinks the kids of today might be familiar with Super Fly, I have just learnt there's a remake of it entitled Superfly from 2018. The Wikipedia doesn't mention anyone called Jagger or McJagger, though.

Comment

I've spent my whole life assuming the theme from Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Journey of the Sorcerer) was an original composition. I found out yesterday it's an instrumental by [the] Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                      Oh man, this could be fun. We could get into the entire art movement dealing with signs, symbols and the taken-as-read assumptions that go into lots of visual representations... and how arbitrary and dissociated from what they allude to they sometimes are. Think Jasper John’s Flag, the “green man” on a pelican crossing (green yes, looks nothing like any man I’ve ever met) or my personal favourite, Magritte’s The Treachery of Images:
                                      Now that would be proper interesting.

I love Magritte, me. And all his word stuff is great.

91938.jpg?sha=e78eb62f42b08406.jpg
                                      Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 22-02-2023, 08:45.

Comment

I’m equally mystified as to what Super Fly might have to do with the “McJagger” error.

Comment

Linda Rondstadt’s paternal grandfather was a wagon builder who produced six horse-drawn streetcars for the city of Tucson in 1903-4, but more significant was her maternal grandfather, a prolific inventor and holder of nearly 700 patents. These included an early form of the electric toaster, many refrigerator devices, the grease gun, the first electric stove, and an early form of the microwave oven. His flexible rubber ice cube tray earned him millions of dollars in royalties.

All in her Wiki along with a sadder fact I also didn’t know; she’s been unable to sing since 2011.

Comment

Alright OTF - I can't be the only one to have learned of a burger icon today / recently / never before?
                                            menus.png

Comment

When anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce dined with some Black people he had screens erected so he didn't have to look at them

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Now that would be proper interesting.

I love Magritte, me. And all his word stuff is great.

91938.jpg?sha=e78eb62f42b08406.jpg
                                                Heartily recommend The Magritte Museum in Brussels for those that haven't been

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                  When anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce dined with some Black people he had screens erected so he didn't have to look at them
                                                  Crikey. Where did you learn that, Nef?

Comment

It was in a review of Nigel Biggar's new book, as I saw it too, but I can't remember where I saw it. I thought it was Kenan Malik's review in the Guardian, but I've just skimmed through that again and not seen it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X