No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Knowing that you can almost feel it. Kinda like The Drifters recording Under the Boardwalk the day after one of their members died.

Comment

The Warmth Of The Sun by the Beach Boys was written that day and also has that feel.

Comment

Indeed, I'd forgotten that. Arguably the best song Mike Love was involved in writing.

Comment

The Welsh word for cottage is bwthyn, which is very similar to the word bothy.

Comment

Michael Keane, who was in Spinal Tap and also played Chuck in Better Call Saul, was in the baroque pop group Left Banke. Steven Tyler did backing vocals on two tracks on Left Banke's second album.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              The Welsh word for cottage is bwthyn, which is very similar to the word bothy.
              I don’t know either word.

Comment

A bothy is a basic shelter, usually left unlocked and available for anyone to use free of charge. It was also a term for basic accommodation, usually for gardeners or other workers on an estate. Bothies are found in remote mountainous areas of Scotland, Northern England, Ulster and Wales.

Comment

Like a cabin, then.

Comment

Yes, though I think of them as being virtually always made of stone, whereas cabins are generally made of wood.

There is a quite developed code around their use in Scotland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bothy

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      Like a cabin, then.

Pretty much. The facilities provided vary from limited to extremely basic.

The one I slept in when I was in the Scottish Highlands had walls and a roof but that was about it. Still very welcome though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        The one I slept in when I was in the Scottish Highlands had walls and a roof but that was about it. Still very welcome though.
                        Walls and a roof? You were lucky...

Comment

Another JFK: 22 Nov 63 was Billie Jean King's 20th birthday.

Comment

That Brendan Grace originally recorded the Combine Harvester Song, a year before The Wurzels.

Comment

The Theme From The Deer Hunter, or Cavatina, was originally written for another, earlier film, The Walking Stick.

Comment

You can see the Humber Bridge from Sheffield

https://twitter.com/Pott_Shrigley_/status/1626194703338143747

Comment

And the comments suggest that from the same spot you can also see both York Minster and Lincoln Cathedral on a clear day. I had no idea.

Comment

At first, I read that as "You can see the Humber Bridge in Seinfeld." Very disorienting.

Comment

That looks a lot like the view in the opening sequence of The Full Monty.

Comment

Roman Polanski spent part of his childhood in the Krakow Ghetto that so memorably featured in Schindler's List.

Actually, I didn't realise that his birth name was Raymond Liebling, but that's by the by.

Comment

He did. And — IIRC — while hiding on the streets he watched his father being led to the camps with their neighbours. By his account his father saw him and signaled to stay out of sight. That was their last communication.

Comment

Alright OTF - I can't be the only one to have learned of a burger icon today / recently / never before?

Comment

Qué?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                Qué?
                                                It is a start, but I was hoping for someone younger...

Comment

I think you probably are.

An interesting thing I learned yesterday... here they frequently tell of how the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality and are very proud of their pineapple fountain. I've known this for a little while.

I was told that an upside down pineapple is a rather different symbol of hospitality. It is, according to the source/urban myth, a statement that the owners are open to swinging. If you see an upside down pineapple print pillow on someone's porch, that may be an invitation.

Comment

Here is a summary for (hopefully) everyone - the hamburger button

Comment

Working...
                                                    X