No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That video of george michael just made think, what if you gathered all the singers from the world of popular music in 1988 ih one place and told them "you are all delighted with yourself, but In 35 years time, the only one of you that isn't going to look like a complete twat is george michael in the faith video."?

Comment

Having just watched Bridesmaids I thence discovered that Maya Rudolph's mum is Minnie Riperton.

Comment

Not only that:

Her paternal grandfather was Sidney Rudolph, a philanthropist who once owned all of the Wendy's and Rudy's restaurants in Miami-Dade County, Florida.[7] Her great-grandfather* was born in Vilnius, Lithuania, changed his surname from "Rudashevsky" to "Rudolph", and was one of the founding members of Congregation Beth Shalom, a Conservative Jewish synagogue in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

*Julius Abraham Rudolph

1882–1940

BIRTH 7 MAY 1882 • Vilna, Vilniaus, Lithuania

DEATH 21 APR 1940 • Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA, USA

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-01-2023, 00:25.

Comment

Christiane Kubrick, the widow of Stanley Kubrick, is still alive and working at 90 years old.

She offers regular weekend art classes from their home, Childwickbury Manor in Hertfordshire

Painting Courses | christianekubrick

Her acting career effectively started and ended with just one scene in one movie but it was the most emotional in Kubrick's whole career

Paths of Glory (1957) - ending scene [HD] - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
            The rapidity of events in the final Anglo-Saxon year:

https://twitter.com/Longshanks1307/status/1611308541918445574
            Part of that is precisely because everyone in positions of power knew things were going to go shit-shaped as soon as Edward the Confessor died, hence Harold's rush to be crowned. But yes, the whole speed at which things changed at a couple of points in 1066 is remarkable. Harold fought the Battle of Stamford Bridge on 25 September and then had to absolutely pelt it south with his whole army when news reached him of William landing on the south coast. The Battle of Hastings was fought, like, two and a half weeks later, and that was after Harold had spent a week in London. The army were marching 43 km a day.

Comment

Seth Boyden, who developed and perfected the manufacture of patent leather in 1818, did not patent his process.
              (Earlier, less successful British inventors did receive patents for their flawed processes, hence the name).

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                Christiane Kubrick, the widow of Stanley Kubrick, is still alive and working at 90 years old.

She offers regular weekend art classes from their home, Childwickbury Manor in Hertfordshire

Painting Courses | christianekubrick

Her acting career effectively started and ended with just one scene in one movie but it was the most emotional in Kubrick's whole career

Paths of Glory (1957) - ending scene [HD] - YouTube
                Wasn't she a member of the Hitler Youth as a child?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Wasn't she a member of the Hitler Youth as a child?
                  would have been the BdM

Comment

She looks to have joined under some level of duress at the age of nine in 1941.

She is the niece of Veit Harlan, the director of Jud Süß and the only filmmaker to be charged with war crimes (he was acquitted) and has spoken of being ashamed to have come from a family of murderers.
                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 11-01-2023, 22:50.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      She looks to have joined under some level of duress at the age of nine in 1941.

She is the niece of Veit Harlan, the director of Jud Süß and the only filmmaker to be charged with war crimes (he was acquitted) and has spoken of being ashamed to have come from a family of murderers.
                      Quite so. I'm dredging up a vague memory from half a century ago

Comment

Thanks Colchestersid, I never knew the young German woman singing at the end of PoG was Kubrick's wife!

And for once I'm actually pleased with the board software that takes you to the last page you visited on here, as it means I caught Levin's post from a few pages ago with Mark Lamarr's explanation of the "My Fair Lady" title.

Comment

This may not quite fit in this thread but I found it fascinating, Korea has two different ways of renting, one of which involves giving your landlord a massive interest free loan.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyLeeZhang/status/1613977673067540480?t=n74xPP93ctrd0DOpApXGcA&s=19

Comment

That is indeed very strange

Comment

The character of Fry in Futurama was given the first name Philip in honour of the late Phil Hartmann.
                              Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 15-01-2023, 10:29.

Comment

In the song 'Farewell-So Long-Good-bye', Bill Haley says they are "three little words" but they are actually four.

Comment

But....but.....goodbye is one word.

Comment

So Long isn't.

Comment

Ohhhh. Right you are. Mind was playing tricks on me there.

Comment

I was chatting today with a work colleague who’s just returned after spending Christmas and New Year in the UK. Her father’s family are from Cornwall and part of the trip was visiting Rough Tor, where his ashes were scattered. Which brings us to my AITIDKUT fact.

Apparently locals pronounce Rough Tor the way Australians pronounce “router”, with the OU as in “how” rather than “sew” or “do”.

Comment

Yeardley Smith - the voice of Lisa Simpson - played the permanently annoyed Marlene in the sitcom Dharma & Greg, one of my favourite supporting characters in a sitcom.

Comment

Martin McDonagh, of the Banshees of Insheerin and various surreal plays, is the other half of Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Comment

The CEO of fashionable now sliding into ubiquity pizza chain Franco Manca is the same man who was CEO of Pizza Express as they went to being common on the high street in the 90s.

I got that but from this article about the design of Pizza Express.

The intro suggests that we don't love mid level chains, that the British distrust success. But as someone who adored the original Honest Burger I've always thought it was a demonstration that good food requires high standards and you can't keep those standards up when spread over a dozen plus locations.

Anyway, the CEO thing was a real surprise.

Comment

I’m only a short way into the article, and it seems interesting. But in the opening where they compare Pizza Express and Wagamama to Olive Garden and Dairy Queen, I think they’re definitely off. Olive Garden and Dairy Queen are definitely not mid-level. Olive Garden might be ersatz-real restaurant, but it’s an object of almost universal derision. Dairy Queen is its own category (I enjoy their ice cream treats, but their hot food is indistinguishable from a million other fast food places). I’m not even sure we have national chain equivalents of Wagamama here. The sit down chains, the Applebees and Cracker Barrels and Golden Corrals and Cheesecake Factorys and Dennys and Olive Gardens have rarely had the credibility of Pizza Express. Prince Andrew wouldn’t be seen dead in any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                  I know a real life child called Max Factor. Or I did. I guess it was a few years ago. He's probably a young adult by now.
                                                  I taught a young boy called Armani a few years ago. Didn’t think anything of it. His sister Chanel later came to the school. The twins Paco and Rabbane then joined us a couple of years later.

I’m not joking.

Comment

SB is spot on, and I think a large part of that is that the most common setting for a US chain of that type is plopped down in the middle of a parking lot in a suburban/exurban shopping centre.

We don't have anything like Nando's, either (though we now have a handful of Nando's in somewhat random locations).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X