No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a Dubois Street in Kraków, but it commemorates this victim of Auschwitz rather than WEB

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Dubois

Comment

https://www.twitter.com/EllenBarryNYT/status/1607390326347505664

Father Louis gigante was always full of surprises

Comment

Look who his brother was. Being a latter day Bishop Len Brennan was probably the least of his crimes

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Yes she and her friend rented as lodgers with Emily Bishop IIRC, after Ernie was shot. Not sure why the friend left.
          Susie?

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
            Look who his brother was. Being a latter day Bishop Len Brennan was probably the least of his crimes
            He was a considerably more vivid figure than his brother ever was. He cut quite the dash. It's almost as though his brother subcontracted all the attention seeking bragadoccio to him, while he spent 30 years pretending to piss on his own dressing gown, in the hope that no one would notice that he was the most powerful gangster in America

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              That carp is the go-to choice for Poles at Christmas. And that this year prices have soared.

I'm pretty sure I've never eaten carp. Is it yummy?
              Apparently it tastes quite muddy. And I got this from my then flatmate who spent about 6 hours preparing the traditional Polish Christmas eve dinner. You cook the carp because you have to, not because you want to.

Comment

JFK might have avoided the second, fatal, bullet if he hadn't been wearing a truss for his bad back.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Apparently it tastes quite muddy. And I got this from my then flatmate who spent about 6 hours preparing the traditional Polish Christmas eve dinner. You cook the carp because you have to, not because you want to.
                  Around here people substitute salmon for carp. If imported carp are available, probably not, they'd be very expensive and most likely inedible. Could nick a Koi or two from someone's pond I s'pose.

Comment

We never did carp.

My mother had a rather low opinion of traditional Polish cuisine.

Comment

They do some very nice soups.

Comment

The only thing I know about carp is that my dad called them 'garbage fish' my whole life. "They'll even eat cigarette butts." I've avoided eating them.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Susie?
                          Suzie Birchall. The more abrasive of the pair if memory serves.

Comment

I’ve now discovered something I Didn’t Know Until Today about Cheryl Murray who played Suzie Birchill: as well as appearing in 150 episodes up to 1983, she also featured in the video for bigot Morrissey’s Every Day Is Like Sunday as “young fan”. She was 35 or 36 at the time.

Comment

Drayton Green is the least used tube station in London, with an average of around 30 passengers a day getting on and off there.

Comment

The Earth orbits the sun at a speed which is the equivalent of its own diameter every 7 minutes. If a car was moving at a speed of its own length every 7 minutes you'd probably say its movement was imperceptible. In the Earth's case however this is actually around 70,000 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Drayton Green is the least used tube station in London, with an average of around 30 passengers a day getting on and off there.

That's not a Tube station, Sporting.

Comment

Intrigued as to which Tube station is the least used, a quick Google suggests that the answer is Roding Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

That's not a Tube station, Sporting.
                                      Ah thanks. Least used station then.

Comment

Comment

I assume trains only stop there on request or at commuter times?

Comment

Since 2008, no ticket machines are available at the station, travelling is only possible using contactless payment cards, such as those of most UK banks or the Oyster card, or using pre-paid tickets and passes.Service

All services at Drayton Green are operated by Great Western Railway using Class 165 DMUs.

The station is served by two trains per day between Greenford and West Ealing on weekdays and Saturdays only. The first train of the day towards Greenford and the last train of the day from Greenford are extended to start and finish at London Paddington.

There is no Sunday service at the station.

Comment

Pete Best's first name is Randolph.

Comment

In the Marx Brothers " a Night at the Opera" the actress who played the manicurist in the stateroom scene is unknown. This is particularly unusual as she had two lines, so would've been a member of the Screen Actors Guild. Years of searching has drawn a blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

A couple of my friends were telling me that they went to a Georgian restaurant in London a few months ago. After too much red wine, or possibly beer, one of my chums was unable to operate his legs so the restaurant manager helped my other mate drag him to his flat around the corner, which was very civil of him I thought.

I went on Google Maps to see exactly how far they had to stumble, ended up checking the restaurant's memo and now really fancy giving Georgian grub a whirl.
                                                  Whereabouts is this restaurant?
                                                  We are/were part of four couples who pre lockdown had decided to dine A-Z style through the Alphabet in London. I think we’re all just about ready to start again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post

Whereabouts is this restaurant?
                                                    We are/were part of four couples who pre lockdown had decided to dine A-Z style through the Alphabet in London. I think we’re all just about ready to start again.

Heh!

Here you go: https://geamos.co.uk/

If you're a Beatles fan...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X