An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    More people have died from falling or jumping from the monument to the great fire of London (8) than the official death toll of the fire itself (6)
    The toll from the fire is pretty remarkable.

Comment

Isn't it likely that a number of deaths would have been unrecorded? I'm not sure record keeping was very comprehensive in 1666.

Comment

Very much so

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
          even Simon Cowell and Rihanna had been unable to persuade the government to change its policy.
          What, you're saying that Rihanna tried to stop folk from standing under her beach umbrella?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            Isn't it likely that a number of deaths would have been unrecorded? I'm not sure record keeping was very comprehensive in 1666.
            Absolutely, hence the use of official in the original post

Comment

Perhaps a loose definition of "interesting", but we are now as chronologically distant from the release of Band Aid 2 as that event in turn was from the Suez Crisis.

Comment

We're further from Italia 90 than that was from Pele's World Cup debut, or the Munich disaster.

Comment

Don't we have a thread for that sort of thing?

Comment

That carp is the go-to choice for Poles at Christmas. And that this year prices have soared.

I'm pretty sure I've never eaten carp. Is it yummy?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      That carp is the go-to choice for Poles at Christmas. And that this year prices have soared.

I'm pretty sure I've never eaten carp. Is it yummy?
                      I think in Czechia too. Carp seems to have loads of bones. It looks like a right faff to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Carp seems to have loads of bones. It looks like a right faff to eat
                        I know you don't indulge, but this has always been a problem for me. Love the fish, get pissed off by the bones.

Comment

I'm reasonably adept with fish on the bone but have found that the the faff outweighs the enjoyment when trying carp as a local delicacy in Poland.

Carp fishing is a whole subculture of its own in the UK, going by magazine racks, but presumably the fish are returned to the water.

There is a strange satisfaction in reducing a whole smaller fish to a cartoon like skeleton, which may be something to do with early exposure to those Charley Says safety adverts.

Comment

My son asked me the other day why bins in cartoons always have a fish skeleton in them given that real bins these days hardly ever do. I was quite stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                              My son asked me the other day why bins in cartoons always have a fish skeleton in them given that real bins these days hardly ever do. I was quite stumped.
                              It's like the memento mori in a Tudor portrait, a coded warning not to play with matches or empty the chip pan over your head.

Comment

We kept passing places called Bonefish Grill in the US last time. Given that bones are the most misery-inducing part of fish consumption, it seemed like a stupid name choice.

Comment

Do you think that they settled on Bonefish Grill after considering and ruling out Choke Stop and Heimlich's Place?

Comment

Bonefish are prized by Floridian sports fishermen as being a particularly challenging and spirited species, and the chain was started there.

It may be relevant that the restaurants don't appear to serve bonefish.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Bonefish are prized by Floridian sports fishermen as being a particularly challenging and spirited species, and the chain was started there.

It may be relevant that the restaurants don't appear to serve bonefish.

Sounds like a prime candidate for a rebrand.

Comment

How about "Cartilaginous Fish Grill"? No bones at all.

Comment

Other ill-chosen restaurant names? Back when I lived in London, we occasionally drove past a cheap restaurant - south east Asian cuisine I think - on the A10 just north of Stamford Hill whose owners had bewilderingly named it "Too Sweet".

Comment

https://twitter.com/lamarr_mark/status/1607347867298955264?t=XK2FpROzKR4t4vD0v_qQEg&s=19

Comment

If you order a pot of tea in Costa a recharge and replacement pot is foc

Comment

Today I learned that Gail has been in coronation street for 47 years.

Comment

Yes she and her friend rented as lodgers with Emily Bishop IIRC, after Ernie was shot. Not sure why the friend left.

Comment

Polish historian Stanislaw Estreicher, who died of uremia under Nazi imprisonment in Sachsenhausen after refusing to lead a puppet administration, was visited in Krakow by W.E.B. DuBois when the latter was studying in Germany in the 1890s.
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-12-2022, 19:15.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X