An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    I found out yesterday that a convention of comic book fans is a Comic Con. Having only ever heard the word on US sitcoms (mainly the Big Bang Theory) I'd always assumed it was al one word, comicon.
    It often is

For instance

and is frequently rendered as one word informally and in hashtags and the like even when it is officially two words (as the NYC version).

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      I'm reluctant to hold people out for ridicule, but in I'm bewildered at this Clash revelation. Joe and Mick sound as different as Barry White and Jimmy Sommerville. Not like, say, Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding.
      Only just seen this comment sorry WOM. Ridicule away, by all means, though I don't think (clearly) they sound that different. But then, I came across precisely three Clash songs (Should I Stay Or Should I Go, Rock The Casbah and London Calling) when I was a young teenager or so, yet all this time later I still don't know any other Clash songs – I mean, I know of their discography, I've just never listened to any of it. They're one of those acts where I'm always broadly pleased that they exist(ed), but in which I simply have no interest.

Comment

Yeah, sorry about that. It's funny....when I listen to some Beatles songs, I can't tell if it's John or Paul singing, which would equally shock Satchmo, I'm sure.

Joe sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles while Mick sings very nasally. I always pictured them, tonally, as the tough guy (Joe) and his mouthy mate (Mick).

I once saw BAD one night and Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros the next night, hoping ... hoping one would show up at the other's show...but it didn't happen.

If you want to give one Clash album a go, make it London Calling...which is an hour of rock solid tracks and maybe one or two duff ones.

Comment

I think that was Rolling Stone's top album of the 80s, despite having been released in 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            when I listen to some Beatles songs, I can't tell if it's John or Paul singing
            The trick here is that when it's John's voice, it's John singing, and vice versa for Paul. Remember that, and you're away, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

The trick here is that when it's John's voice, it's John singing, and vice versa for Paul. Remember that, and you're away, I reckon.
              Yes, smartass, but there were four of them. I mean, Ringo is obvious...he's the guy who sounds like your atonal mate Steve after a bit too much liquid courage on Karaoke night.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                I think that was Rolling Stone's top album of the 80s, despite having been released in 1979.
                It was their album of the 80s, and to be fair to them it wasn't released in the US until 1980, whereas in the UK it was rushed out for Christmas (they were still recording it in November, and the rushed release partly explains why Train in Vain was originally left off the track listing). Timing differences aside it was still a surprise choice at the time given the age of the album (and 1980 seemed a very long time ago in 1990) and how US-centric Rolling Stone was.
                ​​​​​​
                ​​

​​​

Comment

1) I didn't realize until hearing it today that Should I Stay Or Should I Go has some Burundi drumming in the chorus, the only part of it I liked.

2) Arthur Ashe wrote a three-part History Of The African-American Athlete

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Road-Glo...0-4513d670b6bc
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-10-2022, 13:25.

Comment

If you stick giant swivelling googly eyes on the front of a self-driving car, it reduces the chance of a pedestrian collision

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Tarot cards were designed to be playing cards, as an extended set
                      The antecedents of modern playing cards were around centuries before Tarot cards.

Comment

1) I didn't realize until hearing it today that Should I Stay Or Should I Go has some Burundi drumming in the chorus, the only part of it I liked.
                        Also, country singer Joe Ely received a songwriting credit for helping Strummer with the Spanish translations and a bit of the chorus singing.

Comment

Elon Musk is a Canadian citizen.

Comment

Livers are long-lived

https://twitter.com/CarissaCWWong/status/1581971691558686720?t=hbqDh5W4hzC3imHUW7o5Bw&s=19

Comment

The surname of the sheriff in The Dukes of Hazzard was Coltrane.

Comment

The surname of the sheriff in The Dukes of Hazzard was Coltrane.
                                What did you think it was? It came up in pretty much every episode *southern twang*"Sherf Roscoe Peeee Coltrane"

Comment

I must have erased it from the memory

Comment

The tow-truck driver, Cooter, went on to serve 4 years in the US House of Representatives (Ben Jones - Democrat, too).

Comment

The theme song singer and show narrator, Waylon Jennings, gave up his seat on the ill-fated airplane to Buddy Holly because Holly had a bad cold and the (winter) tour bus was unheated.

Comment

Golfer Bubba Watson owns the 'original' General Lee car and painted over the rooftop Confederate flag with an American one.

Comment

This concludes today's Dukes of Hazzard Trivia Festival.

Comment

The best episodes were the ones where the Sheriff's sidekick was called Anus

Comment

I wish that had occurred to ten-year old me.

Comment

10 year old me heard "Rossco Peeco Trane", Rossco and Peeco being a rhyming pair, although I didn't spend much time analysing it.

Comment

With hindsight the politics of the Dukes of Hazzard are a bit confusing. As a child I just saw the cheeky ruffians fighting against the evil capitalist Boss Hogg and his corrupt cop henchmen. But at that time I had no idea who General Lee was and what the flag represented.

Comment

From my discussions with people over the past decades, that was the case for virtually all European viewers and a depressingly large number of USians.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X