Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wisdom Of The Sheep.

Comment

And if you click on the downward-pointing arrows in the blue circle, you go to the first post made after you'd last visited that thread.

Comment

Am I going gaga?

Did I hear this here, or elsewhere?

There are two letter "o"s, a long one, and a short one and in Greek these were explicit

Long o, omega

Short o, omicro(n)

Comment

80% of orange cats are male.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
            Am I going gaga?

There are two letter "o"s, a long one, and a short one and in Greek these were explicit

Long o, omega

Short o, omicro(n)

I found out about that recently from RobWords on YouTube. Maybe that's where you heard it?

Comment

I think I posted it on here, when I found out (around the time when the word omicron suddenly became in very common use)

Comment

I went to Canada's Walk Of Fame on Simcoe.

Guess which one I took a picture of?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  80% of orange cats are male.
                  I thought it was an even higher percentage than that tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

WOM (based on the other thread)?

Comment

Oh, you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

RUSH

Comment

Interesting thing I learned today? No, not interesting, profoundly disturbing and depressing. I am three years older than Jacob Rees Mogg

(Thanks, but no thanks at all go to Bordeaux Education for this horrifying revelation)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            Interesting thing I learned today? No, not interesting, profoundly disturbing and depressing. I am three years older than Jacob Rees Mogg
                            Only in his current form.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

(Thanks, but no thanks at all go to Bordeaux Education for this horrifying revelation)
                              Well I’m one day older than Boris Johnson, so count yourself lucky. What a week that was.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Well I’m one day older than Boris Johnson, so count yourself lucky. What a week that was.

Careful, Sits. You're revealing your birth date.

I'm one day older than a particularly famous individual, but I've always managed to stop myself from revealing which one for reason's of security.

Comment

Already applied for an ID in the name of Sits Remote.

Comment

Wait until his son Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher is in the Cabinet, followed then by his son Sextus Dominatrix Cumface Christ On A Fucking Bike Rees-Mogg.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-09-2022, 15:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

At least your son doesn't look like a Boris Johnson lovechild.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                        I thought it [80% of orange cats are male] was an even higher percentage than that tbh.
                                        Yes, me too, from all I've heard over the years.

Curiously, I spent my whole childhood at least unaware of this – for much of which my auntie had a female ginger cat, and thus during which time (and for some while beyond) I assumed this was perfectly normal and unremarkable. I've however never come across another ginger one that wasn't male since then.

Comment

I googled around after EEG posted that and most sources say 80 or 81% male. It was something I'd never even been aware of before.

Comment

That's interesting, then, because it almost swerves back into being statistically remarkable that I've never knowingly met another ginger tom if one-in-five of the ones that colour are, in fact, male!

Out of interest, were you aware of the mirror-image stat, which is that tortoiseshell and calico cats are almost always female?

Comment

The calico colouring comes from X chromosomes so the likelihood of a male inheriting calico colours is very slim because (as I understand it) the X with the colouring almost always gets switched off when the embryo becomes male. I infer that orange is switched off in most male embryos but am not sure why, nor if/why this only applies to cats or also to other mammals; if the former, it would mean that the genetics of cat fur colour only evolved after the first cats emerged as a separate family of mammal, and maybe then only after small cats split off from the big cats (which IIRC started in the area that is now Israel).

One of our seven cats is a dilute calico domestic shorthair mix; an incredibly beautiful sweetheart and very affectionate (towards my wife mainly but let's me play with her) and never gets into fights with the other cats (not because she's timid but because she's secure on her territories and signals that, so the other cats know her boundaries).
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-09-2022, 02:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                                Am I going gaga?

Long o, omega

Short o, omicro(n)
                                                Yes this is correct. There are two versions of the Greek letter sigma as well depending where it appears in a word. (Plus the 'capital' version)

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

I found out about that recently from RobWords on YouTube. Maybe that's where you heard it?
                                                  Could well be the jobby

Cheers

Comment

The modern English usages of the relevant Greek words make it sound comically exaggerated to say that one "o" is "micro" and the other one is "mega".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X