No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of petrol stations, we arrived in Turkey on Saturday night and I was amazed by the number of them between Antalya airport and our hotel, an hour away. It felt like there was one every quarter of a mile.

Comment

All odd numbers have the letter e in them.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        The children of the Supreme Court-ordered breakup of Rockefeller's Standard Oil

Esso - Standard Oil of New Jersey
        Mobil - Standard Oil of New York (via Socony)
        BP (US) - Standard Oil of Ohio (via Sohio)
        Chevron - Standard Oil of California

It is not a coincidence that the Exxon-Mobil merger occurred in the same period as those among the "Baby Bells" that had come out of the court-ordered breakup of the original AT&T.
        And of course, owned and was branded as "Regent" in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
          All odd numbers have the letter e in them.
          And with letters written down in English, the first one to contain an "a" is 101

Comment

In 1975, Playboy readers voted for their favourite drummer:

5. Mick Fleetwood
            4. Keith Moon
            3. Ringo Starr
            2. John Bonham
            1. Karen Carpenter.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

What was so branded? And what is the reference to "owned" supposed to mean?

Comment

Lieutenant Pigeon is an anagram of "genuine potential"

Comment

The idea of something 'snowballing' isn't really correct. It should be 'snowwheeling':

Comment

Call me a cynic, but I think the Tyler grandchildren thing might need a bit of DNA testing. Septuagenarians aren't generally the most fecund. Late at night, the big old house gets lonely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                      A few of my lots fans have been banging on about us being the only English club to win a proper trophy under every monarch.

Comment

New things for me recently:

1. The senior general on Utah beach was the eldest son of the late President Teddy Roosevelt. Posthumous award for his bravery on that and other occasions after he died of natural causes a month or so later.

2. Macbeth was a real person. (a Scottish king, obvs.)

Comment

Just been told theyre stretching it a bit as our 1937 FAC win is included and the Nazi king was ran out of town in December 1936. The competition was in its earlier rounds under his regime though.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                            New things for me recently:

1. The senior general on Utah beach was the eldest son of the late President Teddy Roosevelt. Posthumous award for his bravery on that and other occasions after he died of natural causes a month or so later.

2. Macbeth was a real person. (a Scottish king, obvs.)
                            Number 1 was played by Henry Fonda in the Longest Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post

Just been told theyre stretching it a bit as our 1937 FAC win is included and the Nazi king was ran out of town in December 1936. The competition was in its earlier rounds under his regime though.
                              More to the point, didn't Sunderland win the league in 1935-36? I make the 1937 Cup win your moment of glory under George VI.

Comment

And apropos of the OP, Brian Borrows missed the 1987 Cup Final through injury. I'd have put actual cash on him having played.

Comment

Apparently the British imported the word 'loot' from a country that they were looting:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loot

History and Etymology for loot

Noun and Verb

Hindi & Urdu lūṭ; akin to Sanskrit luṇṭati he plunders
                                  Found on this feed, with thanks to the Queen dead thread:

https://twitter.com/SpiritofLenin/status/1568006399338205184

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    Apparently the British imported the word 'loot' from a country that they were looting:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loot

Found on this feed, with thanks to the Queen dead thread:

https://twitter.com/SpiritofLenin/status/1568006399338205184
                                    For context, as it's often hard to imagine how big a trillion is, £45 trillion is the equivalent of giving every single person currently living in India, all 1.38 billion of them, £32,608.70.

Comment

Or alternatively, it's the equivalent of £669,443.62 for every person currently living in the UK. Remember that next time anyone British claims to be "self-made".

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post

More to the point, didn't Sunderland win the league in 1935-36? I make the 1937 Cup win your moment of glory under George VI.
                                        Aaaaaah of course. I seem to have developed a form of royalty blindness there.

Comment

Although it's administered by Cadw, Caernarfon Castle is actually owned by King Charles III. (Inherited a few days ago)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            Although it's administered by Cadw, Caernarfon Castle is actually owned by King Charles III. (Inherited a few days ago)
                                            So in theory he could have it converted into luxury flats?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

And complete and utter bollocks

"Regent" was owned and operated by Texaco

Do better, Profumo

Comment

The only three 4 stacked interchanges in England are the M4/M5, M23/M25 and M4/M25

Comment

What precisely is a stacked interchange, here?

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_interchange

Comment

Working...
                                                    X