No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah but she was really well known before she even made a movie. If you write, produce and perform a play called Sex on Broadway — for which you were thrown in jail — and another one called The Drag, your notoriety precedes you by some distance by the time you get to Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
      The contract Charlie Chaplin signed with Mutual Film Corporation in 1916 earned him $670,000 a year. That’s in 1916dollars and equates to around $18m today.

As a child he’d lived in a Home for Pauper Children.
      In Walworth. Near Elephant & Castle. There is/was a statue of him at The Castle

Comment

I was watching a documentary about Laurel & Hardy a few days ago and I think they said that when the former first went over to the States, Chaplin was on the same boat.

Comment

Stan was an understudy to Charlie in Fred Karno's Army.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            Stan was an understudy to Charlie in Fred Karno's Army.

Ah, yes. That rings a bell. I think they said that Chaplin left the troupe almost as soon as he'd arrived in the States and that Laurel did a fairly decent job of impersonating him in performances for a while.

Comment

$18 million - in today's dollars - sounds crazy, but it's Jim Carrey money. But Chaplin wrote, directed and starred in 10 shorts in 1916 alone to earn it.

Comment

Those time series value of money calculators really don't work for the very top of the income scale.

Comment

We were watching an old episode of Porridge, and Mrs 1974ddr said 'that's Ronnie Barker' during the judge's sentencing speech at the start- you know the one, 'Norman Stanley Fletcher...'. Of course it is, but I'd honestly never registered the fact in the last 45 years or whatever.

Comment

You didn't notice that the sentencing judge who got temporarily banged up had the wrong voice?

Comment

Mae West also had a military life jacket named after her.

Comment

I know that because when we got Action Men my Dad referred to their life vests as Mae Wests. I had not heard of the movie star at this point, so imagine my confusion etc.

Comment

Ha, that Ronnie Barker opening credits voice thing has just stunned me!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            You didn't notice that the sentencing judge who got temporarily banged up had the wrong voice?
                            Nope, passed me by completely.

Comment

Add me to the list.

Comment

Jimi Hendrix suffered from sleep apnoea, which may have contributed to his death.

Comment

The life cycle of a jellyfish:
                                  https://www.google.com/search?q=medu...Gs7BBqLTwdi5wM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62291954

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_324902738

I guess if I had ever thought about it, I would have assumed that a baby jellyfish looked just like a tiny adult jellyfish. Not the case at all.

Comment

The existence of the motte and bailey fallacy.

Comment

If all of Taylor Swift's Instagram followers were a country, it would be the world's fifth largest.

Comment

I actually learned this yesterday, rather than today:

There’s apparently a fairly large school of thought in the US that the 6 panel interior door (the standard, super-boring interior door into bedrooms in the US) is all about christian symbology - the top part representing a cross and the bottom two panels representing an open bible. A google search seems to be undecided on whether this is a real thing dating back to the 18th century or earlier; or whether it’s full-blown urban myth bullshit.

Comment

I don't think I have lived in a house with a six panel interior door.

Comment

Nor have I, but we favour heathen climes

Comment

Apparently the witches can get in to your house and either kill or otherwise cast spells on you. Can I trust anything that either of you say ever again?

Comment

Given that we primarily pay attention to you to mock your lifestyle, perhaps not.

Comment

I am betting that San B is the second wave of six panel doors. Standard Fare Bernardhinault.
                                                  Last edited by caja-dglh; 26-07-2022, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Given that we primarily pay attention to you to mock your lifestyle, perhaps not.
                                                    I’d better not tell you how I learned about the god-bothering nature of these things.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X