No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a terribly inappropriate crush on Jennifer Lawrence and even I refer to her as Jennifer Hudson half the time.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I get Kristen Bell, Kristen Wiig, Kristen Stewart, Kristin Scott Thomas and Kirsten Dunst confused.

I also get Emma Stone, Emma Watson and Emily Blunt confused, and Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet.
      I difficulty remembering which is a Kristen and which a Kirsten without googling.

I think I posted last year that I have problems with the various posh Toms - Holland, Hollander, Hiddlestone and Hardy. I have to think of them as Spiderman, Thick of It, Loki and Bronson. I'm sure those aren't the roles by which they'd like to be remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
        Kristen Stewart's saga was Twilight. The Hunger Games saga was Jennifer Lawrence.

​​
        Haha you're absolutely right. I get the franchises confused

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

I difficulty remembering which is a Kristen and which a Kirsten without googling.

I think I posted last year that I have problems with the various posh Toms - Holland, Hollander, Hiddlestone and Hardy. I have to think of them as Spiderman, Thick of It, Loki and Bronson. I'm sure those aren't the roles by which they'd like to be remembered.
          Hardy is either Bane or the pilot in Dunkirk.

He was also Max in ​​Fury Road but I think of the other two first.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

One of my friends has a daughter called Kristen who I refer to as Kirsten about one time in three. When I apologise to my friend she says "Don't worry - her dad gets her name wrong all the time too."

Comment

I have a good friend named Brent who I call Brett about 30% of the time, and do the reverse with our agency president. I’ve been assured that it happens so often that neither of them notices any more.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                I also get Emma Stone, Emma Watson and Emily Blunt
                What did Emily Watson do to upset you?

And as a side note I get Lily James and Felicity Jones mixed up.

Comment

“While Christians account only for 1% of the population, there have been eight Christian Prime Ministers in Japan.”

Comment

“In The Abyss, real oxygenated fluorocarbon fluid was used in the rat fluid breathing scene. Dr. Johannes Kylstra and Dr. Peter Bennett of Duke University pioneered this technique and consulted on the film, giving detailed instructions on how to prepare the fluid. The only reason for cutting to the actors' faces was to avoid showing the rats defecating from momentary panic as they began breathing the fluid.”

“Five rats were used for five different takes, all of whom survived and were given antibiotic shots by a vet. The rat that actually appeared in the film died of natural causes a few weeks before the film opened. According to James Cameron, the scene with the rat had to be edited out of the UK movie version because ‘the Royal Veterinarian felt that it was painful for the rat.’James Cameron repeatedly assures that the rats used for this take didn't suffer any harm.”

Comment

I assumed Ann-Margret’s name was Anne Margaret. It’s actually Ann-Margret Olsson. She is Swedish.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I had no idea that Scott Joplin was black!
                        Ditto. Scott Joplin used to be my favourite composer to play on the piano back when I practiced regularly enough to be half decent at it. I'd never seen a photo of him.

Comment

We were talking about non-action action figures the other day and by coincidence an old friend who is a bit of a RotLA fan shared this one with me over the weekend. Not available in a molten version:

Comment

It's the bobblehead functionality that lifts it above the run-of-the-mill cute Nazi figurine.

Comment

In our teens, my mates and I created our own remake of Raiders on Super 8. I was cast as Toht, surely the least attractive/heroic character in the whole thing. I comfort myself that this was purely due to my being the only one with a suit.

Comment

It was a few years before it dawned on me that "Toht" was "Harris" from Porridge, (well, you know, the actor Ronald Lacey).

Comment

Harris:

He was arrested following a botched attempt to steal an elderly lady's handbag, as she had hidden a brick in it, and she succeeded in pinning Harris down until the police arrived.

Comment

And of course, if you take the Funko Pop out of its box, you could tell people it was Herr Flick and no-one would question it.

Comment

It was a few years before it dawned on me that "Toht" was "Harris" from Porridge, (well, you know, the actor Ronald Lacey).
                                      I remember him mainly from a late 60s BBC TV production of George Büchner's Woyzeck. Strangest looking dude I'd ever seen on television.

Comment

And I was cast as him.

Comment

Sometimes when societal norms have encouraged one to feel ambivalent about a personal quality, more supportive advice might be to embrace that quality, to own it.

It might be healing for you, Sits, to re-engage with your Ronald Lacey-ness, initially through something low key like a change of avatar but not ruling out the possibility of attending Comic Con in full costume at some point in the future.

Comment

The baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells in Blackadder II, the President in Buckaroo Banzai, parts in stuff like Red Sonja and Firefox. He was in loads and recognisable in not much, which is a great character trait.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              Sometimes when societal norms have encouraged one to feel ambivalent about a personal quality, more supportive advice might be to embrace that quality, to own it.

It might be healing for you, Sits, to re-engage with your Ronald Lacey-ness, initially through something low key like a change of avatar but not ruling out the possibility of attending Comic Con in full costume at some point in the future.
                                              I guess revisited, there’s a certain presence:

Comment

One of my friends has a daughter called Kristen who I refer to as Kirsten about one time in three. When I apologise to my friend she says "Don't worry - her dad gets her name wrong all the time too."
                                                As the latter is probably meant to be pronounced KEER-sten not "KUR-sten, it narrows the difference a little I guess.
                                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 27-02-2024, 12:44.

Comment

As we're back on the Kirsten/Kristen thing, I note that my cinema knowledge seems to have zero overlap with PT's. The 4 K**stens for whom PT hazarded a film credit (Mss Bell, Wiig, Stewart and Dunst) I couldn't identify or name a fact about to save my life, but the one where he drew a blank (Scott-Thomas) is reasonably well-known to me (but to be fair probably sticks in the memory mainly because I recall a colleague had some weird crush on her). Yes, she does "serious" movies - I think her best known role was probably in The English Patient - nearly 30 years ago now, blimey doesn't time fly?

Comment

Yes, The English Patient - I knew she did films like that but couldn't think of one.

The Seinfeld episode about The English Patient was the absolute pinnacle of that show.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X