No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given his TV persona I'd always assumed that Jack Hargreaves was from some rural part of the South or East of England.

He's actually from Palmers Green.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
      In a note passed to the Daily Mail, Steele said he "swore never to divulge publicly" what took place and he "regrets" that news leaked out.

The 71-year-old, who is currently appearing in a production of Dr Dolittle in Woking, said: "I can only hope he [Presley] can forgive me.
      Yeah, this is the sort of secret you'd really want to take to the grave. Here's hoping Dead Elvis forgives him. ffs.....

Comment

Apropos upthread

I vaguely knew of "The other Patti Smith", that she was called "Patty", but other than that nothing

And I don't know any of her works

Comment

I hope nobody is labouring under the impression that Patty Smyth (McEnroe's wife) is or was a big deal here. She had one hit in the '80s with Scandal (The Warrior). With a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you anything she'd done before or since. It's possible she was a regional 'big deal' somewhere in the US, but I doubt that.

Comment

Elvis did visit Paris while on leave but he took his entourage. We know from Prestwick that he wouldn't have got out of a London airport without being mobbed. He's not someone who could have donned a disguise.

You'd have thought someone with Ken Bruce's experience would have gently changed the subject (assuming this BS was a live interview).

Comment

As HP noted, Smyth was in constant rotation on MTV in 1987 and had a duet with Don Henley that made it to Number 2 in the US.

But she fell off very quickly and didn't put anything out at all between 1994 and 2015.

Comment

Pat Benatar pulled an equally successful post-'80s disappearing act, but at least she had a generous handful of major hits under her belt before doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Elvis also started dating Priscilla not long after his mother died, but Guralnick also describes him having three 14 year olds in his bedroom doing "rough-housing" in 1957 with their parents' consent (no suggestion of sexual activity but bizarrely naive by today's standards; and like a precedent for Jacko's activities later, even if you accept that neither Elvis nor MJ was deriving direct pleasure from the interactions).

Priscilla's age is apparently omitted from the current biopic (not seen it but am reading this in reviews).
                  What is 'rough-housing', exactly? Is it rude?

Also, as an interesting thing I never knew until today (thank you, AdC) there's a PNE in Vancouver. As far as I knew it just meant Preston North End.

Comment

Not rude. It's wrestling, like two kittens.

Comment

The PNE in Vancouver

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paci...nal_Exhibition

The arena was the home of the Vancouver Canucks ice hockey club for their first 25 years in the NHL

Comment

Elvis did visit Paris while on leave but he took his entourage. We know from Prestwick that he wouldn't have got out of a London airport without being mobbed. He's not someone who could have donned a disguise.

You'd have thought someone with Ken Bruce's experience would have gently changed the subject (assuming this BS was a live interview).
                        That's made clearer on the second BBC page I quoted from in my previous post: "He [Bill Kenwright] made the revelation on BBC Radio 2's Ken Bruce show 'Tracks of My Years.'"

The Tracks of my Years feature on Bruce's show is where each week a different celebrity picks five favourite songs that sum up their life and – Desert Island Discs-style – has them played along with a recorded interview interspersed with them. Except it goes out in five-minute segments across the five weekdays, rather than being a single programme like DID on Radio 4 or Private Passions on Radio 3.

So it wasn't live, the conversation between Bruce and Kenwright would've been taped then cut into chunks for broadcast presumably by the show's producer, who also presumably made the ultimate choice to broadcast the tasty revelation.

According to this page, "There are some interesting twists in the story. For instance, Lamar Fike claims that he was the one who met Tommy Steele in London. Lamar Fike was in Germany with Elvis and was a member of the famed Memphis Mafia." – which sounds a little more plausible given, as you note, Elvis's incredible level of fame and recognisability in 1958 meant it ought to have been virtually impossible for him even to get out of the airport. Unless, since he was apparently coming from Germany, he sneakily caught a military flight to a non-public airfield.

Indeed, the only possible likelihood would seem to lie in the pair having kept an incredibly low profile, as alluded to in a further excerpt from Kenwright's comments quoted in a contemporary Guardian article, which in general treats the whole thing very tongue-in-cheek:

"Tommy says, 'Who's this?'

'Elvis' says the voice. 'Get outta here', says Tommy. 'Are you as good as me?' says Elvis ... and they started this mock rivalry.

"It all came from that. It's quite something isn't it - the thought of them wandering around London together? But the impression I got was that they never got out of the car."

So not quite the missing link between Elvis, Marilyn and the moon landings then, but it's enough to persuade the Daily Mail to turn over their page three to the tale, and send some hack to Woking's New Victoria theatre, where Steele is currently appearing in Doctor Dolittle, to ask the 71-year-old about his secret past.

In a written note to the paper, presumably slipped under a door after five hours of haranguing, Steele revealed his disquiet at the revelation: "It was an event shared by two young men sharing the same love of their music and the same thrill of achieving something unimaginable.

"I swore never to divulge what took place and I regret that it has found some way of 'getting into the light'. I can only hope he can forgive me."

What do you mean, "can"? In the present tense? You don't mean to say ... He couldn't possibly ... Someone call the CIA!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          "It was an event shared by two young men sharing the same love of their music and the same thrill of achieving something unimaginable.

"I swore never to divulge what took place and I regret that it has found some way of 'getting into the light'. I can only hope he can forgive me."
                          What exactly did they get up to? It sounds like there was a pretty serious level of roughhousing involved.

Comment

Elvis seemed to like "rough-housing." According to Rita Moreno, who dated him a few times back in the day, they never actually had sex but there was a lot of "rolling around on the floor."

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              What exactly did they get up to? It sounds like there was a pretty serious level of roughhousing involved.
                              I don't know if you quoted my post by mistake there TAB, although out of context I can see how that bit could read like it was to do with the "roughhousing". But that bit in my post was nothing to do with it, it was about Tommy Steele talking about his regret that the story about him and Elvis sightseeing in London had got out.

Comment

Think that was part of TABs schtick re homoeroticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  Elvis seemed to like "rough-housing." According to Rita Moreno, who dated him a few times back in the day, they never actually had sex but there was a lot of "rolling around on the floor."
                                  Well If you saw what she did to animal!

That note doesn't seem very plausible does it.

Comment

Not remotely. It's in Elvis down the chip shop territory.

Comment

I'm prepared to believe that elvis swung a flight on a military plane, and met up with tommy steele, and they drove around looking at london. The bit about the "Just driving around, afraid to go in anywhere" bit strikes me as quite plausible. I doubt tommy Steele could go anywhere at the time. It's the note passed under the door apparently that reminds me of henry winter ghost writing steven gerrard's autobiography back in the day.

I've also seen the Elvis display in Prestwick It's a solid 60% of the wall coverings. Prestwick is very sad. It makes Shannon look like Heathrow.
                                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-07-2022, 23:01.

Comment

We stay in the camp site just across the road. Never been in.

Comment

Singapore's record temperature high is 37C, lower than the UK's.

The lowest temperature ever recorded in the country is 19C.

Comment

From 1965, when video cameras became available, Elvis filmed girls wrestling in their underwear. It was a fetish.

He also had this thing about not wanting to have full sex with "good girls". A virgin/whore thing.
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-07-2022, 05:16.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              I'm prepared to believe that elvis swung a flight on a military plane, and met up with tommy steele, and they drove around looking at london. The bit about the "Just driving around, afraid to go in anywhere" bit strikes me as quite plausible. I doubt tommy Steele could go anywhere at the time. It's the note passed under the door apparently that reminds me of henry winter ghost writing steven gerrard's autobiography back in the day.

I've also seen the Elvis display in Prestwick It's a solid 60% of the wall coverings. Prestwick is very sad. It makes Shannon look like Heathrow.
                                              Like Shannon the only reason for its continued existence is to serve as a cog in the military industrial complex, and shore up votes for local gom politicians.

Comment

There's no way that the US military would have permitted it. The whole purpose of Elvis being recruited was to treat him as an ordinary soldier, cutting him down to size, no privileges. He went to Paris while on leave.

Comment

The whole purpose of Elvis being recruited was to treat him as an ordinary soldier, cutting him down to size, no privileges.
                                                  Are you saying this is *why* he was recruited? To what end?

Comment

I thought that he was drafted.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X