Australian Federal Election 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Federal Election 2022

Incumbent Scott Morrison (Liberal/National alliance = right wing) has called this for 21st May. He launched his campaign by announcing he had saved 40,000 lives from COVID, the sheer bare-faced shamelessness of the man.

Opposition head Anthony Albanese (Labor) didn't exactly launch his campaign in grand style, admitting he knew neither the unemployment or cash rate and trying to spin this as a good thing.

If we just believe the word on the street Albo is the hot favourite but I have no doubt he will find a way to blow it.

Seems like only yesterday, the last one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
      Seems like only yesterday, the last one of these.
      Every 3 fucking years... heaven help us if these cunts get in again. I'm hoping less people will fall for their bullshit than did at the last election.

Comment

Blimey. That's often.

Comment

Australian residents or interested bystanders! Where do you sit on the political graph?

https://votecompass.abc.net.au
          Last edited by Sits; 07-05-2022, 01:52.

Comment

This was mine. A chart which proves that the party called “left” is bang in the centre.

Comment

Wow the Greens in Australia are really progressive. I did mine (I had to skip a couple of questions because I didn;t know what it meant (eg "Sunday penalty")

Annotation 2022-05-06 163150.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                Australian residents or interested bystanders! Where do you sit on the political graph?

https://<a href="https://votecompass...bc.net.au/</a>
                Link needs fixing

Comment

God I wish pics were easy to put on here. Might have got there in the end, let's see.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    Wow the Greens in Australia are really progressive. I did mine (I had to skip a couple of questions because I didn;t know what it meant (eg "Sunday penalty")
                    It’s the mandated minimum overtime rate you get for working Sundays. Well, not you.

Comment

auselects.png

The following two things are somehow simultaneously true:
                      - in the 2D plot, I'm further away from the Greens than TonTon is;
                      - in the table, I agree 99% with the Greens while TonTon agrees 95% with them.
                      Really curious to learn how exactly they torture the input data to arrive at these seemingly inconsistent conclusions.

Comment

Link needs fixing
                        Thanks, fixed.

Comment

It really seems to weight the degree of your response fairly heavily, in that I "somewhat" agreed with all of the standard left positions, and thus was 71% compatible with the Greens, whereas if I had "strongly" favoured the proposals, that would have put me on a par with TonTon and Sits.

Comment

After the first debate was on Sky News, Morrison refused to have one on ABC - the national broadcaster - and it was on commercial Channel Nine instead. And this happened.

https://twitter.com/karenmmiddleton/status/1523264034123837441?s=21

https://twitter.com/julianhillmp/status/1523262514351337474?s=21

Comment

I love Australian English, rort, what a word.

Comment

And Albo still won, by five. Then by two, then it was a draw. Farce is is the word.

Spent Friday putting out signage. Manning pre-poll next Saturday and a booth on election day. Labor has many, many, failings, but the Coalition are a bunch of absolute arseholes.

Labor ahead in the polls despite the mainstream media's efforts to run interference for Morrison and Co. Wild card will be the independents in Victoria and NSW (+1 in WA) and the extreme right as their preferences may assist the Coalition in some seats.

Nastier atmosphere than usual with signs being defaced or ripped down and abuse to party staffers.

Comment

I seem to recall the last time that Labour had significant poll leads right up until GE day, so evidently the "Shy Tory" is very much also a factor in Aussie politics.

Comment

Labor did indeed have a lead in the polls. However, the experts suggest it was an issue with methodology, subsequently fixed. We will see. Here in WA at the 2021 state election everyone said the polls (predicting a 59% and 57% primary vote vote for Labor) could not possibly be right. Labor's primary vote was 59.9%. Nobody is taking anything for granted here as heaven knows how dirty Murdoch's outlets will get now because they are desperate.

That said the anger against Scott Morrison was palpable last year and it doesn't seem to have dissipated much.

Pre-poll starts today so we'll see.

Comment

What is pre-poll?

Comment

What per centage of ballots in Australian elections are inadvertently spoilt from people not following the instructions in full? I saw a sample ballot paper online and I have to say, I reckon that a good 50% of the UK population would not be literate or possibly even numerate enough to complete it properly.

Comment

What is pre-poll?
                                          Early voting

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                            I love Australian English, rort, what a word.
                                            It’s open slather for that sort of thing at election time.

Comment

Pre-poll was originally for a limited number of voters who could prove they would not be in their electorate on election day, so they were allowed to vote early. Last federal election there was three weeks of pre-poll and about a third of the electorate voted early (basically nobody asked them for proof). Down to two weeks this time but apparently double the first day turnout compared to 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                What per centage of ballots in Australian elections are inadvertently spoilt from people not following the instructions in full? I saw a sample ballot paper online and I have to say, I reckon that a good 50% of the UK population would not be literate or possibly even numerate enough to complete it properly.
                                                ah come on.

Comment

If Rogin has studied the evidence and come to that conclusion, who are we to argue?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X