No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit a Joann Fabric anywhere and be utterly amazed at the square footage and army of staff being supported by a small, but steady, stream of older women buying fabric by the yard and various balls of scratchy acrylic yarns.

(margins are about 8.5%, so not too shabby...)

Comment

A lot of those Duane Reades (including the one closest to us) closed due to the combined effects of the merger with Walgreens and the pandemic.

The enduring ubiquity of such places (including "independents" here) also reflects that over-the-counter stuff is also very high margin. "Drugstores" in NYC don't sell lawn furniture or tyres.

Comment

Missed opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          Estate agents probably ought to be locked in somewhere.
          #NOTALLESTATEAGENTS

Comment

Only short ones....

Comment

First Fratelli pizza in three years!

Comment

It's interesting reading about massive American pharmacies. The most successful chain here (not checked) is Chemist Warehouse. They are everywhere and their model is to cram as much stock as possible into the tiniest workable premises. They also beat everyone else on price. The shops are very tight - Mrs. S won't use them because they make her claustrophobic - but once you're used to them they're great as long as you know there isn't room to pass someone in the aisles. Off the top of my head there are at least five in central Sydney and I don't doubt they are very profitable.

Comment

The massive US pharmacies sell all kinds of things, though. Not just pharma. If you want valentines card, a bottle of bourbon, a box of chocolates, some isotonic sports drink, a Halloween pumpkin carving kit, razor blades, make up, a microwave burrito, a knee brace, a box of sugary cereal, 500 ibuprofens or something on a prescription, CVS is your thing

Comment

Typical Chemist Warehouse interior. This will be at least half of the full width of the shop.

Comment

MY EYES

Comment

Helpful ceiling signage. Because nobody knows the 'scrips go to the back of the store.

Comment

I am quite happy to see things that make US shopping experiences seem... measured.

Comment

Fortunately they don't overdo the exteriors.

Comment

CRIKEY.

Particularly love the "ENTRY" sign.

Comment

The little pavement sign is the best. Just in case you walk past and miss it.

Comment

The pharmacy where I get my prescriptions filled is downstairs in the building where I live. If they shut down I would cry. Aetna made me opt out of their CVS mail order program so that I could continue supporting the small business brick and mortar. I feel bad for the poor guy on the other end of the phone who had to listen to my rant about how Big Pharma wants to drive the smaller shops out of business and they don't care and that's why our drug prices are so high, etc., etc., etc. I ended with "I'm sorry, I know this is not your fault personally. Have a nice day."

Comment

I don't understand the mentality of people who complain about trolls and other unpleasant people posting replies on their FB posts when they've set the privacy for the post to public. FFS, if you are sincerely bothered by it, you would lock that shit down. I'm thinking of two specific friends of mine (it's no one from OTF)--one of them is probably just clueless and the other, I've concluded, is a desperate, sad little attention seeker and probably a narcissist. Every time he writes about having to block a mean person, his hangers-on immediately post notes of support and sympathy. LIke, oh, you poor thing, I'm so sorry you have to put up with that mean person. Ugh.

edited to remove offensive word
                                    Last edited by Femme Folle; 25-01-2023, 14:17.

Comment

Femme Folle you have to get value out of Oz creating a worse pharmacist.

Comment

Aetna used to be fine with leaving it up to the customer (aka, patient) to decide about using mail order on a case by case basis. Suddenly they're owned by CVS and they're giving customers the option to shop elsewhere but only if you’ve told them in advance for each individual script, or pay full price. Greedy motherfuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          #NOTALLESTATEAGENTS
                                          I'm willing to accept that theoretically there might be some who should just be sent to a re-education camp, rather than anything worse, I guess. Theoretically.

Comment

Pharmacies here are strictly controlled as to their total numbers in a neighbourhood. If you have a chemists in a small village, then you have a guaranteed cash cow. Drug pricing is pretty much standard across the country and you can't buy aspirin etc. in general shops.

Comment

I would not live anywhere that had shops like that one up there. It's horrific.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                The UK house buying system makes the US one seem almost simple and benign.
                                                Yesterday was 10 days to completion date for me. Then the solicitors rang and told me that the vendors' ongoing purchase had fallen through. So that's back to square one.

It's fair to say I was not in the best of moods yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                                  I don't understand the mentality of people who complain about trolls and other unpleasant people posting replies on their FB posts when they've set the privacy for the post to public. FFS, if you are sincerely bothered by it, you would lock that shit down. I'm thinking of two specific friends of mine (it's no one from OTF)--one of them is probably just clueless and the other, I've concluded, is an attention whore and probably a narcissist. Every time he writes about having to block a mean person, his hangers-on immediately post notes of support and sympathy. LIke, oh, you poor thing, I'm so sorry you have to put up with that mean person. Ugh.
                                                  There's a guy who posts in a Shrewsbury Town FC group on Facebook. He is unbelievably negative (even compared to the normal negativity in such a group). But he doesn't like pushback at all. He then posts about how he has reported people to the group admins and how horrible people are being to him. Which generates more pushback and pisstaking.

Attention whore is a good term for it.

Anyone who says "I'm entitled to my opinion" is just entitled.

Comment

I'd not be using "whore" as a slur myself, in any context.

Is your man happy about your excellent win last night?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X