No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is all about torsion springs (US) vs extension springs (UK) I think. Torsion springs are scary.

Comment

Mine was an extension spring. Two actually; one on each side. Each about 20-24 inches long...and menacing.

My FIL has a tiny torsion spring on his microwave oven door (opens down, not to the side) and he's snapped no less than 3 of them in the past five years.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        If you had a garage you'd fill it with Tony Gwynn baseball cards and obscure lego collectibles, rather than put a car in it, wouldn't you?
        Well, duh.

Probably build a train set tbh.

Comment

Speaking of torsion springs, I'd long wondered what the little circle just in front of the rear wheel is for on old Karmann Ghias and Porsches. It's a little access hatch. The disc pops out and you slide the rear torsion bars (which are about 2 1/2 feet long) out the hole if you need to change or adjust them.

Comment

The scary bit on the torsion spring is getting the torsion and not being the home repair guy who gets hit in the face by whatever was pegging it in place.

Comment

On picture frames, from a few pages back. We'd love to have loads of framed pictures in our house. And we know all about the trick of buying crappy art from the charity shops and just using the frames. But nothing lasts for long in our house. While clearing out my office I now have a drawer which contains about six or seven broken picture frames. They variously contained pictures of Winnie the Pooh, a painting of a pear on a cardboard box which my husband and I bought from our favourite restaurant in Clapham when we first moved in together, and several family photographs. We used to put them up on the walls or on shelves but our son has invariably pulled them down and smashed them over the years (he doesn't mean to break things, he loves them, and accidentally loves them to death). We're a bit disheartened currently and have lost enthusiasm for fixing the frames and putting them back up when they'll only get broken again (see also why two of the windows in our house still don't have blinds or curtains up).

Is this another one of those red flags in the "our son likely has autism and/or ADHD" bucket, or do everyone's children continually pull down picture frames and blinds in their house?

Comment

One of the wife’s obsessions is the utterly useless nature of most English garages. Middle son on the other extreme had the standard garage in his house design extended.

Comment

Charleston meat coma.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                    Charleston meat coma.
                    How many people was this intended to feed??

Comment

It's not all meat. What dish is that centre bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                        One of the wife’s obsessions is the utterly useless nature of most English garages. Middle son on the other extreme had the standard garage in his house design extended.
                        We really don't need them for our cars, that's the thing. So mostly we don't have them, or we have things called garages that are really sheds.
                        Last edited by TonTon; 05-10-2022, 10:13.

Comment

My home insurance renewal has arrived. Well over £150 higher than last year. I haven't made any claims.

Think I'll be visiting those meerkats soon.

Comment

Our up and over garage door in England once fell off its brackets as I was opening it. It fell on Mrs. S’ Nova and dented the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                              Our up and over garage door in England once fell off its brackets as I was opening it.
                              A masterpiece of passive voice use

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                It looks like the stuff they put in doner kebabs in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  Our up and over garage door in England once fell off its brackets as I was opening it. It fell on Mrs. S’ Nova and dented the roof.

For a second there I thought that you were introducing us to an ex- who you referred to as Mrs. Supernova, (that's quite nice, I thought, though I'm not sure why he decided to abbreviate the name and referring to someone's head as their roof is a new one on me).

Now I'm up to speed, did Mrs. S. react to the damage with calm acceptance or did she kick you up and down the back garden for a couple of hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I'm going for pulled pork.

Comment

As it were.

Comment

Remarkably calmly as it happens, and it was a great little car too. Naturally she realised it was an accident, and I was just an innocent part of an inevitable sequence of events.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                          Charleston meat coma.
                                          Rodney Scotts, or Lewis BBQ? I prefer Lewis, I think. Although Lewis is more Texas-y.

Comment

I also like Swig & Swine down by the Wando, although that will be a slog for you to get to (they also have an incredible Nutter Butter pie), and Home Team on Sullivan's always smells great when I cycle past it.

Can obviously offer you a bunch of recommendations if you're in need.

Comment

Are they sport peppers top right? Anyroad, it looks absolutely fucking disgusting.

Comment

My guess is, clockwise from top right:

Brisket, hot link (sausage), pork rinds, pickles, mac & cheese, corn pudding (or corn bread, but it looks like corn pudding), pulled pork, ribs, and in the middle beans.

Experience suggests that if two people are eating this you get through about 25-30%, and take the rest home and eat fantastic sandwiches for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                  My guess is, clockwise from top right:

Brisket, hot link (sausage), pork rinds, pickles, mac & cheese, corn pudding (or corn bread, but it looks like corn pudding), pulled pork, ribs, and in the middle beans.

Experience suggests that if two people are eating this you get through about 25-30%, and take the rest home and eat fantastic sandwiches for a week.

Top left.

Comment

Oops. Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X