X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The garage in context:

Comment

Comment

Oh, I do like that little jutty-out window above the front door.

Comment

Niiiiice. I'd be proud to keep my wheelie bins behind that.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            Oh, I do like that little jutty-out window above the front door.

That's the window of the third bedroom, which was my daughter's before the loft conversion. She's now in the old master bedroom, to the right, Mrs. NS and I are up in the loft and her old bedroom is now Mrs. NS's office/emergency bedroom.

Comment

I clicked on a Zillow link for a gorgeous, unrestored MCM in Racine, and now the algorithm thinks I'm dying to live in suburban Milwaukee and sends me 10 listings every morning.
              Today's Zillow email gave me a handful of very affordable bungalows in Racine, WI and three mansions in La Jolla, CA for between $32,000,000 and $45,000,000. I think their algorithm needs some refining.

Comment

You're obviously a higher end customer than me. My Zillow email started with two $5m houses in La Jolla

Comment

Someone here (me?) posted a $50 million Republican monstrosity in La Jolla last week and I clicked all over it. It's my own damn fault.

Comment

Feast your eyes on what can only be described as 'mid-century surfing cabin'.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...kb93j7rd_8w9nd

Comment

Someone here (me?) posted a $50 million Republican monstrosity in La Jolla last week and I clicked all over it. It's my own damn fault.
                      That was me. My wife looks at properties all over San Diego and will copy me on either really pretty stuff or absolute horror shows.

Meanwhile, your Racine cabin looks fantastic, and incredibly affordable. I'm not sure what the surfing is like. Generally better in La Jolla, I imagine.

Comment

This is the glorious La Jolla mid-century house that came up for me as my first on Zillow this morning. Ridiculously priced given that all the write-up is about how much remodelling you need to do. But stunning bones and stunning views:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...16851590_zpid/

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          stunning bones and stunning views:
                          Would be a great Twitter bio
                          Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 04-10-2022, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            This is the glorious La Jolla mid-century house that came up for me as my first on Zillow this morning. Ridiculously priced given that all the write-up is about how much remodelling you need to do. But stunning bones and stunning views:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...16851590_zpid/
                            The views are great. I'm not very keen on the house, mind.

Comment

Yeah, Zillow sent me that one, too. It's a bit spendy.

[Also, crazy amount of water damage to the ceiling in pics 3 and 4. Blown in from the ocean, maybe?]
                              Last edited by WOM; 04-10-2022, 16:37.

Comment

Our garage has an entirely manual door -- while the house itself is WW2-era vintage, the door is relatively recent, I think one of the people who had the house before us just cheaped out (there was at least one couple who were trying to flip it and got caught out by the housing bubble).

Comment

Does the UK use spring-loaded doors or are they all light and flimsy like the one's my parents had? The springs on my one broke and I learned the door weighs about 300lb.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                    Does the UK use spring-loaded doors or are they all light and flimsy like the one's my parents had? The springs on my one broke and I learned the door weighs about 300lb.

Well, I reckon that my new door is spring loaded but weighs in some way south of 300lbs. It's not a subject I know much about, but I'd have thought that most doors are actually pretty light these days.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                      The springs on my one broke and I learned the door weighs about 300lb, so i strapped it to my back and yomped the Illinois stretch of the Lewis & Clark.
                                      I mean, I'd probably believe it.

Comment

I mean, of course I tried to lift it. Which was fine as a deadlift but then I was never going to move it further than that. I just remember the ones at my parents felt like they were made of (light) plastic.

Comment

When I removed my door, no matter how cautious I was, the spring still almost took my head off. Those things are heavy and nasty.

Comment

I wish I had a garage. My brother has a big standalone garage. It's the only aspect of his life I envy.

Comment

If you had a garage you'd fill it with Tony Gwynn baseball cards and obscure lego collectibles, rather than put a car in it, wouldn't you?

Comment

And yes, garage doors (here) are insanely heavy and have all kinds of warnings about not releasing them or undoing the springs.

Comment

After 2 and a half years of anyone in my household catching the covid, Mrs Slacks has finally succumbed (no worse than a headcold…so far). Me and the MiL took tests too, but are negative still (so far).

Comment

I'm glad we weren't the only ones who dodged it for nearly 2.5 years and have suddenly become a disease infested hovel.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X