Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Blimey.
    You should see the cat wall. It's at the top of the stairs, just opposite the loo. Nothing but cat-related art. Black cats, mostly. Tomb of Ligeia movie poster and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      I got the strong impression that, for him, it was one of the most insulting, offensive jobs he ever been given to do...
      A few of the ones we've bought are absolutely shit paintings, beautifully framed. Gorgeous matting, solid craftsmanship, paper backing and well-strung for hanging. Just....crap art in 'em. Like....someone's nan took a watercolour painting course.

Comment

I think if I opened a framing shop, I'd call it We've Got You Surrounded.

Comment

We have a picture from a greeting card in a posh frame with gilt fillet, large card mount and gilt frame. The frame probably cost about fifty times what the card did, but it looks nice. We also have a $5 poster/map of Martha’s Vineyard in a much pricier frame.
          Last edited by Sits; 04-10-2022, 12:02.

Comment

I absolutely fill up whenever I see this clip: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/63128944

RIP Jim Redmond.

Comment

Just had a much needed haircut at a local barber I’ve not used before. They threw in a beard tidy and shave, plus used some wax to sort out the nose and ear hairs that grow at an alarming rate these days (an unwanted quid pro quo to make up for the progressively bare solar panel at my crown, no doubt).

Now I’m used to the flaming cotton ball being wafted around the ears, and sticking some pencil-shaped trimmer up yer hooter. But bloody hell, this hurt when they rip off the hardened wax after. Not sure I’ll be requesting that service again quickly.

Comment

I'm having my garage door replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                  I'm having my garage door replaced.
                  Pics or it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Pics or it didn't happen.

It's currently in progress. Old:

Comment

Actually, "old" was probably superfluous there, wasn't it!

Comment

I can't wait to see WOM's reaction to that being a "garage" and not a "shed".

Comment

That is one of those garages you couldn't get a modern car into, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            I can't wait to see WOM's reaction to that being a "garage" and not a "shed".

TBH, we use it as a shed. You'd only be able to get a very small car in there, even if it wasn't full of "stuff."

Comment

I'm not sure there are many garages in North America that only open manually rather than with a remote control from the car. Let alone ones that are so small you'd not be able to get out of a Mini unless you parked over to one side.

Comment

There are still lots in cities (see, e.g., alleys in DC), but virtually none used to house automobiles

Comment

Don't all US homes have enormo-garages right across the front, uglying up the whole house?

Comment

Only those that SB owns

Comment

I thought that NA houses either have enormo-garages or no garages (as in Ursus's pic). I didn't know there were still old school ones in alleys.

Comment

There are also pre-WWII suburban houses with garages similar to NS'

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Only those that SB owns
                                          I should point out that the Winter Palace doesn't have any garage at all.

In San Diego we were in the tiny minority that used our garage to put cars in rather than just using it to store huge amounts of shit that nobody wanted to throw out. At least in Massachusetts people have to use their garages for the traditional purpose because the winter is too miserable to leave cars outside.

Comment

Jayzus....who drove into that door.....twice?

It looks like a Canadian garage door after a decade of driveway hockey.

Comment

I assume everyone has met this guy by now....

Comment

Jayzus....who drove into that door.....twice?

It looks like a Canadian garage door after a decade of driveway hockey.

Heh! Not us, guv. We inherited the damage when we moved here...a long time ago!

My dad did ease a plastic rubbish bin against it once or twice with the front bumper of his car.

Comment

Just a straight replacement with another roll-up metal one?

Comment

Just a straight replacement with another roll-up metal one?

It's an up-and-over door and the replacement is too. I think that the internal structure of the garage limits our options anyway, but I was quite happy to go for one of the cheaper options given that it's just a glorified storage facility. Having an electronic door, as my daughter wanted, seemed to be an extravagance, given that it would smoothly reveal nothing more than paint pots, plastic crates and our refuse wheelie bins.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X