Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread V

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I really don't get how they went so wrong. If you just stick cashew nuts in a blender, you get cashew nut butter which is delicious.

    Somehow instead they've mixed it with a whole load of other "organic" "sugar-free" "healthy" ingredients and produced a liquified gloop which is entirely the wrong texture and tastes horrible.
    Last edited by Balderdasha; 22-09-2022, 20:37.

    Comment


      Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
      Had yet another sinus appointment this morning, where my doctor has decided that he wants to essentially power wash them ("I'd do it in the office but there's too much liquid involved"), so I have that to look forward to. For some reason he also wanted to talk about the queen.
      I had a periodontal cleaning yesterday, with all the brutality and blood that it usually involves. But my periodontist seemed distracted. He could have had me in and out of there in 20 minutes, but kept stopping to talk about all kinds of things but mostly the ankle operation that his significant other had, and how he'd spent so much of the summer driving around to see and look after her and how he told her that proved he loved her and didn't need to marry her, plus about his candidacy for some role at the American Dental Association, plus about his upcoming trip to Italy (I kept trying to warn him that even if Delta said it was OK, a 1hr20 transfer at Heathrow could be very, very tight on a flight out of Venice and on the Boston), and finally about his retirement - which, if this is the new standard, I'm not unhappy about.

      I think I almost might have preferred him to have talked about the queen.

      At least my teeth seem to be in reasonable shape now, but I might prefer to have deep pockets in the gums than listen to him blather on for another hour.

      Comment


        Off to New York in the next couple of days. Any must see exhibitions or happenings, ursus arctos? Got Pet Shop Boys and New Order on Wednesday, but looking to fill my time outside that.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
          Incidentally, nutcessity certified peanut-free nut butters are absolutely vile. Avoid like the plague. So disgusting that I'm going to be sending them back and demanding a full refund.
          I don't think it was that brand but I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with another nut butter. It tasted like what wet cigarette ash smells like and it was so gritty it felt like I'd sandpapered my tongue.

          Comment


            If Little Amal is still here you should definitely see her

            https://www.walkwithamal.org/events/

            The Food and Analog City exhibitions at the Museum of the City of New York are worth seeing

            https://www.mcny.org/exhibitions

            The Lou Reed show at the Library for the Performing Arts may interest you

            https://www.nypl.org/events/exhibitions/lou-reed

            Green-wood Cemetery has a bunch of interesting things going on at a great time of year to visit

            https://www.green-wood.com/calendar/

            Queens Night Market if you are around on a weekend

            https://queensnightmarket.com/

            The San Gennaro Festival runs through the 25th if you want to gape at tourists

            https://sangennaronyc.org/

            The ferries are always fun. I am particularly fond of those to Throgs Neck, Sunset Park, Red Hook and Rockaway

            https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/

            Other amusements are of course available

            Comment


              That's a great list, thank you.

              Comment


                There's a fucking meatball eating contest. Finally my life has meaning.

                Comment


                  I genuinely can't think of anything more tacky and awful than a meatball eating contest in Little Italy during the San Gennaro festival. Like something from The Sopranos if it was on the Food Channel. I'm in fucking heaven.

                  Comment


                    The Tenement Museum looked interesting, but we didn't get there.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      The Tenement Museum looked interesting, but we didn't get there.
                      That's on my list, definitely. I love a bit of first generation immigrant misery.

                      Comment


                        Just to say that red pepper houmous spread thickly on some freshly made bread is one of my absolutely favourite food treats.

                        If I sprinkled it with olives, I might just not be able to stop eating until the entire loaf was gone.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by EIM View Post

                          That's on my list, definitely. I love a bit of first generation immigrant misery.

                          You've obviously heard my wife whinging about British plumbing.

                          Comment


                            You should definitely go to the Tenement Museum

                            It would a perfect pendant to San Gennaro, but very worthwhile in its own right.
                            ​​​​​

                            Comment


                              Checking back in. I am inordinately proud of the (quiet) stramash I created about Falafel.

                              Beirut Canteen remains fucking fantastic.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                Checking back in. I am inordinately proud of the (quiet) stramash I created about Falafel.
                                Well Bored hasn't seen it yet so it still might all blow up like The Great Couscous War.

                                Comment


                                  One can only hope.

                                  Comment


                                    You just want to watch the world burn.

                                    Comment


                                      BOREDOFEDUCATIONHASTHEINCORRECTOPINIONABOUTFALAFEL . THE CUNT.

                                      Comment


                                        Talking about food, this is delicious:

                                        https://www.spain.info/en/recipe/ajoarriero/

                                        Comment


                                          And yes, I have insomnia.

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            If Little Amal is still here you should definitely see her

                                            https://www.walkwithamal.org/events/

                                            The Food and Analog City exhibitions at the Museum of the City of New York are worth seeing

                                            https://www.mcny.org/exhibitions

                                            The Lou Reed show at the Library for the Performing Arts may interest you

                                            https://www.nypl.org/events/exhibitions/lou-reed

                                            Green-wood Cemetery has a bunch of interesting things going on at a great time of year to visit

                                            https://www.green-wood.com/calendar/

                                            Queens Night Market if you are around on a weekend

                                            https://queensnightmarket.com/

                                            The San Gennaro Festival runs through the 25th if you want to gape at tourists

                                            https://sangennaronyc.org/

                                            The ferries are always fun. I am particularly fond of those to Throgs Neck, Sunset Park, Red Hook and Rockaway

                                            https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/

                                            Other amusements are of course available
                                            We liked El Museo de Barrio but it seems to be temporarily closed. The nearby Museum of the City of New York is also good.

                                            Comment


                                              Chickpeas are good with cod.

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                                Falafels are delicious
                                                But that's the thing. To be delicious they have to have some flavour. I've tried a number of them and they taste of barely anything. That's what so disappointing. They look and smell like they should be jam packed with proteiny, umami-ish flavour like a good burger (veggie or meat) But actually they taste of almost nothing, except (as I said) a vague hint of coriander which has the power to make anything taste like medical soap.
                                                It's like saying cucumber is delicious. Or iceberg lettuce. Or Bud Lite.

                                                Comment


                                                  I like cucumber.

                                                  Comment


                                                    Yeah but it's not delicious, is it? At best it's "meh" +- 10%
                                                    No one ever said "Cucumber?! Fuck yeah!"

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X