No announcement yet.

Food abominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Your" is doing a lot of lifting there. But point taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      Points for the effort, but it doesn’t work the way they’d probably hoped.

Comment

I think all Union Flags would be better if the white bits were squirted from a mayo bottle.

Comment

Kinda craving that fish finger pizza that was posted elsewhere.

Comment

The seed encrusted captain Birdseye fillet that is getting advertising at the moment.

Clarence Birdseye is a real name?

Comment

Looks a bit Basque more than anything else (apart from the Basque country being really good at food and that).

Comment

Outside of Pueblo, Colorado at a truck stop I saw a vast line of rolling sausages that just went on and on.

I've seen the hot dogs on perpetual rollers before, but never one w/ over a dozen.

Not so much an abomination, but a great collection of abominable foods. And yes, I've always wanted to ask the workers "how long do you leave them out there?"
                Last edited by Cal Alamein; 20-06-2022, 03:42.

Comment

You call it an abomination, I call it mouth watering.

Comment

They're all very uniform. I prefer knobbly food.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                      . And yes, I've always wanted to ask the workers "how long do you leave them out there?"
                      Based on my experience working in a cinema, we would open the foil packet of ambient sausages (could be stored at room temperature for anything up to 18 months) at about 1.30 just before we opened. They took about 30 minutes to fully warm up on the rollers. We were supposed to heat test them with a probe after 30 minutes when they were "ready". It was perfectly possible for a sausage to stay on the roller until we closed at 10pm or midnight (weekends) if it was exceptionally slow. At that point any unsold sausages were binned.

Comment

Used up some plant-based ‘bacon rashers’ approaching their use-by date yesterday, that Mrs Slacks had bought a while ago and forgotten about. Absolutely vile. First thing I’ve cooked then slung straight in the bin for a long time.

Comment

Yeah. I've been vegetarian for 30 years. I can tolerate most vegetarian meat substitutes if I have to but vegetarian bacon is most definitely an abomination. It's never anything like the real thing, is always disgusting and is utterly pointless.

My son really likes Quorn picnic eggs so we usually get a packet a week as an easy protein-based snack food for him. One week Sainsbury's substituted them with vegan "egg" bites. We were willing to give them a try but they were so vile that the entire packet got binned after the first taste. When Sainsbury's tried substituting them again, we sent them straight back and told the driver how revolting they are (not that that does any good).

Comment

I don't buy Quorn picnic eggs because I can very easily eat a whole packet of them.

Comment

ambient sausages (could be stored at room temperature for anything up to 18 months)
                              Say what now?

Comment

Balderdasha, I'm sure this is teaching you how to suck (vegan) eggs, but you can mark the ones you like as not to be substituted.

Comment

Our Ukrainian guests tried baked beans for the first time yesterday. I was assuming they would add them to their list of food abominations immediately, but they said they liked them.

Comment

I saw Ambient Sausages supporting Future Doom at Deptford Abyss.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                      Our Ukrainian guests tried baked beans for the first time yesterday. I was assuming they would add them to their list of food abominations immediately, but they said they liked them.
                                      That's because they're ace.

[The beans and the Ukrainians]

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post

I'd very much like to hear all about how this is going if and when you have the time, (hosting Ukrainian refugees, that is, not introducing baked beans to random strangers).

Comment

It is going well so far. We have a mum and her (just) 5 year old daughter. They both seem very nice. The mum had told us that she barely spoke any English, but actually she has a decent basic understanding - we can have simple conversations in English. The daughter doesn't speak any English, but that hasn't stopped her playing happily with our 6 year old. We are lucky to be able to live in a big house (what ad hoc would probably term a vast mansion) so we have been able to give them a big bedroom and en suite bathroom so they have some space to themselves and don't have to interact with us if they don't want to.

They don't seem too traumatised, though I'm sure they must be given that they've left their husband/father and parents/grandparents in Kyiv as well as all their friends. They are worried about the child having to go to school as she wouldn't be starting it at 5 back home but it's compulsory here from 5.

There is a good deal of support available for them, but a lot of forms to fill in to access it, so we're spending a lot of time helping them work their way through that.

Our town centre has a twice weekly hub for Ukrainians which is very useful for allowing them to meet other compatriots as well as accessing useful information.

Frankly though, it's been no trouble at all for us given the sacrifices they have had to make.

Our friends nearby who took in a dad and three kids, two of them teenagers and one who is 7 have found they are basically being asked to parent the kids as the dad isn't that interested in doing it (I'm not sure how he was allowed to leave as I didn't think men of working/fighting age could). They says the kids are all lovely, but it wasn't quite what they were signing up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                            Say what now?
                                            They are packaged in foil and pickled in chemicals. And can be stored for 18 months at room temperature.

The ambient cheese that went with the nachos had a five year shelf life. It was yellow goop in a giant bag inside a box.

Comment

Shelf-stable cheese does terrify me. Somehow it's more terrifying than ambient sausages. On a road trip I love finding weird things on the sausage-and-taquito rollers, so Cal's photo looks like a panopticon of excitement. US petrol station warm food is both terrible and joyful at the same time. I mean, sometimes it's genuinely just terrible. But a lot of the time, provided you find joy in grease and empty calories, it's a lot of fun to eat.

Comment

Can someone enlighten me on the use of the word "ambient" in this thread. I've never heard of ambient cheese or ambient sausages, and as I've only really encountered ambient as an adjective related to the local conditions (ambient temperature, ambient lighting, etc) ambient cheese sounds fucking terrifying

Comment

Room temperature?

Comment

It means it can be stored at room temperature and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X